PDA

View Full Version : Directions From Suches, Ga to USFS #42

Zzzzdyd
02-02-2006, 23:53
parking lot just north of Springer please. It's only been two years , but I can't remember the numbers and turns from Suches up to the the lot. I
keep remembering taking 60 east and bearing right just east of Suches,
Ga., seems like there's a building where you turn I think ?, is it Cooper Gap
Rd. ? and doesn't it lead into USFS #42 several miles in ? I do not
remember making any turns once I left 60 and left the pavement.

Can anyone help me out please ? :o

Almost There
02-03-2006, 00:01
On the trail map it shows the road being across from Woody Lake just north of Woody Gap. After leaving the pavement you will drive a few miles until you come to a fork stay to your right and you stay on 42, if you bear to your left you end up on 55. You are right however, after leaving 60 and the pavement you are in fact on 42, but you need to stay to your right. From there you stay straight until you hit Hightower Gap. You want to stay to your left here. Now keep straight and you will cross over 58. Keep going and you should eventually see the Springer Lot on your right side, be careful depending on weather you can miss it...but shouldn't!!!

Dances with Mice
02-03-2006, 00:04
parking lot just north of Springer please. It's only been two years , but I can't remember the numbers and turns from Suches up to the the lot. I
keep remembering taking 60 east and bearing right just east of Suches,
Ga., seems like there's a building where you turn I think ?, is it Cooper Gap
Rd. ? and doesn't it lead into USFS #42 several miles in ? I do not
remember making any turns once I left 60 and left the pavement.Can anyone help me out please ? :o OK, let's say you're in Suches at the BP station, corner of GA-60 & 180, right? Go inside that BP and buy the "Guide to North Georgia Wildlife Management Areas" map, it'll be on your left as you walk in the door, next to the cash register.

Then drive east on Ga-60 towards Woody Gap. There will be a lake on your left. Immediately past the lake, on your right will be a very closed store, white, with a sign that's still readable "Tritt's Country Store". US-42 is the road beside it. 42 will be paved, turning to gravel about a hundred yards or so before Gooch Gap. Continue straight ('straight' being a relative term) to Springer.

Zzzzdyd
02-03-2006, 00:27
Headed that way a week from tomorrow Whooo Hoooo !!

Almost There
02-03-2006, 00:34
We'll be up there Saturday night. Maybe we'll see you!

Zzzzdyd
02-04-2006, 20:09
We'll be up there Saturday night. Maybe we'll see you!

a email !!

generoll
02-05-2006, 11:15
if you'd like to spend less time on dirt roads and more time on paved to can always go to Springer via Ellijay. then it's only about 6 miles of dirt road after the turnoff.

Zzzzdyd
02-05-2006, 16:00
if you'd like to spend less time on dirt roads and more time on paved to can always go to Springer via Ellijay. then it's only about 6 miles of dirt road after the turnoff.

Where's the turnoff ? :>))

Zzzzdyd
02-05-2006, 16:20
if you'd like to spend less time on dirt roads and more
time on paved to can always go to Springer via Ellijay. then it's only about
6 miles of dirt road after the turnoff.

From GA Hwy. 52 in Cartecay (12.1 miles west of Amicalola Falls State
Park or 7.4 miles east of Ellijay), turn north on Roy Road between Methodist
Church and Stanley's Grocery and go 9.7 miles to end of road. Turn right
and go 2.2 miles to Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church (these are paved roads).
Turn right onto gravel USFS Road #42 and go 6.8 miles to the parking area
on north side of road.

Skidsteer
02-05-2006, 16:28
From GA Hwy. 52 in Cartecay (12.1 miles west of Amicalola Falls State
Park or 7.4 miles east of Ellijay), turn north on Roy Road between Methodist
Church and Stanley's Grocery and go 9.7 miles to end of road. Turn right
and go 2.2 miles to Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church (these are paved roads).
Turn right onto gravel USFS Road #42 and go 6.8 miles to the parking area
on north side of road.

Yes, close enough.

papa john
02-05-2006, 18:06
There are a couple of turns that you have to make back up there so be sure to watch the signs closely.

The one time I drove it, we got lost where you have to make a very hard turn back to the left. It was at a junction of about 5 roads and the signs for 42 were down or could not be seen.

Zzzzdyd
02-05-2006, 18:10
We will watch for the signs closely. We went up this way back in '98 I think
it was, but sheese all I remember now is the church landmark !! lol

There are a couple of turns that you have to make back up there so be sure to watch the signs closely.

The one time I drove it, we got lost where you have to make a very hard turn back to the left. It was at a junction of about 5 roads and the signs for 42 were down or could not be seen.

generoll
02-05-2006, 21:06
as i recall, if you take Roy Road the point where you turn right onto another road is Big Creek Road. You can just turn off GA 52 onto Big Creek Road which you will come to first if you are headed out of Ellijay going east and stay on that road until you see the sign for the forest and for Springer.

papa john
02-05-2006, 22:47
Just be sure to turn BEFORE the church. If you continue on the paved road past the church you will end up in Nimblewill Gap. The roads deteroriate pretty fast after that. We got stuck past the gap and it took me several hours to get my van back up to a point where we could turn around.