View Full Version : Titanium bad taste?

03-17-2006, 19:19
I bought a Snow Peak titanium 450 ml mug yesterday with the intention of using it to replace both a pot and a cup. However, after washing it I took two sips of water from it and had the most disgusting metal taste in my mouth for the next twelve hours. I tried cleaning my teeth, using mouthwash, eating, drinking - even chocolate, but nothing would get rid if the taste.

I washed it several times, scrubbing it hard with detergent and a brush. I boiled it for two hours in a big pot and washed it again. It's better than it was, but just licking the side of the cup still tastes bad. The bad taste seems to intensify over an hour or so, and last all day. When the cup dries it's kind of blotchy looking, and water beads on it like it's been waxed.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Any suggestions other than taking it back for a refund?

03-17-2006, 20:28
Try putting it on your stove for a while and heating it up until the coating burns off. Some metals are coated with a gummy oil to keep them looking nice on the shelf and it creates the same splotchy, water beading effect you are experiencing. If it doesn't work I don't know if you could take it back then though. But worst case you can give it to a hiking buddy for their birthday or something.

03-17-2006, 21:08
Some bare metals leave a weird taste no matter what you do... you probably have a coating on it as stated, I'd suggest using something a bit stronger than boiling water or soap cause the coating is probably petroleum based. try harsh alcohol and a brillo pad. everclear is good cause its non toxic. then rinse it well preferably in the dishwasher. if that doesnt work you probably just have a weird reaction to titanium...

03-17-2006, 23:18
Wow. I have lots of titanium stuff and have never had this experience. Is it possible it's just a bad run? Maybe you could take it back to where you bought it and exchange it. Or, is it possible there are such things as titanium allergies?

03-18-2006, 14:43
Or, is it possible there are such things as titanium allergies?

I dunno about allergies but I do know some people have that bad taste reaction to certain metals, copper, stainless, silver, titanium etc... My friend swares my steel canteen cup taste funny but no one else does. :confused:

03-18-2006, 15:15
In case anyone wants to know:
There are many levels of Titanium~such as T1 thru T4
Number T1 level one as the most purest and best.
By chance maybe Snow Peak got a bad batch and you should return it for another cup.

It is very rare to have a allergic reaction to it..but hey there is always some things outside the box :p
This thread made me jump up and test my new MSR Titanium Kettle I had just gotten in the mail. I would of hated to find this out on the trail.

I would CALL whom ever you purchased the cup from and return it for sure.
Hope this works out for you.

03-18-2006, 18:05
Thanks for the tips. As far as I can tell, 'titanium allergy' is a myth, and even the mythology seems to revolve around dermatitis and other illnesses. Titanium is used in composite dental fillings, so if there was a bad taste for even a small percentage of the population it would be all over the net.

Regarding the different ti types, most of them are pure ti but are made differently to achieve different properties. There are also a few alloys containing al, cr and soforth. I don't have any problems with other metals, so it seems unlikely that ti should be a problem.

So I have to assume that it's some horrible coating. It's probably exacerbated by the rolled lip on the rim, which seems to have a cavity inside and probably contains a difficult to remove residue of the yukky stuff.

I'll try all of the non-destructive approaches first, like engine degreaser and perhaps vinegar. If nothing else works then I could try Coke, but that would probably dissolve the whole cup :)

I'll post the end of the saga in a few days when I've either removed the offending coating or returned the cup.

03-18-2006, 21:02
yep i had sporks, they tasted funny, so i went to "da" plastic", but not my cut, must have something to do with teeth.

03-19-2006, 00:07
I think it might be that uneasy feeling some people get when they get their teeth on metal. YMMV.

03-19-2006, 05:49
I degreased it, washed it with detergent, boiled it for two hours, washed it again, then let it fry in its own juice on a hotplate for an hour. It seems to have done the trick. At least it's usable now, although there's still a slight metallic taste like sucking on a brass key.

I might even get a chance to use it in anger soon. Tropical Cyclone Larry is due to hit in the next 8-12 hours with winds up to 280 kph (175 mph), and I'm living bang in the middle of its path. I've stocked up on water and filled a gallon container of fuel for my MSR XGK. I should be okay for a week without power or water. One of the great things about being a backpacker is that we're basically always prepared. Widespread flooding is forecast, so if worst comes to worst I can nail my bombproof tunnel tent to the roof and live the life of Riley. Assuming I still have a roof.

Oh well, wish me luck :) I really should bring in a bunch of breeze blocks to barricade the doors and elevate the furniture.

03-19-2006, 10:51
I never thought I'd say this but I really hope you don't have to go "camping" this weekend! Good luck.

03-19-2006, 11:10
One of the great things about being a backpacker is that we're basically always prepared.

good luck... i got to be a hero when Hurricane Rita struck... went right over me (though i'm pretty far inland, so we didn't get wiped out, just severely damaged). my hammock made sleeping without air conditioning in 95*+ temps with high humidity almost bearable, and i got to impress my wife and kids with my stove cooking skills.

03-19-2006, 15:58

Take care Aramis.

03-19-2006, 16:07
I'm trying out this sort of origami-esque thin plastic cup/bowl. I'll let you know how it goes. I forget what it's called exactly, but it weighs next to nothing and folds out flat to store easily.

03-19-2006, 18:06
Fortunately for us the cyclone contracted as it intensified, so it's just another rainy day around here, albeit an unusually drafty one. The coast north of us is going through the blender though.

I've seen those origami things. I might carry one for guests, but I can't see one being my everyday mug.

03-20-2006, 12:30
Aramis, Glad you weathered (pun intended) the storm. I understand it was bad in some areas. Thank goodness no lives were lost. Try out the camping stuff anyway!

07-14-2006, 21:46
I thought I should add to this thread just in case anyone else might experience the 'foul taste' issue. Once I ripped the handles and handle mounting plate off the mug and scrubbed, boiled and burned it within an inch of its life, not only did the bad taste disappear but it has become one of my favourite bits of gear - I even use it as a tea mug at home.

07-14-2006, 22:46
I'm trying out this sort of origami-esque thin plastic cup/bowl. I'll let you know how it goes. I forget what it's called exactly, but it weighs next to nothing and folds out flat to store easily.
Good luck with it. You'll use it 6-10 times and then it will either leak or crack completely. I bought two from a store with an exchange only policy. I exchanged them three times until finally I just gave up.