PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce CADES COVE ???

markellag
10-25-2006, 07:49
How do you pronounce CADES COVE ???

CAD' ES 2 sylables or
Cades 1 sylable

dixicritter
10-25-2006, 07:52
Cades 1 syllable long a sound

Lone Wolf
10-25-2006, 07:53
Cades 1 syllable. Like blades.

drdewrag
10-25-2006, 09:17
Cove - one syllable - like stove (sorry)

SGT Rock
10-25-2006, 09:20
I pronounce it: "HOME"

I can't wait to get back.

Lone Wolf
10-25-2006, 09:21
What's your ETA?

SGT Rock
10-25-2006, 09:24
Well it looks like things are changing around here. All I know is sometime between 17 Feb and 10 Mar I should be drinking whiskey on my own porch looking at those mountains.

Lone Wolf
10-25-2006, 09:28
You still planning on the hiker thing at Fontana sometime in March? I plan on driving down to Springer mid Marchish and could help ya out.

SGT Rock
10-25-2006, 09:33
Yep. I think I will be home well before 10 March. I plan to do it sometime around the 12th of March I think. That way I get a good bit of the north-bounders and the boys are around and out of school to help out.

humunuku
10-25-2006, 09:34
I should be drinking whiskey on my own porch looking at those mountains. or looking at those new condos/housing developments they're trying to put in on the side of foothills parkway. (i think i recall you saying you live near butterfly gap rd, right?)

SGT Rock
10-25-2006, 09:43
Yes, I live down the road from Butterfly gap road. My back porch looks at the ridgeline where Foothills Parkway goes. But I wouldn't have a direct view of those condos - at least I don't think I would. There is a spur off the ridge that I think would block my view of them.

dixicritter
10-25-2006, 10:54
Nebo Mountain's in the way I think dear.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-25-2006, 11:01
Nebo Mountain - now I'm askeered. One of the residents of Nebo Mountain shot the back windshield out of my vehicle back when I worked in child protective services because I had removed her granddaughter. She later feed me some pickled bear meat durng a home visit... I'm not sure which was worse.

dixicritter
10-25-2006, 11:03
LOL... we don't live on it...... THANK GOD!!!!!

StarLyte
10-25-2006, 11:04
Well it looks like things are changing around here. All I know is sometime between 17 Feb and 10 Mar I should be drinking whiskey on my own porch looking at those mountains.

Woohoo----I know you're family is jumping for joy or dancing like this stupid banana >>>>>>:banana

dixicritter
10-25-2006, 11:11
Woohoo----I know you're family is jumping for joy or dancing like this stupid banana >>>>>>:banana

Keeping my fingers crossed they don't decide to keep him longer!

SGT Rock
10-25-2006, 11:32
Nebo Mountain's in the way I think dear.

No Nebo is East of us, Butterfly gap is West of us. There is a spur off Chilhowee ridge that is in-between Fall Branch and Barb Hollow that should block our view of Butterfly gap.

dixicritter
10-25-2006, 13:00
No Nebo is East of us, Butterfly gap is West of us. There is a spur off Chilhowee ridge that is in-between Fall Branch and Barb Hollow that should block our view of Butterfly gap.

yeah ok... so now you show everyone why I have this Avatar...LOL.

There's still mountains between us and them right? ;)

humunuku
10-25-2006, 20:33
FYI----> http://www.savechilhoweemountain.org/

SGT Rock
10-26-2006, 03:12
Nebo Mountain - now I'm askeered. One of the residents of Nebo Mountain shot the back windshield out of my vehicle back when I worked in child protective services because I had removed her granddaughter. She later feed me some pickled bear meat durng a home visit... I'm not sure which was worse.

You're a brave soul going up on Nebo Mountain to do something like that. Someone that has never been up on Nebo Mountain has no idea what it is like and it would be near impossible to describe.

When you went up there, was the "No Speeding on Nebo Mountain" sign there?

SGT Rock
10-26-2006, 03:18
FYI----> http://www.savechilhoweemountain.org/

Looks like they are going to be building on the south side of Chilhowee Mountain so the new owners can stare at the beauty of the Smokies while everyone else gets to see a ruined ridge-line full of condos. You know, I recently read "Strangers in High Places" and the original intent of the park was to go all the way to the Chilhowee Ridge-line - they just couldn't get enough money to buy the land and handle the legal problems of buying out some of the residents who didn't want to sell.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-26-2006, 09:43
YWhen you went up there, was the "No Speeding on Nebo Mountain" sign there?No, that was put up when someone hit one of the Russell families' kids up on top. Every halloween whoever was on call for CPS got called out to Payne Hollow (a dead end dirt road on Nebo Mtn.) and they would cut a tree out behind you to trap your vehicle. I carried a chain saw....

I also had to take two Nebo kids to a family funeral in a church with a dirt floor, no electricity and a wood stove - I exited the church in haste when they started pulling rattlers out of a box up next to the pulpit. :eek: The kids laughed at me.

RockyTrail
10-26-2006, 10:26
Currently there seem to be a great many "retirement" communities being built in the southern Appalachians apparently driven by the demand from the large baby-boomer population just now turning 60. But, in 15 years or so, when this crop turns 75-80 you will see a massive change as they retreat to the nursing homes and medical support systems back in the city.

So, if you wait 15 years there will be some real "deals" on mountain property, but the natural beauty may be gone by then...:( Or, if the development can be held off a few years it may be saved. Just my theory, yours may vary.

SGT Rock
10-27-2006, 03:28
No, that was put up when someone hit one of the Russell families' kids up on top. Every halloween whoever was on call for CPS got called out to Payne Hollow (a dead end dirt road on Nebo Mtn.) and they would cut a tree out behind you to trap your vehicle. I carried a chain saw....

I also had to take two Nebo kids to a family funeral in a church with a dirt floor, no electricity and a wood stove - I exited the church in haste when they started pulling rattlers out of a box up next to the pulpit. :eek: The kids laughed at me.

Well you have to go past Barb Hollow Road turn for Payne Hollow to be a dead end. I live on the corner of Payne Hallow Road and Laws Chapel.:D

Pokey2006
10-27-2006, 03:32
Wow! I don't know anything about this Nebo place, but I sure have renewed respect for Frolicking Dinosaurs!

SGT Rock
10-27-2006, 03:45
You ought to Pokey. I wouldn't want to go up on Nebo mountain to take kids from those folks. Although my wife has gotten involved to try and help a family clean up in order to get their kids back.

HikerGuyTom
10-31-2006, 17:27
Cades Cove and the surrounding area is gorgeous. That..and the cost of living back there made my decision to retire in Tennessee an easy one.

You're extremely lucky, Dixie and Rock.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-31-2006, 18:33
Well you have to go past Barb Hollow Road turn for Payne Hollow to be a dead end. I live on the corner of Payne Hallow Road and Laws Chapel.:DPayne Hollow used to go all the way thru to Nebo Mountain Loop Road - it has a dead end on both sides now. You live on good side. :D Rumor has it that the Payne clan had a still in that area like 70 years ago and closed the road - the the state officers were to scared to go up there and reopen the road. I have chased a child down the road (don't ask) and it appears to have been a rock/ dirt road much like Rich Mountain Road on the Cades Cove side of Acy Gap.

SGT Rock
11-01-2006, 00:29
Well I have an old map that shows it going all the way to Butterfly gap, but I didn't know it went over to Nebo Mountain Loop.