PDA

View Full Version : Going Commando

Brother in Arms
05-20-2007, 21:44
Ok for everyone not familiar with the popular sland term "going commando" it means not wearing undergarments. I guess the question is this a good idea when hiking? Gents have many choices when it comes to underwear... tighty whiteys, boxers, boxer briefs ect...but myself I don't bother with them...most of made of cotton which is no good..but when I did wear grundies I wore silk boxers hiking which I also used for swimming.

What does everyone else do?

any advice would be good as this is my first thru hike and I don't want to be feeling the burn so to speak.

Brother in Arms

unl1988
05-20-2007, 22:23
I wear a pair of running shorts with liners, quick drying brands like Nike work best for me.

aaroniguana
05-20-2007, 22:41
I have a pair of soccer shorts that I wear, they have a support lining. Works great.

Footslogger
05-20-2007, 22:46
It's the only way to go. Much cooler and less laundry.

'Slogger

saimyoji
05-21-2007, 11:31
Check closely for ticks. :eek:

DawnTreader
05-21-2007, 11:33
sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.. I'm so ripped that sometimes my muscular thighs rub me wrong :).. Then I put on a pair of doufold boxer briefs....
I deffinetly appreciate the benifits of going commando though..

Johnny Swank
05-21-2007, 11:34
I cut the liner out my nylon short. Ventilation is where it's at, but watch for the skitters!

Brother in Arms
05-21-2007, 18:06
thanks for the info guys...

Johnny swank...for a minute when I read "skitters" I thought you meant "skidda's" which is something all together different than "Skeeters" in here Maine...LOL

Brother in Arms

Chache
05-21-2007, 20:24
Way more info than i needed. Hope I can get this visual out of my head.

Rainman
05-22-2007, 13:58
Yes. Add a little Body Glide to the inside of your thighs and you will really reduce chafing. On the Long Trail in '05 I chafed myself raw in three days wearing Patagonia briefs. Three days of commando and medicated cream and it was healed. I walked commando with Body Glide the rest of the way and had no problems.

Chache
05-22-2007, 16:17
Yes. Add a little Body Glide to the inside of your thighs and you will really reduce chafing. On the Long Trail in '05 I chafed myself raw in three days wearing Patagonia briefs. Three days of commando and medicated cream and it was healed. I walked commando with Body Glide the rest of the way and had no problems.
This is like watching a bad accident. I don't like to look but some how I do.

Gaiter
05-22-2007, 19:08
i know i'm not a guy but I can't help that no one has mentioned a kilt or hiking skirt, that will greatly improve breathability down yonder.

Brother in Arms
05-22-2007, 21:55
Thickred
I have considered a Hiking kilt myself...but I dont think I have time to obtain one before I hit the trail...also seems like a good way for skeeters to find there way in. But other than that not a bad idea. I may get one when I get to warmer climes

Brother in Arms

Gaiter
05-22-2007, 22:26
i use a macabi skirt, they make a men's verison, i just slide on thermals under if its cold

Chache
05-22-2007, 23:00
Now its getting exciting

warraghiyagey
05-23-2007, 00:14
sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.. I'm so ripped that sometimes my muscular thighs rub me wrong :).. Then I put on a pair of doufold boxer briefs....
I deffinetly appreciate the benifits of going commando though..

Ripped? The Duderino? About as ripped as a french fry after a long hot day in the summer sun if memory serves.:D

Nightwalker
05-23-2007, 00:24
i know i'm not a guy but I can't help that no one has mentioned a kilt or hiking skirt, that will greatly improve breathability down yonder.

Gutsy told me that commando under a kilt was what gave girls the same advantage as guys in pee-standing-up department. She said she'd just step to the side of the trail, widen her stance and let 'er go.

I haven't seen her in awhile, but she's one of my favorite hiker broads of all times.

Gaiter
05-23-2007, 01:09
haven't mastered peeing standing up, but its alot easier in a skirt no need for CanDoWillDo's cathole lazer. http://www.flickr.com/photos/traildays_07/508026677/in/set-72157600239606073/ lol

Rainman
05-23-2007, 09:03
This is like watching a bad accident. I don't like to look but some how I do.

Rubber necker! I only look when I see a guy beating a dead horse.

Footslogger
05-23-2007, 09:12
[quote=Nightwalker;365338]Gutsy told me that commando under a kilt was what gave girls the same advantage as guys in pee-standing-up department.
====================================

The Kilt/Commando combination is one of the best kept secrets in all of backpacking. After contracting a raging case of chafe in 2003 I bought into the whole Kilt thing at the outfitter in Gatlinburg. If it wasn't for that decision I don't think I could have kept hiking.

'Slogger

Brother in Arms
05-23-2007, 10:28
wow this discussion is going my way more all the time....gal going comando under there skirts.....now this is getting interesting.

as for wearing a kilt I am definitly man enough to do so. As my hick freinds say "I aint scared"

Im definitly going commando and probably kilted.

Brother in Arms

Trail Yeti
05-23-2007, 11:01
BIA,
search "kilts" on whiteblaze for threads on different brands pro/cons.
I switch between mtn hardwear and sportkilt.

Blissful
05-23-2007, 17:32
Just ordered one for my hubby from Sportkilt for "Father's Day" early- the new hiking kilt they list on the home page. They e-mailed me back pronto when I had questions.

Doctari
05-23-2007, 19:00
I wear a kilt while hiking, & I wear it "the proper way" which means "commando style". Way way way more comfy to me than shorts. I do carry a pair of cotton underwear for in town use, & a very UL pair of nylon shorts for whatever.

Mr. Clean
05-24-2007, 04:00
A kilt commando is the only way to go, just be aware of what you are doing so you don't have any kilt mishaps. I was standing on a boulder in Mahoosuc Notch one time talking with some folk when all of a sudden I hear a voice from below me saying "Oops, guy in a kilt!". I look down and a woman was crawling out from under the boulder I was standing on. At least she found the humor in it.

Marta
05-24-2007, 06:12
I"m glad y'all have found something that works for you, i.e., kilts and skirts and going commando, but I've tried it and prefer shorts in the summer and tights in the winter. I like having fabrics wick sweat away instead of depending on evaporation--which frequently doesn't seem to happen in the humid east.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Doctari
05-24-2007, 07:40
A kilt commando is the only way to go, just be aware of what you are doing so you don't have any kilt mishaps. I was standing on a boulder in Mahoosuc Notch one time talking with some folk when all of a sudden I hear a voice from below me saying "Oops, guy in a kilt!". I look down and a woman was crawling out from under the boulder I was standing on. At least she found the humor in it.

"Be aware of what you are doing" is so true. If wearing a kilt for the first time you need to practice sitting at home, watch how your wife/girlfriend/female friends sit when wearing a skirt: knees TOGETHER, not the way "Us guys" sit with the knees apart. Iv'e been wearing a kilt about 2 to 3 days a week for about 3 years & still have to think about it sometimes. OR: be sure to tuck the front apron tween your legs to "Block the view" cause no one really wants to see that view. :eek:

Footslogger
05-24-2007, 09:22
[quote=Mr. Clean;365773]A kilt commando is the only way to go, just be aware of what you are doing so you don't have any kilt mishaps.
=====================================

Yeah ...for example, guys aren't accustomed to sitting with their knees together. Can give rise to some stares and/or comments from hikers sitting across from you around the fire.

'Slogger

Footslogger
05-24-2007, 09:23
Darn ...Doctari beat me to it !!

'Slogger

Gaiter
05-24-2007, 09:32
and if you choose to go in a long skirt like the macabi, you don't have to worry about the modesty issue so much (well depending on the position), but you do have to learn to deal w/ the length, practice walking up stairs.

damush
05-25-2007, 17:36
I once hiked with a guy(once) who broke out a tub of vaseline at the trailhead...i got really scared when he said he had "to grease the boys"...look, if your beans or your frank are going to cause chafing issues, wear some damn drawers. I prefer a lined pair of nylon swim trunks. going commando is something that has to be built up to, and i don't think it's necessary.

Chache
05-25-2007, 17:41
wow this discussion is going my way more all the time....gal going comando under there skirts.....now this is getting interesting.

as for wearing a kilt I am definitly man enough to do so. As my hick freinds say "I aint scared"

Im definitly going commando and probably kilted.

Brother in Arms
Sounds like you got a --tilt in your kilt

warraghiyagey
05-25-2007, 21:47
I once hiked with a guy(once) who broke out a tub of vaseline at the trailhead...i got really scared when he said he had "to grease the boys"...look, if your beans or your frank are going to cause chafing issues, wear some damn drawers. I prefer a lined pair of nylon swim trunks. going commando is something that has to be built up to, and i don't think it's necessary.

Good for you.
Thanks for letting us all know what's necessary. Any other thoughts as to freedom of choice that we may be in error on? We're transfixed by your opinions.
And thanks for the crass story. That was really, well . . . crass. Good thing you only hiked (once) with the guy. Must've been scary, you towing the line of existence and all. Sure you only hiked once with the guy? 'Methinks thou dost protest too much.'
By the way, the area that you described the guy applying the medication he knew he needed to, isn't generally considered food.
Enjoy your cookout.

Brother in Arms
07-28-2007, 20:26
warrieghey

I hope you and Brit managed to get together....I really liked that bloke. By the way going commando was allright....but vaseline did work....gold bond did to a point and the breech cloth was the best.

Brother in Arms

superman
07-28-2007, 21:09
Commando or not I found that "Chafing Relief Powder-Gel" by soothing care, Monistat works better than anything else I'd tried.

iliketacos
07-28-2007, 21:39
I went commando for a few days cause my expensive patagonia undies were just too funky to wear after a long coupla wet days. My only advice is to put on the undies if you experience chafing that is unwelcome-get the chafing you want off the trail.

Chaco Taco
07-28-2007, 21:41
I only hike commando. Take a thing of Goldbond. Am def going to switch to a kilt after my next trip. Do like the body glide idea.

JAK
07-29-2007, 08:23
I like to mix it up. Depends on the weather, and the state of my constitution, if you know what I mean. Sometimes flannel boxers. Sometimes running shorts. Going commando is good for some parts of the operation, but not for others. When I get up in the morning the first thing I do set up my portable met station. Check the wind speed, air temperature, humidity, barometric pressure. Make the neccessary conversions, like station pressure to sea level pressure. Consideration must be given for changes in elevation for the planned hike, as there may be frost in low lieing areas. You always want to check the dew point. Shaking it helps, but there are always a few more drops.

CherrypieScout
07-29-2007, 10:15
After fussing with a bees, wasps, biting forse flies, I decided that I would never hke in a skirt - comando or not!

Roland
07-29-2007, 13:02
After fussing with a bees, wasps, biting forse flies, I decided that I would never hke in a skirt - comando or not!

Ouch!

I'm not a skirt kind of guy, and your post will ensure that I stay that way.

warraghiyagey
07-29-2007, 15:21
warrieghey

I hope you and Brit managed to get together....I really liked that bloke. By the way going commando was allright....but vaseline did work....gold bond did to a point and the breech cloth was the best.

Brother in Arms

Hey Brother,
Brit did catch me up in Andover and we hiked together with Smokey through most of NH before I had to get off the trail for a couple of weeks to paint a house.
I'll be meeting them in Dalton to continue our trip south to Springer.:)
How's your hike? PM me.
Peace