View Full Version : Partner(s) for north bound hike in march
Well i'm heading north from springer this march and looking for someone to join me. Everyone I have asked has said they would rather spend their time doing something else then "just hiking in the woods for that long". Well to each his own...but anyone out there wanting to start off with me is more than welcome. I have all my gear and have been planning since October. It would be nice to start early march but i'm flexible. well I hope for some replies...if not i'm heading north with or without. Good luck this year! -Tyler
Might want to give more info:
- What is your daily milage for a full days hike 1) in the hills and 2) on level ground.
- What time do you like to get to camp/leave in the AM? I know this depends on the days hike, but for the average day.... what times?
- Whats your hiking schedule been like so far, have you been training with a full pack?
- Seeing that you just joined on 1-4-2008, what kind of hiking, backpacking have you done and for how long? What other sports are you into that'll give someone a better idea of how youll be able to handle yourself out there?
- How long have you givin yourself to finish the hike.
- How long have you wanted to do the trail, how long have you studied the trail?
This should help you find a partner.
There will be quite a few people leaving in March. I would recommend just starting solo - you will meet plenty of people in the first couple weeks, and it will be easier to determine who is going your pace and who you would get along with. I honestly haven't heard of many hiking partners that start together and end together.
There is usually a surge around March 1, if you're looking to start a bit early.
If you get to the smokies by the 8th or 9th of march I could join you through the park. I want to do that section on my spring break.
Don't be hesitant to go alone to Springer. There will be plenty of folks out there. Groups can have adverse affects on your hiking anyways. If you do go with a group, hike the trail the way YOU want to. This is not to say that partners or groups do not work, they do. I hike with people all of the time, and it works out great. We all do our own thing though. I will be heading north through the smokies to Hot Springs in late march- maybe I will see you out there --Good Luckl
I agree with others here, just start solo and you will find hiking partners right away.