PDA

View Full Version : Migraine to Maine

maxNcathy
02-07-2008, 18:12
I am always speaking to people inviting them to come hiking on the AT for 6 weeks each spring..

Well, one lady gets severe migraines often.
She retires soon and would like to try hiking and backpacking with us.

She wants my opinion as to whether migraines would ruin her hike.

Last year during my 6 week hike I never got one headache and at home i get at least 2 per week of moderate intensity.

Have you found that your headaches became less or more frequent or intense while out hiking strenuously?

Appalachian Tater
02-07-2008, 18:15
I don't have migraines but I have a similar type of headache. There were a couple of times where being overheated caused me to take medication, but overall I was much better off hiking. It would depend on her triggers. Find out what causes her to have a headache, and how she treats them. They are treatable, especially with triptans and other pharmaceuticals.

maxNcathy
02-07-2008, 18:23
I don't have migraines but I have a similar type of headache. There were a couple of times where being overheated caused me to take medication, but overall I was much better off hiking. It would depend on her triggers. Find out what causes her to have a headache, and how she treats them. They are treatable, especially with triptans and other pharmaceuticals.

"overall much better hiking.."
Thanks AT.

She lives in Florida and as far as I know she has no clue what really triggers her headaches.She is a nurse and has taken every possible drug for headaches over the years.

I am wondering if trail life would be the magic for her that it seemed to be for me.

Ender
02-07-2008, 18:25
I don't think I've ever had a headache while doing a long hike (except for the first couple days when I'm coming down off a caffeine addiction).

That's just my experience though.

taildragger
02-07-2008, 18:29
See if it could possibly be allergy related.

I have a feeling that her migraines might be due to a stressful work environment (isn't that usually the case?)

Appalachian Tater
02-07-2008, 18:33
She needs a good neurologist who specializes in headaches. Changed my entire life.

Things that would potentially reduce migraines on the trail: better air quality (for me anyway!), daily strenuous exercise, weight loss, sleeping very well, being in tune with the natural diurnal rhythm (my headaches involve the hypothalamus), much much much less stress, possible cessation of menstruation, change in diet, quiet, being away from odors like petrochemicals and perfumes, no caffeine or alcohol.

However, a change in some of these same factors, plus exposure to extreme temperatures, getting dehydrated, sunlight, might actually trigger headaches.

Overall, it's worth a shot! The worst that happens is she gets a migraine in the woods instead of at home.

Seeker
02-07-2008, 19:07
neurologist, or a good chiropractor (cervical manipulator, not a 'bone-cracker'. there's a world of difference).

AlwaysHiking
02-07-2008, 19:20
I get migraines but I've never had one on the trail. If I did though, I don't think dealing with them there would be any different than at home. It just means a zero day or two. The only thing that might possibly be killer is not being able to get out of the heat.

Blissful
02-07-2008, 20:03
Honestly I'll bet the migraines disappear when she hikes. I've had lots of maladies go away when I did long distance hiking. Of course I had new ones hiking related - joints, etc., but the benefits were fantastic.

Make sure though she drinks. Headaches can also come about for lack of fluids.

sarbar
02-07-2008, 20:28
She needs a good neurologist who specializes in headaches. Changed my entire life.

I agree. My visits with the neurologist and a couple trips in the MRI showed a lot on why I get migraines.

Less stress, cleaner air, better food can do wonders. For me exercise is one way I can beat back the headaches. So daily is needed. I don't exercise for a day or two and I start feeling them creeping back up. You might also find out what type she has, there are a number of variations on migraines as well. They start in different parts of the head as well. Those with classic migraines would almost benefit with a life of hiking. Those who have auras or vertigo ones have to be more careful. (I have all 3 types).

I know for me I had to overhaul my entire way of eating to (hopefully) banish the vertigo and aura ones. I don't drink or eat fake colors or flavors. I can feel it getting bad when I slip and drink pop (especially fake sugar), excessive caffeine and preservatives. These are all triggers for me. So is high stress, uncontrolled blood pressure, heavy sodium intake and hormones. As well as watching your intake of food - never letting your blood sugar crash.

As is I make sure I take my BP meds faithfully, stay hydrated, attempt to sleep good and always carry my anti-nausea meds with me when hiking, as well as my prescription pain killers. I know if I had to, I would just lay in my tent all day and wait for it to end. It always does end.

Btw, do ask if she has auras. You can often predict an 'ache just by knowing what to look for in your vision. I get silver stars, black floaters and can have where I look far away and it is as if the horizon has shifted.

wakapak
02-07-2008, 20:40
neurologist, or a good chiropractor (cervical manipulator, not a 'bone-cracker'. there's a world of difference).

Exactly what Seeker says...and yes, there is a world of difference!! I've seen many, many people have their migraines vanish thru chiropractic care.

Appalachian Tater
02-07-2008, 22:33
http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/chirostroke.html

wakapak
02-07-2008, 22:42

whatever. believe what you want to believe.

was just trying to share some knowledge.

jzakhar
02-07-2008, 22:52
I am a headache person too. I just make sure I pack my blood pressure meds and Imitrix pens. For _me_ Imitrix will take my head from laying down cant open eyes in agony, to time to hike again in about 10 minutes.

take-a-knee
02-07-2008, 23:19
A lot of people think nurses are asshats Tater.

take-a-knee
02-07-2008, 23:23
I am a headache person too. I just make sure I pack my blood pressure meds and Imitrix pens. For _me_ Imitrix will take my head from laying down cant open eyes in agony, to time to hike again in about 10 minutes.

Yes, nothing works for a migraine like Immetrex. A guy on my ODA in Haiti had one and I didn't have any Immetrex so I fired him up with 50mg of Demerol and it didn't phase him, I had to give him the rest of the tubex and that only eased him enough to lie still, he was still hurting pretty bad. That is a lot of demerol.

jzakhar
02-07-2008, 23:35
Yes, nothing works for a migraine like Immetrex. A guy on my ODA in Haiti had one and I didn't have any Immetrex so I fired him up with 50mg of Demerol and it didn't phase him, I had to give him the rest of the tubex and that only eased him enough to lie still, he was still hurting pretty bad. That is a lot of demerol.

Before I knew what was going on I used to just go to the ER and get shot up with pain meds and some Xanax. I used to leave in a wheel chair and sleep the rest of the day by the time they got my pain under control..

I have clusterheadaches, a little different then a straight migraine. But both are a vascular headache. It took me years to figure out what was going on, just some months of the year I wanted to just die

sarbar
02-07-2008, 23:45
For those who would go to neck crackers, please, please before you EVEN think about that, go to a neurologist and find out exactly what type of headaches you have and what the reason behind them is. There are many reasons why we have them, some are treatable, some are not. Some can get worse, others stay the same.
For me, I have nearly gotten rid of my main migraines through controlled blood pressure. The other 2 types are not as easily gotten rid of - but can be maintained.

Please, there is a reason neurologists know more - they went to school for it! I know how expensive MRI's are - I have had 3. They are worth every penny though. If you have a family history of headaches involving vomiting and auras, even more so you should be checked out. It can be helped! A neck cracker CANNOT solve that!!!!

wakapak
02-07-2008, 23:47
For those who would go to neck crackers, please, please before you EVEN think about that, go to a neurologist and find out exactly what type of headaches you have and what the reason behind them is. There are many reasons why we have them, some are treatable, some are not. Some can get worse, others stay the same.
For me, I have nearly gotten rid of my main migraines through controlled blood pressure. The other 2 types are not as easily gotten rid of - but can be maintained.

Please, there is a reason neurologists know more - they went to school for it! I know how expensive MRI's are - I have had 3. They are worth every penny though. If you have a family history of headaches involving vomiting and auras, even more so you should be checked out. It can be helped! A neck cracker CANNOT solve that!!!!

and chiropractors didn't go school for it???:-?

sarbar
02-08-2008, 00:04
They didn't go to school to DIAGNOSE migraines. They went to school to do what they should be doing: cracking bones. Not diagnosing major medical issues. That is quackery!

wakapak
02-08-2008, 00:10
They didn't go to school to DIAGNOSE migraines. They went to school to do what they should be doing: cracking bones. Not diagnosing major medical issues. That is quackery!

any chiropractor that says they can diagnose a migraine is out of their profession, i agree.

However, just so you know, chiropractors are made to take clinical diagnosis classes in school. along with neuroanatomy, neuropathophsiology, neuromusclephys and a whole host of other medical type classes. then told not to diagnose.

i agree that MRI's help to find out what's going on.

alll i'm saying, is that i've seen a whole host of things get better for people when they get adjusted and remove nerve interference in their bodies. And THAT is what chiropractors do, remove nerve interference so the body can communicate with itself better.

on a different note, it's past my bedtime, so i'm out of here! :)

taildragger
02-08-2008, 00:16
A few classes on how the nervous system works is different from 4 years of full blown med school, followed with specialty training (~7 years). I'll put my money on the neurologist.

Appalachian Tater
02-08-2008, 01:09
A lot of people think nurses are asshats Tater.

Nurses are always in the top ten most respected occupations any time there is a survey, but you are certainly welcome to your opinion.

Wanderingson
02-08-2008, 01:33
Not all neurologists are created equal, but I certainly would recommend avisit to a recommended neurologist.

I suffered from Maigranes for a number of years and visited many neurologists. There were periods where I would suffer an "attack" and it would take me down for 3 days at a time. I had even been hospitailized for treatment. That sucked bigtime.

Several years ago, a young ER doc (friend of mine) had recently attended a conference where they had studied an anti-seizure medication and it's successes with migraines. She asked if I would be willing to try this medication. At this point, I would have tried freaking birth control pills if they told me it would have worked. She consulted my attending neurologist and he agreed to give it a try.

I am absolutely delighted to say that I have not had a single migraine in over 3 years now and life is an absolute joy.

So just what is this magic pill that worked for me? Topamax (Topiramate). Sure is has some side effects, but this stuff has changed my life.

As for triggers, I have found that any time spend in the woods and away from the daily grind has numerous health benefits. It's amazing just how many aliments are manifested from STRESS alone.

HeadiesHiker11
02-08-2008, 01:43
What she needs is a natural substance that takes care of stress, relieves pain, and takes care of headaches. you may also want a quart of some ben and jerrys too.

88BlueGT
02-08-2008, 01:54
I can say from experience that headaches can absolutely ruin a hike. I get tension headaches almost everyday and sometimes headaches so bad where I cant walk because I can feel the vibrations comming up through my feet and into my head. This has been giong on for quite some time now but its partially my fault because I have never seen a doctor about it.

sarbar
02-08-2008, 02:15
What she needs is a natural substance that takes care of stress, relieves pain, and takes care of headaches. you may also want a quart of some ben and jerrys too.
A BOB? :eek::D Oh wait, that isn't natural :D

HeadiesHiker11
02-08-2008, 02:42
Haha that will be my only pain medication for my thru hike here in a couple of years I will be looking foward to my mail drops more so than my fellow hikers.

I have done some experiments and have logged more miles while on natural herbs rather than going straight. call me what you want but its my way of doing things.

sarbar
02-08-2008, 13:53
Haha that will be my only pain medication for my thru hike here in a couple of years I will be looking foward to my mail drops more so than my fellow hikers.

I have done some experiments and have logged more miles while on natural herbs rather than going straight. call me what you want but its my way of doing things.

While I wouldn't do what you do myself I quite understand why you do. I have friends that do it as well....and I look at it this way: My Vicodin has to be a lot worse for my body than a certain green plant.

NativePennsylvanian
02-08-2008, 14:33

Except their training focuses on your body's "inate intelligence" and think diseases are caused by misaligned bones.

I'll take genuine science and medicine anyday.

Appalachian Tater
02-08-2008, 14:43
While I wouldn't do what you do myself I quite understand why you do. I have friends that do it as well....and I look at it this way: My Vicodin has to be a lot worse for my body than a certain green plant.

Greens are high in calcium, magnesium, iron, folate, and vitamins A & C.

AlwaysHiking
02-08-2008, 15:10
Btw, do ask if she has auras. You can often predict an 'ache just by knowing what to look for in your vision. I get silver stars, black floaters and can have where I look far away and it is as if the horizon has shifted.

The silver flashes are the best... it gives me a heads up it's coming. I know I've got about 10 minutes after the auras end until it hits full force so if I can get to a quite, dark location, get some Phenergan in me and some pain meds before the auras are over, then I can usually prevent them. If not prevent, then substantially relieve the amount of time and severeness.

For me, my physician suggested that caffeine would actually help. I know it can cause migraines in others, but caffeine isn't in my regular diet. I try to drink about half a soda with my meds and that seems to really make a difference.

I used to take Fiorinal but found that with Phenergan, half a soda and Excedrin Migraine I got the same results so I skip the 2nd prescription. Although Fiorinal I think has a sedative.

Anyhow, if I ever see the auras on the trail, I'll set up camp as fast as I can and except that I don't carry soda, I'd do everything exactly like I do at home. It's miserable and unbearable at home, would be no different for me on the trail so it doesn't keep me from going.

Appalachian Tater
02-08-2008, 15:14
......Excedrin Migraine I got the same results so I skip the 2nd prescription. Although Fiorinal I think has a sedative.

Excedrin Migraine has aspirin, Tylenol, and caffeine. When hiking you could carry caffeine tablets like No-Doz instead of soda, or just take two Excedrin Migraine.

Fiorinal is aspirin, caffeine, and a barbiturate. Fiorinal with codeine also has the codeine, an opiate.

sarbar
02-08-2008, 19:50
Greens are high in calcium, magnesium, iron, folate, and vitamins A & C.
Yep, I don't go from home without veggies and fruit now. My body is so used to having high potassium from natural sources that I can feel the drop in it. I take dried spinach, potatoes, broccoli, peas, tomatoes...heck whatever I can shove in my bag. I am quite the little yogi for berry picking as well and can identify every edible one here :D
My days of eating white food are long gone! The one thing I always miss most is a big lass of OJ, I carry oranges now as well.

maxNcathy
02-08-2008, 21:01
Yep, I don't go from home without veggies and fruit now. My body is so used to having high potassium from natural sources that I can feel the drop in it. I take dried spinach, potatoes, broccoli, peas, tomatoes...heck whatever I can shove in my bag. I am quite the little yogi for berry picking as well and can identify every edible one here :D
My days of eating white food are long gone! The one thing I always miss most is a big lass of OJ, I carry oranges now as well.

Hi Sarah,

Looked over your journal.Nice country where you hike!

I will try to find dried veg to buy for my AT next month.

Sandalwood

jzakhar
02-08-2008, 21:04

LOL I wana hike with you! I cant remember the last time something green went inside my pack.

10-K
02-09-2008, 12:43

Amen! I don't go anywhere without a few Imitrex. I get migranes (hereditary it seems) and if I can take a 100mg Imitrex tablet and lay down for 20 minutes I'm cured.

I have always said that whoever came up with Imitrex should get the Nobel Prize for medicine.

Thomas