PDA

View Full Version : James River Footbridge

MedicineMan
02-14-2004, 01:03
Anybody know if a maildrop is possible at or close to the James River Footbridge? I'm getting old and lazy and a next hike in this area puts us 30 miles to the bridge and 20 miles to the car...would be nice to only carry 3 days of food starting out and 2 to get to Buena Vista....dont laugh Lone Wolf or Baltimore Jack, you two will someday be aged.........:)

Uncle Wayne
02-14-2004, 03:59
Anybody know if a maildrop is possible at or close to the James River Footbridge? I'm getting old and lazy and a next hike in this area puts us 30 miles to the bridge and 20 miles to the car...would be nice to only carry 3 days of food starting out and 2 to get to Buena Vista....dont laugh Lone Wolf or Baltimore Jack, you two will someday be aged.........:)

MedicineMan,

When we hiked that section we hitched to Glasgow, VA. 6.7 miles west. There is a post office there and a hiker friendly motel / restaurant called "The Wright Place" motel. Those are two options for a maildrop. A couple of grocery stores, laundry mat and restaurants were available as well. We didn't use a maildrop but did resupply there and had plenty of options as far as trail food is concerned. A 4.3 mile hitch east would have taken us to Big Island campground but I don't know what is available there. This is info from my journal of our 2001 section hike so it may be dated. I'll look up my 2004 Thru Hiker Companion and update this info later.

Here's the info straight from the 2004 Thru Hiker Companion. Going north across the foot bridge, the AT crosses US 501 and VA. 130. These two roads diverge at a fork east of the trail crossing. If you go:

East, 4.5 miles via VA. 130 to Wildwood campground, (434)-299-5228.

East 5.1 miles via US 501 to H & H Market, (434)-299-5153.

East, 5.1 miles via US 501 to Big Island, VA. (434) 299-5072.

West 5.9 miles to Glasgow, VA. The Wright Place Motel & Restaurant (540) 258-1155. Glasgow Post Office (540) 258-2852.

Maybe that will help.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2004, 05:49
I always go to Big Island to the gas station/diner/grocery. The P.O. is about .5 past it. Fyi, Jack and I just turned 45 recently. :cool:

MedicineMan
02-14-2004, 06:31
Thanks Uncle Wayne, that helps a lot...and L.Wolf/BJ...I'm glad to be in the 45'ers club.

hikerltwt
02-14-2004, 11:59
Thanks Uncle Wayne, that helps a lot...and L.Wolf/BJ...I'm glad to be in the 45'ers club.
The campground is the place to stay. There is a trail angel there for a good part of the thru season and it's a hop skip and a free ride to Wal-Mart, AYCE's and such. The campground is clean and the owners were very friendly as well. Took a zero there to escape the the relenless Va rain and enjoyed a cabin with fellow thrus. We had all forgotten Memorial Day weekend and had to wait out the PO closing!

Kerosene
02-14-2004, 15:01
I hiked this section last October, starting at Buena Vista (US-60) south 118 miles to Craig Creek Valley. You can skim my trip report by clicking here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2957).

Hikerhead and I started out about midday from US-60 and spent the night at Punchbowl Shelter (10.6 miles over easy trail). We broke camp about 9 am and reached the James River Foot Bridge about 3:30 (another fairly easy SOBO 10 miles). There were a lot of day hikers in the parking lot on a nice autumn afternoon, although I've read that hitching to Big Island or Glasgow can be problematic at times. It's far enough that you certainly don't want to try to walk it. I stayed across the river at Matts Creek Shelter that night.

The next day I was planning to walk about 12 miles to Thunder Ridge Shelter, but after an early afternoon pick-me-up meal I pushed on to Cornelius Creek Shelter for a 17-mile day. I had planned to stay at It's a Wonderful Life Campground that evening (now only 8.5 miles away plus a 1.5 mile road walk) where I had mailed a food drop. The store didn't have much extra food in October and the cabins were bug-infested and stifling. After a quick wash up I decided to hike on rather than stay.

I was in Daleville two nights later, where I had left a food cache with the Best Western at Appalachian Trail Crossing.

Hope this helps.

TedB
02-14-2004, 15:52
Tried to hitch hike into Big Island, but ended up walking in both directions. That town was my least successful hitch hiking attempt. I bought food at the store and the selection was adequate, but not ideal. I did have a funny moment when I asked them to fill up my water bottle. The sink was behind the counter, and when I handed them my water bottle they refused to touch it, until I assured them that the yellow color was from iodine used to treat my drinking water. The store has some character, so I can understand why Lone Wolf might like it.

MedicineMan
02-14-2004, 22:37
We wont need a zero after only 3 days, only a food resupply and that I admit is lame....so I'm thinking about crusing by the footbridge e.g. in the vehicle on the way to drop it off in Buena Vista and caching our food for the next couple of days somewhere near the footbridge.....5 gallon bucket buried kinda thing....