PDA

View Full Version : Tupperware Question

Bob S
08-24-2008, 11:19
I bought several Tupperware pieces at several garage sales this summer (I love garage sales) and a few of them have smells from old food. Onion smell in one and the other smells like coffee.

I have rinsed them out with water, let them soak for a few days with a mixture of baking soda and water and still I can smell onions and coffee. :(

Any suggestions to try that may work?

bikerscars
08-24-2008, 11:23
use 'em for coffee and onions only
i've never been able to get the faint odor out

russb
08-24-2008, 11:24
This is a trick I heard about but never tried. It can't hurt.

Wash the container and put inside some crumpled up newspaper and snap on the lid. After 24hrs, take ut the newspapar and wash the container again. Supposedly it works. I am curious to know.

mudhead
08-24-2008, 11:44
If it is Tupperware brand, try soaking in straight ammonia. I would do the onion one first, as I can live with the smell of coffee.

I have a @ 20yr old sandwich box I use to put ammonia in to defume stuff. No melting as of yet.

budforester
08-24-2008, 12:25
First, you probably already know to be careful and not mix cleaning agents. I would try some hydrogen peroxide or bleach to cut the odor.

BigBlue
08-24-2008, 12:39
Try filling them with canned tomatoes for a day, or two. Then cook some onion/coffee flavored tomato dish.

4eyedbuzzard
08-24-2008, 12:50
First, you probably already know to be careful and not mix cleaning agents. I would try some hydrogen peroxide or bleach to cut the odor.

Good advice - DON'T EVER mix bleach and ammonia! http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/A795611

boarstone
08-24-2008, 13:53
stop buying used plastic stuff at garage sales or anywhere for that matter..!

Cabin Fever
08-24-2008, 14:03

I suggest throwing them away! On a similar note, my wife sprays the inside of tupperware with non-stick spray if she is going to put spaghetti or something like that in them so they won't stain.

adventurousmtnlvr
08-24-2008, 14:11
I bought several Tupperware pieces at several garage sales this summer (I love garage sales) and a few of them have smells from old food. Onion smell in one and the other smells like coffee.

I have rinsed them out with water, let them soak for a few days with a mixture of baking soda and water and still I can smell onions and coffee. :(

Any suggestions to try that may work?

Pack them with newspaper (no joke I promise .. fyi this works for smelly shoes too, as it absorbs moisture etc) .. leave for 12 hrs. Then remove paper, dispose, then wash with soap and water. You may also use Charcoal as well as an alternative. Good luck

Appalachian Tater
08-24-2008, 14:49
Use a mild bleach solution, let it sit for 24 hours or more.

The smell exists because there are actual molecules of the substance present and they are reaching your nose, so the containers are microscopically dirty. Gross.

I try to avoid putting hot food in plastic and never use plastic in the microwave, only glass.

Bob S
08-24-2008, 15:30

Thanks, that is so helpful!!!

Use a mild bleach solution, let it sit for 24 hours or more.

The smell exists because there are actual molecules of the substance present and they are reaching your nose, so the containers are microscopically dirty. Gross.

I try to avoid putting hot food in plastic and never use plastic in the microwave, only glass.

Does the bleach leave any smell residue?

I never use any kind of plastic in a microwave.

In fact I don’t use Tupperware in the house at all.

I buy it for camping, usually for .50 cents to a buck or so. I like it because it’s bug resistant and doesn’t crack if abused like a lot of plastic. Mostly it’s for dry goods (cereal, oatmeal and the like) what doesn’t smell clean I can throw away or use for nuts & bolts in the garage.

Appalachian Tater
08-24-2008, 21:11
The chlorine bleach evaporates and any solid residue is harmless salts.

Fiddleback
08-25-2008, 20:10
A soak in white vinegar might work. Beyond that, leave the opened containers in direct sunlight for a day or two...

FB

Bob S
08-25-2008, 21:03
I put a few ounces of bleach in them and then filled them up with hot water, I left it this way all night and this morning I put them in the sink and let water run into the containers for 30-min while I took a shower. I dried them out and could smell a touch of bleach, I filled them up with newspaper and put the lid on and just took it out about an hour ago. No smell at all. It worked on the onion and the coffee smell.

budforester
08-26-2008, 14:19
I put a few ounces of bleach in them and then filled them up with hot water, I left it this way all night and this morning I put them in the sink and let water run into the containers for 30-min while I took a shower. I dried them out and could smell a touch of bleach, I filled them up with newspaper and put the lid on and just took it out about an hour ago. No smell at all. It worked on the onion and the coffee smell.

Thanks for the update; glad it worked out. I'm pleased to learn that newspaper trick, too.