PDA

View Full Version : Rehydrating veggies for meals ??

jcramin
01-07-2009, 15:56
What is the best way and for how long to rehydrate veggies such as peas, corn, and carrots to put in with something like Ramen Noodles?

Thanks,
J

Farr Away
01-07-2009, 16:25
Dehydrated or freeze-dried veggies?

sarbar
01-07-2009, 17:51
Freeze dried will come back in a couple minutes - cook them right with the ramen.

As for traditional dried (dehydrated) ones, soak them for 15 minutes in the water, then bring your water to a boil and cook the ramen.

Or, if using dehydrated make sure they are really small dices, this lowers rehydration time quite a bit. If you do FBC style cooking, the dices will be good to go after sitting in a cozy for 10-15 minutes. (Though green beans and corn can be tough ones no matter what)

BigBlue
01-07-2009, 18:11
Sometimes what I'll do is to pour some water in the bag with the veggies when I stop for my afternoon snack, then later when its time to cook they only take a few minutes.

Pedaling Fool
01-07-2009, 18:37
I dehydrate all my food - mostly veggies. I mix them with rice which takes about 20 minutes to cook - a little longer than ramen.

I boil the water in my jetboil cup while I put all my food (rice, dehydrated veggies/jerky) in my cooking pot. Then I pour the boiling water in the pot and simmer for 20 minutes.

Veggies are completly soft and absorbed maximum water, no pre-soaking or anything else.

You may want to practice at home, but I believe if you throw your veggies into the water while heating to the boiling point they should soak up maximum water.

sarbar
01-07-2009, 20:18
You may want to practice at home, but I believe if you throw your veggies into the water while heating to the boiling point they should soak up maximum water.

Yep! Works well :)

Just remember to use an equal amount of water to dry veggies. (So if you add in 1/4 veggies, add in another 1/4 cup water.)

jcramin
01-10-2009, 22:20
Well im thinking about getting a dehydrator and start dehydrating my own veggies for my meals. That is why I am asking. Thanks for all the great answers.

J

Mrs Baggins
01-10-2009, 22:46
Just made a nice big order from Harmony House of veggies, fruit, beans, and soup mixes. I don't have the patience to stand in the kitchen cutting up all that stuff, waiting for it to dry, and then packaging it. Met some people last year in the Smokies that had spent a year dehydrating their meals only to get to the trail and find out that nearly every single packet had a hole in it and was possibly spoiled. If that happens to us I can send it back as defective.

Blissful
01-10-2009, 22:49
I soak mine in water in my pot while I am setting up camp. Then I boil the ramen a little longer. Works fine for me. (I dehydrated green beans and peas from bags of frozen. No cutting needed)

catfishrivers
01-10-2009, 23:04
I dehydrated some frozen corn and red peppers this week and tried them out with some ramen noodles tonight. It took about 20 mins for me to finish the meal. I let the noodles and dehydrated veggies steep for about 5 mins after the water had come to a boil before I started eating. Noodles were done and the red peppers were mostly rehydrated, but the corn was not fully rehydrated and stuck to my teeth. It was soft but very chewy. By the end of the meal, around 20 mins from the boil, the veggies were definitely mostly rehydrated, but could have used a bit mroe time to soak. I guess soaking them in water sometime during the day prior to din din would be the way to go. I'm definitely going to have bags of dehydrated fruits and veggies sent along to me to add to my oat meal and ramen.

sarbar
01-11-2009, 01:51
Corn and green beans are two of the worst offenders for rehydrating. With these it is worth getting freeze-dried versions :)

Farr Away
01-11-2009, 11:11
Corn and green beans are two of the worst offenders for rehydrating. With these it is worth getting freeze-dried versions :)

Too bad really, since it is so easy to dehydrate a bag of frozen corn.

budforester
01-11-2009, 12:51
I deal with the hard- to- rehydrate stuff, especially corn and bouillon cubes, using a one- pot preparation. Put the offending items in cold water and heat to boiling, then start the Ramen, pasta, rice, cous cous, whatever. Fresh veggie additions can be pre- cooked this way, too. Stir those bouillon cubes 'till dissolved, or there will be weak flavor and a surprise hidden in the dish.

Lellers
01-11-2009, 14:37
Corn can be difficult to rehydrate, but up here in PA, we can find a product called Cope's Dried corn (https://ww2.farmstandfoods.com:18444/fsf/item_detail.jsp?itm_item=00175-3). It's very good, sweet, rehydrates well. It's more a cream-style, so you're not getting whole kernel corn. The instructions call for long soaking and boiling times, but I've found that it rehydrates fairly quickly. Boil it a little when you first get into camp, then let it sit while you set up. It's creamy and sweet. You can add it to soup and or other meals. Or you can eat it straight up with a little protein added. I like it with chicken and cheese added.

You can order this stuff all over the internet if you can't find it on local grocery shelves.

hoz
01-11-2009, 16:13

Have you tried dehydrating julienne cut green beans? Smaller pieces, more area to soak up water.