PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol/K1 Kerosene stove

WalkingStick75
06-02-2009, 22:13
I have been experimenting with a new stove using the basic HD Aluminum Bud Light beer bottle design I can get it to work on both Alcohol and Kerosene it burns hotter with Alcohol but I think when burning kerosene it needs more oxygen then it does with alcohol.

Anyone have any experience with a dual burn stove?

Another stove design is a small aluminum bottle I found at the dollar store using the same design as the beer bottle but it only measures 4cm high 5 cm in diameter. One ounce will boil 3 cups of water, no time test yet. I have attached a picture of this burner

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-02-2009, 22:15
I fixed an washer with a 1/4 inch hole inside about halfway down, it cut my boil times in half, and makes it burn about 30% longer on one ounce. What kind of bottle is that from? I used Bud Light Bottles

WalkingStick75
06-02-2009, 22:28
The bottle in the picture is a aluminum bottle that I found at the dollar store. I think it had a sprayer/mister on it.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-02-2009, 22:33
I know just the one I bought the silver one, which I had planned on using as a fuel bottle till I scored some better ones. Guess I might turn it into another stove lol. I like the bud light bottles though since they are a bit stronger, I don't think I can crush my stoves now and I have squeazed them as hard as I can with no give.
I plug the 1/4 inch hole from the washer I inserted and built a stand for the whole set up for stability. The stand raises the pot 1/4 inch above the stove, not sure which part of what I did made the improvement, but I do no if I don't plug the hole and have the pot just over a quarter inch the stove flows through fuel like no tomorrow. So there is a thin line between major improvement and drastic failure lol

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-02-2009, 22:34
Also, Ace hardware sells Fiberglass wick which is the gasket for fireplace doors, you can glue a piece with JB weld 1/2 inch from the bottom for a great primer. A little fuel on the primer and the stove lights in second with no fuss

WalkingStick75
06-02-2009, 22:51
I saw the wick idea someplace else and thought I might pick up some wick tomorrow and give it a try. In my experiments burning K1 I did notice that getting the pot a 1/4" or so over the burner it appeared to work better.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-02-2009, 22:55
I got the Basic stove idea and basic design from Russel the weekend adventurer. I liked the basic model but got bored and have been tryin different ways to improve it. After my next big hike I will make one with simmering controls and a built in pot holder

Two Speed
06-03-2009, 05:41
. . . I can get it to work on both Alcohol and Kerosene it burns hotter with Alcohol but I think when burning kerosene it needs more oxygen then it does with alcohol . . . Based on the little bit of chemistry and thermodynamics that I know I'd say your problem is more likely to be you're not getting the kerosene hot enough. Get it hotter and it'll vaporize at a higher rate. Problem's gonna be getting a stable situation for both fuels. Once you design a stove that gets hot enough to vaporize kerosene at a higher rate I think it's very likely that modified design will run too hot for alcohol.

Still, might be possible. Keep us posted on how that works, but I'd keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Homer&Marje
06-03-2009, 05:47
Based on the little bit of chemistry and thermodynamics that I know I'd say your problem is more likely to be you're not getting the kerosene hot enough. Get it hotter and it'll vaporize at a higher rate. Problem's gonna be getting a stable situation for both fuels. Once you design a stove that gets hot enough to vaporize kerosene at a higher rate I think it's very likely that modified design will run too hot for alcohol.

Still, might be possible. Keep us posted on how that works, but I'd keep a fire extinguisher handy.

What are the symptoms of a stove running "too hot" for alcohol??

WalkingStick75
06-03-2009, 07:47
Two speed I think you are right I have noticed that it takes longer for the flame to blossom and once it blossoms and put the pot on it will continue to burn but at a slower rate. Will try a preheat wick today and a couple other ideas.

Two Speed
06-03-2009, 08:03
. . . Will try a preheat wick today and a couple other ideas.That might work. Don't have to use the preheat when burning alcohol.
What are the symptoms of a stove running "too hot" for alcohol??Homer, if you can't follow the conversation how about letting the adults talk for a minute?

warraghiyagey
06-03-2009, 08:22
I fill my cookpot with HEET and light it but when I put the food in the fire gets a weird color and the food always tastes yucky. . . . what am I doing wrong?

Dances with Mice
06-03-2009, 10:12
I fill my cookpot with HEET and light it but when I put the food in the fire gets a weird color and the food always tastes yucky. . . . what am I doing wrong?Yellow or red bottle HEET?

gungho
06-03-2009, 11:28
I fill my cookpot with HEET and light it but when I put the food in the fire gets a weird color and the food always tastes yucky. . . . what am I doing wrong?

you are stupid.....let somebody else do the cooking:D

zelph
06-03-2009, 12:30

Put the food in first and then the fuel. Use only "Everclear" as your fuel.;)

Dances with Mice
06-03-2009, 13:08
you are stupid.....let somebody else do the cookingWhiteblaze has really gone downhill when an inexperienced hiker like Mr. Warrag asks a very serious question and people make fun of him. We should all be trying to help. There are some safety concerns to consider.

What brand of freezer bag are you using? Some of them aren't safe after they melt on top of all your food.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-03-2009, 14:00
Yellow bottle of heet

Lugnut
06-03-2009, 14:22
Whiteblaze has really gone downhill when an inexperienced hiker like Mr. Warrag asks a very serious question and people make fun of him.

Mr. Warrag has been here long enough to have picked up at least some knowledge, unless he's a complete nitwit which seems to be the case. :D

Buzz_Lightfoot
06-03-2009, 15:09

You're doing it backwards. You are supposed to burn the food to heat the heet and then drink the heet. Sheesh.

zelph
06-03-2009, 15:45

Yes, a little. It was a stove named "Heineken Doodah Man Special " (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22425&highlight=ring+fire)and went on to be known as the "Ring of Fire" I was able to burn low odor mineral spirits (purified kerosene/sulphur removed) the fiberglass wick needed to be as short as possible to burn clean. Boil times were long and so I put that project to the side.

gungho
06-03-2009, 17:57
Whiteblaze has really gone downhill when an inexperienced hiker like Mr. Warrag asks a very serious question and people make fun of him. We should all be trying to help. There are some safety concerns to consider.

What brand of freezer bag are you using? Some of them aren't safe after they melt on top of all your food.

ok........In my personal opinion, I would by the cheapest bags possible.....they work great..especially if you boil them with the water

Homer&Marje
06-03-2009, 18:54
That might work. Don't have to use the preheat when burning alcohol.Homer, if you can't follow the conversation how about letting the adults talk for a minute?

Thank you for pointing out I don't know much about chemistry. Never claimed to though. But I can build a soda can stove that boils 2 cups of water in 6 to 7 minutes with a sustained burn time of up to 16 minutes on 1 ounce of fuel.

That I know as a fact. And they work at home and in the woods, indubitably leading to me still being alive....and asking a question...for which I got a response of a 13 year old high school kid. Literally....brother in law the smart ass said that to me last week. Same phrasing too.

Sorry....simple design stoves I guess don't encounter the problems that the stovies run into. Good luck building a stove with your nose stuck that far in the air:rolleyes:

zelph
06-04-2009, 10:13

Here is a mini kerosene stove that also burns alcohol. It was designed primarily to burn K1 or Low Odor Mineral Spirits.

Mini Kerosene Stove (http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=352)

zelph
10-24-2009, 21:25
r

Here is another one that will burn multiple fuels. Kerosene, extra pure virgin olive oil and oil lamp fuel....also chaffing fuel(warm weather only for all of these.) It's a well kept secret until today;) It's made from an aluminum beverage bottle.

Multi fuel stove on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfbXy3D_dqo)