PDA

View Full Version : 501 & Eckville Shelter, PA

Hammock Hanger
09-04-2002, 17:23
Both of these shelters are privately owned and operated by the local Mt Eagle Climbing Club. They welcome the hikers and offer extras not normally found at shelters. Solar showers, sodas, pizza delivery at 501 and a frig stocked with drinks and ice cream at Eckville. The caretakers live on site and are very friendly. HH

whcobbs
05-17-2003, 12:21
I stayed overnight at the 501 shelter during bitter cold weather early in Jan 2003 on my way to the PA Ruck. This is a fully enclosed 4-wall shelter adapted from a pottery barn, with wooden bunks and a central dining table. The caretaker, George Schollenberger (?sp) was very accomodating. You can get water from an all-weather outside foundation tap on his house next door. His Dalmatian dog, chained in a doghouse outside, responds top proper etiquette.
Walt

Downunda
10-30-2003, 19:36
In 2002 I had a great stay at the Eckville shelter. It was pretty much a full house and we had a great time there. The caretaker has a great collection of Blues CD's and kept us all entertained.

I meant to stay at the 501 shelter but somehow and unfortunately I missed the turnoff and by the time I realised it It was too far to go back so I camped out.

Footslogger
10-30-2003, 21:42
Passed through the 501 shelter this year in the early AM but didn't stay there. The resident caretaker retired this year and there was a new guy standing in for him. He was a pretty nice guy but pointed out to me that the hikers had been bugging him about the use of his phone to order pizza the night before. Turns out that the phone is his personal unit and the reception is poor in that area. He had loaned it to some hikers in the past weeks and due to connections having been lost and several redials having taken place that his phone bill was high. If you want pizza you either need your own phone or be willing to hitch into town.

I did stay at Eckville. It was a nasty night. Raining cats and dogs. Eckville is really no more than an oversized tool shed on some private property that has been equipped with bunks for hikers. It is set up to sleep about 6 - 8 people comfortable. We had 17 hikers and one dog inside that night. One dude even hung his hammock from the rafters to make more space. The ownver of the land and adjacent house is pretty cool. He stocks a refigerator on the porch of his house with an assortment of sodas, candy bars, cookies and ice cream. He posts the prices for each and there's a can inside the fridge for the money but it's an honor system.

wilconow
05-03-2004, 09:16
i like to thank everyone for the info on the 501 shelter. im planning a backpacking trip up there for the AT photo project.

jbwood5
05-22-2004, 16:48
I stayed here on 4/23/04. Please be aware that the new caretaker will not stock any snacks nor will he allow use of the telephone. You are on your own now. However, the menu for the Italian restaurant is at the shelter and if someone has a cell phone, you can order what you want. They will bring your order out to the highway (150 yards) and you must meet them out there.

This shelter is one of the nicest, so far, on the AT. It is a very roomy building with a big center table, a number of bunks, and big skylight in the ceiling. There is a cold or solar shower and a clean and regularly serviced porta-can outside. Water is from a convienient fawcet by the shower.

Just John
Duncannon to Great Barrington
4/20 - 5/19/04

wilconow
06-01-2004, 14:36
well i stayed here memorial day weekend. surprisingly enough, myself and one other section hiker were the only ones sleeping there (i had 2 friends tent).

not much more to add, it's a great, roomy place.. dart board, magazines (national geographic, popular science)

there was no solar shower, just a hose with a shower curtain. i didnt take one but was told it's very cold. if it was more hot and humid im sure it wouldve been great.

ordered pizza, which of course was nice to be able to do.. but i must say, it wasnt one of the best pizzas ive ever had

the caretaker stops by a lot to make sure everything is cool.

Hauger
08-07-2005, 14:08
Took our church's youth along the AT here. We had planned to stay at the 501 Shelter, but decided (since we were on such a short trip) to stay at the Applebee Campsite instead. Very different than what I expected -- all indoors, with plywood bunks and a red-and-white-tableclothed picnic table inside!

Toolshed
08-07-2005, 18:59
I stayed at Eckville in November 02 while Southbound section hiking. I was the only one there, but lazee the owner treated me very kindly. It is a nice place and I appreciate his hospitality!!

fiddlehead
08-08-2005, 00:36
The 2 shelters/hostels mentioned here are a blessing in a part of the AT where camping is not allowed. most of the land that the AT is on there is Pa State Game Lands and they do not allow camping. so, Eagles nest shelter, and Wm. Penn are well off the trail on land that the ATC was allowed to buy. Lazee is a 2 time thru-hiker (AT 91 and 96 i believe) but doesn't take crap from those staying there. He's seen a lot over the years and is tired of the yellow blazers getting dropped off there at night and the cigerrette butts. He's found hikers in his house, going through his Cd's, watching his TV, using his phone. Please don't ruin this place with lack of respect. He has gone out of his way countless times to: search for missing hikers, taking hikers to the nearest hi-way (4 miles over hawk mt.), sheltering cold hikers, etc. etc.
The snacks are there because he puts them there, no one tells him or asks him to. (He's been robbed of the money in there more than once.)
Please respect these 2 places so they don't go the way of Manchester Center, VT church, or the Hot Springs hostel on the hill, or .........so many places that used to be free but have since closed up from lack of respect.

PAmoneypit
05-21-2006, 17:14
Hey all,:welcome
We are a fairly new hostel & shuttle service very close to the 501 shelter. I wanted to post cause I have recieved alot of calls about the shuttle but people think we are near the Pine Grove Furnace S.P., which we are NOT......I have no problem doing a shuttle to there but it will be quite costly. My rates are reasonable, been doing alot of slackpacking for the hikers to Port Clinton,PA. Looking forward meeting alot of new faces this season. Be safe and give us a call ..We want to make your A.T. experience a wonderful one. 570-345-1119.:sun

Maybabie(Amy) & Fritz the Cat (fritz)

:welcome

knicksin2010
07-04-2006, 07:41
when I got to the 501 I was pretty down and miserable, we had already gotten over a foot of rain and people were saying it was going to rain for the rest of the week. I had only done a 15 mile day but it was a day of fording floods with my pack over my head which was fun for awhile but when I got to the shelter I just wanted to sleep. So I was pretty antisocial that night which I regret because it sounded like popole where having a great time. A lot of people were lazy and had 0'ed so it was a full house. I got a top bunk but could barely pull myself up to it and looked like a fool coming down.

The pizza theb trail angels brought really cheered me up, and I was able to get to port clinton the next day on a pretty could pace for me :sun

Thanks^

joel137
07-12-2006, 23:56
There currently is no snack refridgerator at Eckville.

Frosty
12-11-2006, 10:12
Is there a contact phone number for the caretaker at the 501 shelter? I'll be driving through the area, but not sure if he'll allow me to park my car and "hike" 150 yards to the shelter for a stay.

Lone Wolf
12-11-2006, 10:17
Only open May-Sept.

minnesotasmith
12-11-2006, 10:51
Both of these shelters are privately owned and operated by the local Mt Eagle Climbing Club. They welcome the hikers and offer extras not normally found at shelters. Solar showers, sodas, pizza delivery at 501 and a frig stocked with drinks and ice cream at Eckville. The caretakers live on site and are very friendly. HH

When I stayed at Eckville, the fridge had been permanently removed due to theft of contents and/or money. Too, I don't recall any chow at the 501 shelter, but there may have been some available.

Lone Wolf
12-11-2006, 10:56
When I stayed at Eckville, the fridge had been permanently removed due to theft of contents and/or money. Too, I don't recall any chow at the 501 shelter, but there may have been some available.

Typical these days with the hiking crowd. The Blueberry Patch hostel used to have cokes in a fridge and you would pay on honor. Nobody was paying. Same for white gas. A can was available to fill your bottle, pay by the once or donation. No money.

Toolshed
12-11-2006, 12:06
Hi Frosty,
I beleive Lazee (previous Thruhiker and a nice guy) is still the caretaker, but IIRC the property is owned by the Blue Mountain Eagle Climbing Club - Here is their contact info. They might give you permission or put you in contact with Lazee.

TinAbbey
12-11-2006, 12:13
I was at the blueberry patch in march and they were still doing the honor system for sodas and fuel, i guess thats a long time ago as well.

Bravo
12-11-2006, 12:19
That's too bad about Eckville and that fridge. I must have paid about a buck or more for every ice cream sandwich I ate. They were worth every penny until I started walking up that next hill SOBO. LOL. 501 is cool until it rains. Man talk about a screaming tin can.:D

Hammock Hanger
12-11-2006, 15:49
When I hiked thru in 2001 all was available. It is a shame that the honor system did not work out. Oh well. It would still be a nice overnight even with out the goodies.

shelterbuilder
04-01-2007, 20:06

Both properties are owned by the National Park Service, but operated by Blue Mountain Eagle Climbing Club, and were renovated by the club at considerable expense and manpower effort by the club. Due to NPS concession requlations, there is no food (or beverages) available from the caretakers on the "donation" basis.:( The showers are still there, and I understand that PIZZA can be ordered for delivery to the parking lot at Rt. 501 from Pine Grove, Pa.:D :D
Lazee is still in residence at Eckville, still lovin' life and the Trail. At 501, a new caretaker is in residence: Ron, who is a DCNR Ranger for Pa. (All of you "party-hearty" people beware: Ron is a nice guy, but he IS a law enforcement officer, so no more throwin' beer bottles off the Kimmel Lookout [aka White Rocks].

Lyle
04-01-2007, 23:02
Hey Maybabie and Fritz,

How's it going? I stayed with you last June, left my jeep with you while I was hiking during the floods.

Just wanted to let everyone know these are nice, honest folks who will pick you up at the 501 and shuttle you to their hostel if you give em a call. It's not hard to find if you know where it is, but it's not right on the highway, so can be a bit tricky the first time. They were very accomodating, and fun to hang out with.

Hope all is going well for you,
Lyle

PAmoneypit
06-22-2007, 20:18
Hey Lyle,
Thanks for the note...we enjoyed visiting with you too....I think alot of the hikers expect a hilton hotel for the measely 25.00. Oh well, those uppity people can stay elsewhere cause we like down to earth people...lol.

Drop us a note and let us know about your adventures.
Kindess Regards, Maybabie & Fritz the Cat

DavidNH
06-22-2007, 20:33
When I hiked in 2006, I stayed in the 501 shelter. The place was awsome! enclosed, bunks, chairs, shower outside. We even ordered pizza (there where 5 of us) and had a fab pizza and soda dinner.

Eckville shelter is also a good place, especially if you get there either during or between heavy rains like I did. Also an enclosed cabin even had electricity. Only thing here..the care taker..He lives on premises and the guy was a real odd duck so to speak.

David

fiddlehead
06-22-2007, 21:16
Only thing here..the care taker..He lives on premises and the guy was a real odd duck so to speak.
David

maybe because he doesn't use trekking poles?

shelterbuilder
06-23-2007, 07:48
[quote=DavidNH;37422 Only thing here..the care taker..He lives on premises and the guy was a real odd duck so to speak.

David[/quote]

Probably because he sees too many thru-hikers??:-?

Mick is okay - he just doesn't get out much!!:D

shelterbuilder

Peanut
11-17-2008, 12:51
I know the water is from a spigot...can we count on it for water in the cold..does it freeze up easily? Thanks!

emerald
11-17-2008, 14:21
It's unclear to me to which facility you were referring. Sometime I will start 2 threads to replace this one. I have no idea why someone lumped 501 Shelter and Eckville Shelter together.

The pipe at 501 is insulated and Ron told me he expects to be able to provide water through the winter. The alternate(s) in the event of a problem with the pump or well are 2 springs mentioned in Water Conditions on the trail in Pa.

Water is available at Eckville too. Talk to Caretaker Mick. He's there to assist you.

Happy hiking!

SOG/Peter

PAmoneypit
05-24-2011, 08:18
Hello everyone,

It seems this topic hasn't been addressed in quite awhile. ***update*** This season the caregivers at the 501 are Bob & Martha (sweet couple). Happy to help when at home. I no longer provide a hostel for the hikers thanks to my neighbor but I do have a shuttle service for groceries,motel,airport,bus aand other trail heads...slack packing too. You can call me on the housephone 570-345-1119 or cell 570-292-3350. My mom & dad help me out in the busy season so if I am away still give me a call. I will accept mail drop if they call first to reserve....too many boxes being left behind. Must be picked up within the week of arrival.....

Make sure you put the hikers name on it, C/O Amy Holland,76 Cardinal RD. Pine Grove,PA 17963

Everyone be Safe out there...and beware of the poison ivy :) Amy Lu:sun

PAmoneypit
10-27-2011, 17:06
Hello everyone,

I would like to say "thank you to all the great hikers in the season of 2011" Next year will be a few changes, due to my marital status, and job change ..I will be driving a tractor trailer & getting married, with a move to Tupelo, MS. DO NOT Fret !!! I will be keeping my home in PA and available on occassions. My Father Lance & Mother Joyce also live in Pine Grove and are semi-retired and have agreed to take up the slack of the shuttle service I have. They have helped many hikers before as some of you already know them. If you read the forums update your "BOOK" Shuttle service for PA 501 can be reached @ 570-345-0474. Lance or Joyce Carlin
Call for appt. and quotes on rates. My numbers are the same 570-345-1119 or cell 570-292-3350

daimonpaul
02-09-2014, 19:51
I stopped by the 501 shelter today, really surprised by how large it is. I was there when I was just a tot and I didn't remember it well.

Debbie
11-18-2014, 12:21
Anyone have recent info about whether the water spigot is on at Eckville during the winter months?

RED-DOG
11-18-2014, 14:02
Every time I stopped at Eckville shelter they wasn't offering the extras and the guy that lives in the house beside the shelter wasn't real friendly at all so I hiked on, are they know offering the extras, soda, ice cream and did they find a new caretaker ? ( I hope so ) but the 501 shelter is awesome and the caretaker was VERY friendly

Mushroom_Mouse
03-10-2016, 09:50
Will any portion of the Eckville Shelter be unlocked during April? I see that AWOL's guide says that the shelter is closed until May.

HamSandwich
01-10-2017, 12:01
501! I see several pizza options in Pine Grove, PA:

* Do's Pizza ((570) 345-4041)
* Dominick's Pizzeria ((570) 345-4930)
* Original Italian Pizza ((570) 345-5432)

Any recommendations? Which would deliver to 501? I can call, too, if I don't get any feedback.

Also: 501 supposedly has a year-round caretaker. True? Working on a late-winter PA section, and 501 looks ideal, if they're open.

Or even better would be Lundgren Cabin: Is it possible to stay there? I'm not a BMECC member. I can contact them, too, but hey, I'm already typing here. ;)

*(570) 345-4930

Slo-go'en
01-10-2017, 14:34
There is a Ranger who lives in a house next to the 501 shelter.

I tried to get an order delivered to the 501 shelter last May. They wanted a $20 minimum order, plus tip. Normally it's $15, but apparently they were busy when I called and didn't want to make the trip. I was wet and cold and really wanted a hot meal I didn't have to cook, but 20 bucks was more then I was willing to spend for a sub and what ever else I needed to pad the order with to get up to 20. 15 I would have gone for, but that extra 5 just tipped me over the edge.

HamSandwich
01-10-2017, 14:43
Thanks, Slo-go'en! Good to know re: 501 ranger.

Pizza: who'd ya call, you remember? So I can try the others? :)

Slo-go'en
01-10-2017, 14:48
Thanks, Slo-go'en! Good to know re: 501 ranger.

Pizza: who'd ya call, you remember? So I can try the others? :)

I think there is only one place which delivers there, there was a menu at the shelter.

Deacon
01-10-2017, 14:54
I think there is only one place which delivers there, there was a menu at the shelter.

Yes, there is a sign/menu posted inside the shelter. FYI, the 501 is really a fully enclosed cabin, unlike other shelters, and has a large picnic table inside. It lends itself very nice to ordering pizza. You do have to walk approximately 500 feet to the road to meet the pizza guy.

HamSandwich
01-10-2017, 15:10
Super, folks! Thanks. I'm hoping a pizza dinner & breakfast will allow me to complete my PA section packing only snacks and one lunch. Sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capehiker
01-10-2017, 15:34
Myself and two friends stayed at the 501 last February. Pizza was hot and delicious on that very chilly night. The caretaker was friendly.

Gambit McCrae
01-10-2017, 15:54
Super, folks! Thanks. I'm hoping a pizza dinner & breakfast will allow me to complete my PA section packing only snacks and one lunch. Sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bring a backup...just my 2 cents

HamSandwich
01-10-2017, 16:18
Bring a backup...just my 2 cents

Thanks! Absolutely. I'll have ample iron rations (bars/GORP) for dinner, breakfast & snack before a fat Port Clinton lunch. Can add those back if they're used before their time.