PDA

View Full Version : Umbrella for hiking

topshelf
09-27-2010, 11:50
So I have heard of people hiking with an umbrella. But I was thinking about the fundamental flaw of umbrellas and the fact you never actually stand directly under the center of the umbrella like you should. Someone(probably myself) needs to make an umbrella with a handle that isn't centered. That way you can stand actually under the center of the umbrella.

Then I thought of how it could be applied to backpacking. You could attach a flap to the back that rolls up. It could then somehow unroll and loosely attach to your pack as a pack cover. Assuming you dont hike when its too windy this might work. :-?

Nean
09-27-2010, 12:16
I picked up a 5$ umbrella last year and liked the extra protection from cold wind and blowing rain. I don't like to get soaked (in the winter). As far as being centered- I'd not worry about it.;)

veteran
09-27-2010, 12:29
:D

http://www.ageandanniesramblings.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/umbrella-hat-big.jpg

Odd Man Out
09-27-2010, 15:20
My Tilly Hat does the same thing, and looks better.

GA BASS
09-27-2010, 17:36
a very small travel umbrella is nice around camp less than 3 oz, i always get a funny look when i pull it out but hey i'm dry and they want to borrow it if nature calls

GA BASS
09-27-2010, 17:37
best post i've seen in days redeye

Iceaxe
09-27-2010, 18:44
I bought an umbrella for my PCT hike but never carried it due to the amazing streak of good weather we had in 2009. A few of my buddies carried an umbrella the entire tri-state route. As "Pi" told my just this year, "I have a Love/Hate relationship with my umbrella." He said he carried it for weeks at a time without using it. Yet when i ran into him this year on the CDT in the Anaconda Pintler Wilderness, in a light rain, he sure looked smug under that golite Chrome Dome! Lint and Pi both used their umbrellas to augment their tarp shelters. Pi even found he could even use his umbrella to hold up the head end of his tarp (Mountain laurel Designs Patrol Shelter) instead of a trekking pole.
Personally I have just begun using an umbrella and have no real data of my own. The reason I am going to bring an umbrella on the AT is in part the total failure of both expensive and cheap rain shells to breathe properly leading to my insulation layers soaking through particularly in Washington and Montana rain. Obviously if there is a heavy wind component the umbrella becomes almost useless. However on the last two long trails most of the rain I had was gentle but sustained for hours or days. Only a few times I had major wind events AND rain and they lasted half a day or so. For me the 7 oz umbrella will ne valuable if I can use it to support my tarp as well as allowing me to hike without a shell sometimes.
One other consideration is the incessant noise of rain and the restriction to vision imposed by a parka hood is totally obviated by an umbrella. I will still carry some form of raingear but I am leaning towards a cheap plastic poncho less than 2 oz. combined with my umbrella.
The consensus I got from my hiker buddies on both the PCT and CDT was that eventually all rain shells either wet out from outside or within no matter how expensive or high tech they were. That being said I did love my Marmot Precip on both previous Long Distance Hikes for it's ability to act as an extra warm layer. However both times after a few hours whatever I was wearing under the shell became soaked. I might as well have hiked with the shell at that point.
As far as being hands free, it is no major obstacle with an umbrella. The easiest way I have found so far is to simply attach the handle to my shoulder strap with a velco loop and allow the umbrella to hook over the top of my pack though this means I have to pack a bit differently since 10 lbs of gear in a MLD Exodus is a pretty small package. I have all winter to practice in the Redwood rainforests of Northwestern California.
So for the AT I am gonna go with the Umbrella and have a cheap plastic poncho as a backup.
Just my 2 cents. :D

Smile
09-27-2010, 18:51
Montbell Umbrella, best I've found so far. :)

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catal...TB150&code=GF4

Disposable
09-27-2010, 18:52
http://www.senzumbrellas.com/

Asymmetrical umbrellas. I got the "original" size one and it feels a little small, but it's as big as some others I've seen and I think it would be okay in the narrower space of a trail. Weighs nearly a pound.

Deja Vu
09-27-2010, 22:47
I used an umbrella for a portion of my NOBO AT thru-hike this summer. It worked well during the warmer months when the main purpose was to keep water off my face and head. It also diverted some water from the "brain" of my pack, which was covered by a rain cover that tended to soak through at that location. I replaced it with a rain suit in Hanover since I wanted to be able to completely shield myself from rain in the colder north.

The upside is that it is easier to retract the umbrella when the rain stops vs strip out of a rain suit (a major undertaking for me). I found that as soon as I take the suit off it starts to rain again, and when I put it back on the rain stops. The umbrella made this simple to deal with. However, on the AT there are many places where tree limbs or rocks are close enough to the treadway that the umbrella will get caught up if you're not careful. Also, I always felt off-balance using one hiking pole and holding the umbrella...but maybe that's just me. They are also relatively useless if you need your hands for climbing.

One of my hiking buddies used an umbrella exclusively and he seemed quite adept at it.

gopher
09-28-2010, 07:23
The umbrella has another use than rain protection. On those days when the sun beats down and its 90 degrees, portable shade is a blessing. I hook mine under the sternum strap this works until the wind blows then I use my frogg togg jacket.

Blissful
09-28-2010, 08:48
My son carried and used his go lite umbrella on our '07 hike. Loved it.

SouthMark
09-28-2010, 08:59
Check out this version of an umbrella hat. It is 28" in diameter.

http://www.sourcingmap.com/red-umbrella-hat-golf-fishing-camping-headwear-cap-p-64863.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=usfroogle

Daydream Believer
09-28-2010, 11:49

http://www.sourcingmap.com/red-umbrella-hat-golf-fishing-camping-headwear-cap-p-64863.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=usfroogle

That actually looks like it might work. After two days of downpours here in SE Virginia and wearing my wet weather gear to the failure point both days out doing chores on our farm, I'm ready to try something else!

juma
09-28-2010, 12:15
http://www.ageandanniesramblings.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/umbrella-hat-big.jpg

ditto. in warm weather, the UH and a pack cover are the bomb. always google for "large umbrella hat" to get the biggest one.

juma
09-28-2010, 12:18
My Tilly Hat does the same thing, and looks better.

all true - but the hat will never vent as well. the clown look factor is a valid point though.

juma
09-28-2010, 12:26

ordered two. substantial decrease in clown factor with that solid red. the extra width is what I've always looked for too. great find!

Smile
09-28-2010, 12:45
An umbrella upside down also holds water :) Many uses!

Strategic
09-29-2010, 22:04
I've carried an umbrella for a while and find it very handy. It really is the best in anything but cold, blowing rain. The model is one I went with after long search, a Birdiepal Swing Liteflex (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/2007_birdiepal_umbrellas_spotlite_review.html) with the reflective coating, is both light and has excellent coverage (both a bit better than the GoLite Dome.)

To answer Deja Vu's problem from above, I don't use my hands at all for my umbrella when I've got my pack on. I use the little bungee loops that came on the shoulder straps of my Circuit to hold it in place and keep both trekking poles in hand. Holds it at just the right spot.

Khike
10-30-2010, 07:50
Hello All, I just finished a 9 day SB in the GSMP with a friend who uses a EuroSchirm treking umbrella. I have followed him for 2 years as he used this umbrella. When it starts to rain, he just whips it out and he is covered! When the rain stops he just puts it away. It is WAY easier than either my poncho for backpacking or using my MH Epic jacket/pants. The only draw back I can see from watching him use it is that he can't use his sticks for walking, or can use only one. It weighs 10 ozs! 52 bucks. I am gonna get an umbrella and give it a shot. It looks pretty good from what I have seen. Happy Hiking! Kevin

leaftye
10-30-2010, 09:49
I used an umbrella for the first part of the PCT. It helped me build a tan without burning. I shipped it ahead and luckily got there to use it as it started to rain. I used it that one day and it was very nice. Unfortunately it's difficult to predict the rain well enough to plan where to ship it ahead.

TIDE-HSV
10-31-2010, 12:22
I don't think I'd do long distance hiking with one, but I've climbed Mt. LeConte a couple of times with one. I just used it like a hiking pole when it wasn't raining. I also hiked out to my car in Slick Rock, about five miles round trip to retrieve my brolly. I also found out on that trip that, if you're hiking with a bunch of friends and it's still raining after camp is made, it will become very crowded under your umbrella... :)

Deadeye
10-31-2010, 12:24
Unfortunately it's difficult to predict the rain well enough to plan where to ship it ahead.

Not much of a problem on the East coast... it rains plenty.

Odd Man Out
10-31-2010, 12:28
I don't think I'd do long distance hiking with one, but I've climbed Mt. LeConte a couple of times with one. I just used it like a hiking pole when it wasn't raining. I also hiked out to my car in Slick Rock, about five miles round trip to retrieve my brolly. I also found out on that trip that, if you're hiking with a bunch of friends and it's still raining after camp is made, it will become very crowded under your umbrella... :)

I see on the EuroSchirm web site they list a trekking umbrella that is built into a Komperdell trekking pole. They also have a hands free umbrella with clips to attach to your pack straps. I have not tried either, but they look interesting.

http://www.euroschirm.com/usa/index.cgi

JERMM
10-31-2010, 13:49
I used an umbrella on my 500 mile section hike this summer. Was very glad I had it through MA-CT in the rain. It provided shade in NJ while crossing the open sections of trail and road walks and again when crossing PA's Cumberland Valley in the sun with temps at 95*F+ in the shade.

It's now part of my gear when out for long distance hikes.

Miner
10-31-2010, 15:08
I bought 2 umbrellas for my 2009 PCT hike: A golite Chrome Dome(8oz) for use in the deserts as shade and a Montbell UL Trekking Umbrella (5oz) for use in rainier sections where it was cooler. However, as IceAxe noted, many of us had excellent weather in 2009 and they didn't get used much.

I only used the Chrome Dome twice for shade (and it does work as it was only 95F under it while it was over 100F outside), but it was a pain to deal with in strong wind. It worked fine when the wind was from behind since the umbrella overlapped my backpack, but from the side or front, it didn't work as well. However, as I had cloudy or at least unseasonably cool weather for most of SoCal, I I ended up mailing it home early in Aqua Dulce and hiked for the rest of California without it.

For the Pacific NW, I picked up my lighter Montbell umbrella. For my trip I only hiked in 3days of any significant rain and 3.5days in snow so I don't have alot of experience with actually using it in rain. My 4year old 8oz OR Zealot paclite Gortex rain Jacket and a synthetic baseball cap was more then sufficient most of the time and I never wetted out since the minimalist jacket was realy thin and the temps were cool when I used it (I also never zipped the front up but use the sternum strap to hold it sort of closed). The ball cap keeps more rain off your face then just your jacket's hood and this was sufficent most of the time. THe umbrella didn't get much use since I had wind hiking along ridges when it rained since the clouds were being blown over. I think it would have worked better in warmer temps with less wind. The umbrella was more usefull for me for taking a dry break under when no other natural shelter was found (like the time I sat in an enclosed bulldozer's cab since the door had been left open). And it did block some wind blown rain under my tarp when I deployed it at the food end of my tarp.

erichkopp
10-31-2010, 18:27
I'd never thought too much about using an umbrella before. It seems perfect for giving a tarp some added protection, and being able to use it instead of a trekking pole for pitching a tarp and hiking sounds really good too. For those people that have done thru's and longer hikes with an umbrella, did they carry anything extra for the cold sideways rain? I'm thinking a windshirt would work really well combined with an umbrella for most anything you'd encounter for 3-season backpacking.

sbhikes
10-31-2010, 19:33
I found an umbrella in the trash at Kennedy Meadows in 2008. Oh how I wish I would have had it earlier! It was awesome for portable shade. I brought the same umbrella with me on my hike in 2009. It sucked for portable rain gear in Washington. The trail was so overgrown the only part of me that was dry was the top of my head. Otherwise I was pushing my way through head-high wet brush. I was slapped in the face every few minutes by a stupid wet tree. All the wet bushes dumped cold water down my rain pants and into my shoes. I swear it rained from the ground up in Washington.

I use my umbrella all the time on dayhikes now on rainy days. I'm so happy. It's awesome. The trails I dayhike are not nearly as overgrown as Washington was.

TIDE-HSV
11-04-2010, 08:28
I see on the EuroSchirm web site they list a trekking umbrella that is built into a Komperdell trekking pole. They also have a hands free umbrella with clips to attach to your pack straps. I have not tried either, but they look interesting.

http://www.euroschirm.com/usa/index.cgi

Very interesting! My daughter lives in Stuttgart, not far from Ulm. I'll ask her if she sees them there for sale. Komperdell is a good hiking stick. My wife and I both use them...

leaftye
11-04-2010, 09:42
The trekking pole umbrella is a nice idea, but I don't think I could hold up a 1+ pound umbrella all day and I'm sure it'd be torture if I needed it for several continuous days of rain.

Strategic
11-06-2010, 17:56
Hello All, I just finished a 9 day SB in the GSMP with a friend who uses a EuroSchirm treking umbrella. I have followed him for 2 years as he used this umbrella. When it starts to rain, he just whips it out and he is covered! When the rain stops he just puts it away. It is WAY easier than either my poncho for backpacking or using my MH Epic jacket/pants. The only draw back I can see from watching him use it is that he can't use his sticks for walking, or can use only one. It weighs 10 ozs! 52 bucks. I am gonna get an umbrella and give it a shot. It looks pretty good from what I have seen. Happy Hiking! Kevin

Yeah, these guys are the same company that make the Birdiepal model I use. Great company and many designs for different hiking styles.

Helios
11-06-2010, 21:31
Shoulder umbrella: http://www.amazon.com/HANDS-FREE-SHOULDER-UMBRELLA/dp/B003UMM8PU/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289093333&sr=8-1-fkmr1

oldbear
11-06-2010, 21:35
I haven't added an umbrella to my equipment list ..yet But it does sound like an idea worth looking into .
I'm going old school and using a Tioga pack so if I put some thought into it I should be able to come with a way to attach an umbrella to the pack-frame

Surplusman
11-07-2010, 07:09
William Clark carried an umbrella on the Lewis & Clark Expedition until he lost it in a flash flood on the Missouri River in June 1805. So umbrellas on the trail aren't a recent thing. Until I needed two hiking poles to stabilize myself, I always carried a small one. There are some good tips in this thread about hands-free umbrella use which I'm going to look into. Thanks!

leaftye
11-07-2010, 13:26
I should add that a short pack makes it a lot easier to use an umbrella. Using my umbrella is awkward when my pad is strapped on top and my trekking poles are in the side pocket.