PDA

View Full Version : Platypus leak!

SMSP
10-05-2010, 17:33
Platypus leak!

I have a few Platypus collapsible bottles and they have served me well.
The other day I had one filled in my everyday bag and the next day it was half empty with my bag wet and what not. The leak point is very tiny, like a pinhole size on the side of the bottle.

So, what’s a good fix for that?

I was thinking a small dab of silicone?

What do you think?

SMSP

Lyle
10-05-2010, 17:34
They have a lifetime warranty. Send it back to Platypus, they should replace it. Heard of others who received new bags.

Pedaling Fool
10-05-2010, 17:38
That happened to me on a 2007 hike with a 100 oz bladder. I used a tent repair kit. Don't know the brand name, just some thing that's been in my pack forever; looks just like clear tape.

Still using that same bladder today, not just on hikes but when I'm on the treadmill.

SMSP
10-05-2010, 17:42
The pinhole is so small that I doubt silicone will even enter the bottle.
Any reason why I shouldnt use silicone?

SMSP

Pedaling Fool
10-05-2010, 17:50
You can try the siclicone, but if it doesn't work..

Like I said, not sure what I used, but I'd be willing to bet any of these would work http://www.tapebrothers.com/Tent-Repair-Tape-s/344.htm

Skidsteer
10-05-2010, 17:51
Playpus makes a peel-off patch about one inch square.

Works on some air mattresses as well.

Dogwood
10-05-2010, 17:53
I have had 3(three) leaks in 4 different 2.4L Platys over the past 5 yrs and nearly 14 K trail miles. When the seals near the cap or the seams spring a leak I just replace by buying a new one. This has happened twice with the 3 that I've had leak. Curiously, those seams delaminated just after I had cleaned out the Platys with straight H2O2(hydrogen peroxide). HUMM!!! Have to send Platy a question! Cascade Designs replaced one of the Platys with the delaminated seam free of charge. The one pin hole leak on the side of the Platy I receved came from a joshua tree. I patched it with some duct tape. When I got to town used some 2 part epoxy made for hard-to-bond plastics like polyethylene. In hindsight, while the duct tape patch and 2 part epoxy worked to fix the pinhole it cost me nearly half the price of a new 2.4L Platy.

Dogwood
10-05-2010, 17:54
Also, try a clear pastic no glue bicycle patch for pinhole patches.

Pedaling Fool
10-10-2010, 14:24
That happened to me on a 2007 hike with a 100 oz bladder. I used a tent repair kit. Don't know the brand name, just some thing that's been in my pack forever; looks just like clear tape.

Still using that same bladder today, not just on hikes but when I'm on the treadmill.
I've been reorganizing my gear this weekend and I found this in my pack http://www.campingsurvival.com/keklk.html; that's the stuff I used to tape over the hole in my platypus -- KENYON Klear K-Tape.

Very strong stuff, I've also used it on my rain pants and jacket.

10-K
10-10-2010, 18:13
I had the exact same thing happen and a piece of duct tape worked great. In fact, I used the same platypus with the duct tape on other hikes afterwards.

bigcranky
10-10-2010, 18:15
Playpus makes a peel-off patch about one inch square.

I have used and loved Platy Patches for several years. I am down to my last patch. I cannot find anyone who sells them, and the Platypus web site no longer mentions them anywhere.

Do you have a source? I'd be very happy if you did.

Thanks.

Skidsteer
10-10-2010, 18:41
I have used and loved Platy Patches for several years. I am down to my last patch. I cannot find anyone who sells them, and the Platypus web site no longer mentions them anywhere.

Do you have a source? I'd be very happy if you did.

Thanks.

Hmmm...it has been a while since I bought my patches-probably 3-4 years.

I bought them at an outfitter in Greensboro, Raleigh, or Winston-Salem. I travel a lot and that's about the best I remember. I've only used three out of the pack(platy, sil-nylon stuff sack, and Big Agnes Clearview pad)so I haven't had to look for any lately.

I do have an alternative if you can't find any.. Go to a swimming pool store that sells above-ground or in-ground vinyl liner pools and ask for an 'underwater peel-off patch kit'. For that matter, you could probably google that for an on-line source. Those will work as well as the Platy patches or better.

bigcranky
10-10-2010, 20:34
I do have an alternative if you can't find any.. Go to a swimming pool store that sells above-ground or in-ground vinyl liner pools and ask for an 'underwater peel-off patch kit'. For that matter, you could probably google that for an on-line source. Those will work as well as the Platy patches or better.

Perfect, thanks.

Manwich
10-10-2010, 20:43
Duct Tape. Gone 2 years with the same piece on a small cut on mine.

10-K
10-10-2010, 21:05
Duct Tape. Gone 2 years with the same piece on a small cut on mine.

Yup..........