PDA

View Full Version : Lighters

bishopj
01-10-2011, 14:38
What kind of lighters do you folks take on the trail i was thinking about some bics and 2 box of matches as backup. What do you think.
:confused:

Old Hiker
01-10-2011, 14:42
I haven't used matches in years. 2-3 Bic lighters, but probably more, as I tend to squirrel them away in nooks and crannys. I forget about them until I got to the bottom of the pocket, bag or whatever. I also have some sort of very light weight fire starter as well: dryer lint, cotton ball + vaseline, ping pong ball, commercial starter, whatever.

Fog Horn
01-10-2011, 14:42
If your matches are a back up, you probably only need enough to get you to the next resupply point, so about three days worth. A cheap, lightweight book of matches should work fine.

Charlie D
01-10-2011, 14:46
I have had trouble getting Bic lighters to work when my hands are wet. There is another lighter that is a kind of piezeolectric (sp?) that works much better. I have found them in tobacco stores.
I agree about the book matches,,, you have a good place to strike the match, as long as it is dry.

Yukon
01-10-2011, 14:49
Coleman butane lighter

leaftye
01-10-2011, 15:26
Bic lighter and firesteel.

Blissful
01-10-2011, 15:46
Bic and I had a back up of matches. But never had a problem with the Bic.

Spokes
01-10-2011, 15:53
Here's some hiker trivia:

Thru hikers prefer white bic lighters. They're always the first to sell out in all the trail town stores.

Why?

Because the fuel level is easier to see through the white ones.........

Now you know!

mlkelley
01-10-2011, 16:56
I carry a full sized white bic as my primary source of flame with a white mini bic as a backup. And, 4 stick matches that have been in my kit for over 4 years without being used. Have had several folks on the trail refuse a light from my white bic lighter, saying that white bics are "bad luck".

veteran
01-10-2011, 17:08
You could use one of these, a little overkill tho. :D

http://www.codblackopsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Black-Ops-Weapons-Flamethrower.jpg

Skidsteer
01-10-2011, 17:35
You could use one of these, a little overkill tho. :D

http://www.codblackopsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Black-Ops-Weapons-Flamethrower.jpg

How does one of those perform when temps drop below 20 F?

Rocket Jones
01-10-2011, 17:54
How does one of those perform when temps drop below 20 F?

When that happens, I just hold the trigger, one flick of my white bic and *FWOOF*, it ain't below 20F anymore. :D

Spokes
01-10-2011, 18:09
........... Have had several folks on the trail refuse a light from my white bic lighter, saying that white bics are "bad luck".

Section hikers no doubt..........hehehehee

swjohnsey
01-10-2011, 18:41
BIC lighter don't work when wet so it is good to have some kind of backup. After they dry out they will work again.

Pedaling Fool
01-10-2011, 18:52
Just use simple bics and have a few of them as backup. I used to carry "water-proof", notice the quotation marks, they're a freakin' joke. I don't bother with matches any more.

Point Man Chef
01-10-2011, 19:28
Call me overkill BUT I just like having 3 ways to easily start a fire. Maybe pyro vs. overkill?! I keep a small WHITE Bic in my cook kit. I have some dryer lint, matches in a water "proof" container and a BlastMatch that came with some starter material in a small pouch in my pack. I just like knowing I got three ways.

harryfred
01-10-2011, 21:16
I have a ACE lighter (disposable butane) you get a whole bunch of them for a buck at Wally World you can see the fuel in it and the flame is adjustable nice for lighting my alky stoves. that is packed with my cook gear. I always have a Bic and a SAK in my pocket, hiking or not. I use it on heat shrink and lighting torches. Plus its just handy to have a little fire always available:D There is also a small box of strike any where matches in my emergency bag. a 1 qt ziploc that has first aid, tent patch, needles and thread, super glue ect.

StubbleJumper
01-10-2011, 21:25
I keep it simple. Two mini Bics in the summer, and matches in the winter. I've had bad luck trying to use lighters when it gets cool, so just as happy to carry wooden matches.

SurferNerd
01-10-2011, 21:29
I carry 1 BIC, and 5 Anywhere Light matches. If your BIC gets wet, STOP pissing on it. Put it somewhere that ain't wet.

fiddlehead
01-10-2011, 22:16
I use the cheap Thai lighters i get here in Thailand.
I doubt you can find them in the states.
When it's cold and your hands are freezing and you're trying to light your stove, those child-proof things can suck.
I've had people show me how to remove them but I've broken lighters trying it.
A lighter needs to be reliable and easy to light. Especially in extreme conditions.

The cheap thai ones have a huge flame too.

veteran
01-10-2011, 22:17
When that happens, I just hold the trigger, one flick of my white bic and *FWOOF*, it ain't below 20F anymore. :D

http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/weapons-recent/flame.jpg

Sonno
01-10-2011, 22:45
Even though I quit smoking 7 months ago (20 years), I still carry my Zippo with me every where I go.

topshelf
01-10-2011, 22:48
I carry 2 bics. Never ever had an issue

BitBucket
01-10-2011, 22:55
Solo waterproof butane....lights every time....

leaftye
01-10-2011, 23:01
I used to carry "water-proof", notice the quotation marks, they're a freakin' joke.

I was leaning towards getting one last winter, but they all seem to be altitude limited. That's only acceptable if I stay in San Diego County.

Tinker
01-10-2011, 23:46
I got a free Windmill lighter when I bought my Hilleberg Akto tent. http://www.bestglide.com/windmill_delta.html
It's heavy even after I cut the "armor" coating off, but it's nearly impossible to blow out. I carry it in winter, otherwise I carry 2 Bics, one in my cookset and one in a plastic bag deep inside my pack where it stands very little chance of getting wet. I also carry a book of matches in the same manner.

ke4rjg
02-05-2011, 01:28
I carry an IMCO petrol lighter. Very reliable, and the removable tank can act as a candle/ match. Unlike a butane lighter, there's' no risk of a bad valve letting the gas out. The fuel does slowly evaporate, but after I fill it, I know it's good for one to two weeks.

Six bucks at http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZWB163-1.html

I also take matches in a sealed box for backup.

Gipsy
02-05-2011, 01:31
I like the ones for $0.99 at the counter of the convenience stores. The clear-ish ones, so I can keep an eye on fuel levels.

Bronk
02-05-2011, 02:41
You will probably lose a Bic lighter before you use it enough to run out of fuel. I bought a 5 pack before starting my hike in 2002 and they lasted me until about 2008. They can be difficult to light when it is very cold but if you put the lighter in your pocket or under your arm for a few minutes it will warm it up enough to light.

SassyWindsor
02-06-2011, 00:30
Swedish Firesteel = my Fire starter of choice.

As a novelty I have a hollowed out bic to store Vaseline/cotton balls and use the modified striker to ignite.

Ashevillian
02-06-2011, 00:57
I like the ones for $0.99 at the counter of the convenience stores. The clear-ish ones, so I can keep an eye on fuel levels.

I always had problems with those, although its nice to see the fuel level the wheel and flint falls apart. I think they used to call them Cricket lighters. For another $.50 you can't go wrong with a good old Bic. They have never failed me once.

will1972
02-06-2011, 01:18
As far as the Soto goes. I'm not that impressed, it is a cool toy and a hot flame. But the similar ones in the Auto Zone parts stores is $8-9 cheaper and works at least as well. They use the cheap style lighter anyway for fuel. Sooo, just use a cheap lighter. I haven't carried matches since i was in Scouts. Keep your lighter in your pocket and you will never have any problems. And yes I have the Soto, but I will never pack it in.

Snoring Sarge
02-06-2011, 02:05
Even though I quit smoking 7 months ago (20 years), I still carry my Zippo with me every where I go.

I quit Smoking June of 2001 and still carry a Brass Zippo. My grandpa said "a man should always have on him, a lighter, a knife and $20 (a bucks worth of change. 4 ones, a 5, and a 10).;)

mkmangold
02-06-2011, 02:58
You will probably lose a Bic lighter before you use it enough to run out of fuel. I bought a 5 pack before starting my hike in 2002 and they lasted me until about 2008. They can be difficult to light when it is very cold but if you put the lighter in your pocket or under your arm for a few minutes it will warm it up enough to light.

In this weather, my armpits are running out of space. Bics, a pack of matches, and a strike flint work fine.

Lumberpat73
02-06-2011, 19:30
my pocket rocket will light with the spark from a bic, even when its out of fuel.

mweinstone
02-06-2011, 19:51
remove plastic color wraping from bick with fingernail only. all bics are now white.
remove child safety with fork or knife. now its easy on your cold thumb.
tie a double prussic around with shoelace and tie to key loop in top pocket of pack.
when wet, roll flint down pant leg or on any surface a few times till sparks return.
back up with 2 books paper matches in ziplock.
carry candle.
extra bic in with spare batteries.
dont use minis, they hurt and run out and are a waste of materials.
allways be proficeient starting fires with bare hands and wood and knife.
bow and drill and socket and fireboard and tinder, drill and fireboard and tinder only, shoelace and log and tinder,
be proficient in chipping a stone knife flake.
practice filling broken bottles with water to make a lens for fire by magnification of the sun.
shape ice into convex lens the size of a softball for firestarting.
practice the battery and steel wool method.
know how to shoot a shell with a bit of tee shirt replaceing the shot and catch the burning rag.
practice locating 2 rocks that generate a hot enough spark to lite tinder. neither needs to be flint or iron.
practice locating dry tinder and fuel in soaked woods. split a log and look under logs.

mweinstone
02-06-2011, 19:57
just relized u cant peel the color off anymore. just buy white or light colors easy to find when dark.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-06-2011, 20:03
I have had trouble getting Bic lighters to work when my hands are wet. There is another lighter that is a kind of piezeolectric (sp?) that works much better. I have found them in tobacco stores.
I agree about the book matches,,, you have a good place to strike the match, as long as it is dry.

Bic lighters won't work when they're really cold ...but usually holding it in a closed hand for a few minutes will work..another trick is to carry it in your pocket all the time to keep it warm

sarman
02-07-2011, 08:20
Bic lighters won't work when they're really cold ...but usually holding it in a closed hand for a few minutes will work..another trick is to carry it in your pocket all the time to keep it warm

I have never had a butane light fail to light winter backpacking. As stated, keep the lighter in your pocket between uses. They will not work when wet. But they are easy to dry if not frozen. I carry NATO issue, wind/rainproof matches just in case.

I do not care for BIC lighters as the ones I have had were not adjustable and you could not see thru them. I get Calico lighters at 8 for $2.65. They are clear colors and are adjustable. I just picked up another pack at Kroger. I also tape a length of reflective guy cord and wear it as a necklace.

JaxHiker
02-07-2011, 11:46
What about fuel? My Zippo always seems to dry out when I go to use it.

As far as the Soto goes. I'm not that impressed, it is a cool toy and a hot flame. But the similar ones in the Auto Zone parts stores is $8-9 cheaper and works at least as well. They use the cheap style lighter anyway for fuel. Sooo, just use a cheap lighter. I haven't carried matches since i was in Scouts. Keep your lighter in your pocket and you will never have any problems. And yes I have the Soto, but I will never pack it in.
Good to know. I've been thinking about getting the Soto more for the novelty than anything else. Maybe I'll save my money.

Sassafras Lass
02-07-2011, 11:49
Bic lighter and firesteel.

2nd that. We're bringing a mini Bic lighter and a firesteel on our AT thru this year.

mweinstone
02-07-2011, 12:01
a small zippo outlasts a large zippo and has tighter tolorances for less evaporation of fuel combined with less surface area of suseptable leak areas.both zippos and bics need to vaporize liquid fuels to ignite.hand warmth is fine. i make a habbit of putting my bic in my crotch first thing when i wake up and am waiting to have the courrage to get dressed. its my first camp task. warming the bic.lol.
adjustable lighters can be lit when they appere empty by removeing the cowling carfully and then lifting the adjustment loop up off of its gear and advanceing it a half turn to the left. replace loop on gear in new position and replace cowling. now it will give its final lights with the tank open to full bore. you will get a small flame only once or twice so use wisely. if this adjustment is made on a new bic it will produce a dangerousyly long, but oftimes needed fire starting lighter. in the event of a woman needing to defend herself against an attacker in the farther places, it is possible to place a sewing needle thru the port in the base of a bic and aim and remove the needle lighting the stream of liquid butane at the same time by haveing a lit match in her hand while pulling the needle out aimed away from you. this creates a defensive weapon in survival situations streeming fuel 3 feet for 3 seconds.

Wise Old Owl
02-07-2011, 13:08
I use the cheap Thai lighters i get here in Thailand.
I doubt you can find them in the states.
When it's cold and your hands are freezing and you're trying to light your stove, those child-proof things can suck.
I've had people show me how to remove them but I've broken lighters trying it.
A lighter needs to be reliable and easy to light. Especially in extreme conditions.

The cheap thai ones have a huge flame too.

You can insert your knife point under the metal child device and flick the damn thing out...