PDA

View Full Version : Roundtrip time for Katahdin ??

Jigger Johnson
01-01-2005, 02:27
Hello people I am hiking Mt. Katahdin in May or June. I was wondering how long it will take (weather permitting) to get to the top and back down again at a leasurely pace. Also, what is the best time of day to head up?? If anyone knows of the closest campground that would be great to. Any help would be great!!!! Thanks!:)

TJ aka Teej
01-01-2005, 09:40
Any help would be great!!!!Do not count on the Hunt Trail being open before Memorial Day weekend. How long the climb takes depends on your personal fitness. Now that I'm in my 40s, with bad back and knees, eight hours is about my average. Some finishing nobos do it in five hours or less. Start up at first light, before the gates open and the conga-line of hikers crowd the Trail. The closest campground is inside Baxter Park at the base of the Mountain - Katahdin Stream Campground. You'll need reservations, see www.baxterstateparkauthority.com (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/) for more info.
have fun,

weary
01-01-2005, 10:00
Hello people I am hiking Mt. Katahdin in May or June. I was wondering how long it will take (weather permitting) to get to the top and back down again at a leasurely pace. Also, what is the best time of day to head up?? If anyone knows of the closest campground that would be great to. Any help would be great!!!! Thanks!:)
TJ is right. The Hunt Trail, AT, is often not open until well into June. I usually figure on 10 hours to make the round trip, but as the years wander by the round trip takes progressively longer.

My favorite route to the summit these days is from Chimney Pond, on the other side of the mountain from the AT. Chimney Pond is an easy 3.5 miles from the nearest road terminal at Roaring Brook Campground. The summit is another 4-6 mile round trip, depending on which of several trails you choose.

Depending on reservation availability I try to camp in the Chimney Pond leantos and climb to the summit on the second day. Sometimes I spend a second night at Chimney Pond, which is probably the most beautiful campsite in the East.

If doing the AT to the summit is your only goal, a second campground choice is Abol Campground, two miles easterly of Katahdin Stream.

Weary

FoodFighter
01-01-2005, 10:40
If you have a few days here's a nice way to do it:
Day one- come to Baxter from Millinocket and you get to the Roaring Brook Campground. A lot of people start their hike up Katahdin from here but that makes for a loooong hike starting very early... instead you can explore around Roaring Brook for the day then hike up one or two miles to Chimney Pond (a really easy walk). Stay at Chimney Pond, truely one of the most beautiful campsites you've ever seen.
Daytwo- you don't have to wake up as early as those down at Roaring Brook and then you just go hike the knifes edge and come back (basically a circle) to Chimney pond. At this point you can stay at Chimney Pond another night or go down to Roaring brook and your car that day.
TOday is the first day that you can make reservations for this year (ahhh Happy 2005!) and a lot of people actually go up to Millinocket and wait in line to make them but you can also send away for reservations. Check the Baxter Website.
I hope this helps, I know your question was just how long it would take but I couldn't help myself.
-Foodfighter

TJ aka Teej
01-01-2005, 11:04
TOday is the first day that you can make reservations for this year (ahhh Happy 2005!) and a lot of people actually go up to Millinocket and wait in line to make them but you can also send away for reservations. Check the Baxter Website.

That's all changed now with the new 'rolling reservation' program.
www.baxterstateparkauthority.com (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com)

Peaks
01-01-2005, 12:46
TJ is right. The Hunt Trail, AT, is often not open until well into June. I usually figure on 10 hours to make the round trip, but as the years wander by the round trip takes progressively longer.

My favorite route to the summit these days is from Chimney Pond, on the other side of the mountain from the AT. Chimney Pond is an easy 3.5 miles from the nearest road terminal at Roaring Brook Campground. The summit is another 4-6 mile round trip, depending on which of several trails you choose.

Depending on reservation availability I try to camp in the Chimney Pond leantos and climb to the summit on the second day. Sometimes I spend a second night at Chimney Pond, which is probably the most beautiful campsite in the East.

If doing the AT to the summit is your only goal, a second campground choice is Abol Campground, two miles easterly of Katahdin Stream.

Weary

The Hunt Trail is usually the first to open because of it's western exposure. Trails up from Chimney Pond area usually open later in June.

Jigger Johnson
01-01-2005, 13:27
Thanks alot guys, this was helpful info and good insight. I wish I could leave tomorrow!!:)