PDA

View Full Version : Cell Carrier decision

Six-Six
07-08-2011, 16:02
I am about to get RIF-ed and will lose my company provided cell phone. Oh my - I will have to buy my own! :) (I know - please don't laugh)

Before I decide on any ol' carrier, is there any consensus on which one provides the best coverage on the trail? Or, does it make much difference anymore?

I've carried a phone with Sprint service and the coverage was spotty in the GSMNP and in Va south of Daleville.

Any suggestions or words of caution?

Thanks in advance.....let the opinions fly....

Six-Six
07-08-2011, 16:04
The good news about getting RIF-ed is that I will be free to do my Thru next spring.

BobTheBuilder
07-08-2011, 16:06
My phone is Verizon and has been better than most others between Springer and Pearisburg.

Wuff
07-08-2011, 17:03
My phone is Verizon and has been better than most others between Springer and Pearisburg.

I second Verizon as the choice. I rarely had any problems between Springer and Harpers Ferry(as far as I got this year).

Maybe you don't want to have good reception though.. many times it was hard to listen to hikers talking on their phones from their tents in the "wilderness".

Feral Bill
07-08-2011, 17:04
Or you could not own one, at least if you have a landline.

Kerosene
07-08-2011, 17:10
I third Verizon. It seems to do better at getting and holding a signal than other carriers I've encountered along the Trail and throughout the U.S. Still, when I have to bring a cell phone I tend to only rely on SMS text, which has a much better chance of getting through (at least to another cell phone :)

Rain Man
07-08-2011, 17:15
I am thinking of switching carriers and look forward to reading replies too! Had thought of Virgin until I read this site--
Virgin Mobile Customer Service User Reviews, Ratings and Comments (http://www.customerservicescoreboard.com/Virgin+Mobile)

Rain:sunMan

attroll
07-08-2011, 19:43
What ever you do, don't go with AT&T. They have the worst coverage on the trail. The best coverage came from US Cellular and Verizon on the trail. I had US Cellular and rarely ever had any problems. I was able to email and send my journals out between 95 and 99% of the time.

Shooting Star
07-08-2011, 21:36
Another vote for Verizon.

virgil
07-08-2011, 22:22
Verizon. I hiked from Springer to Deep Gap NC in May. I loaned my phone (Verizon) to quite a few people so they could call home. In fairness, my phone only worked about 10-15% of the time, plus text service an additional 10-15% of the time, but it was better than anyone else by quite a bit. Actually it was nice being a little separated from civilization. I had my phone shut off most of the time to save the battery.

mmais68569
07-09-2011, 07:34
Another vote for Verizon. The only place I had problems & everyone else had problems was the Smoky's. I think the reason is that there are limited if any towers in the Smoky's or due to the altitude you are above the towers. Just my thoughts. But yes go with Verizon.

Mike(Mr. Mean)

10%
07-09-2011, 13:42
I used T-Mobile in the GSMNP last year and only had reception once (standing on Charlie's Bunyon).  This year, I purchased a no-frills pay-as-you-go Verizon phone, and I had a good signal 80% of the time between Springer and the Smokies.

Sly
07-09-2011, 14:03
I am thinking of switching carriers and look forward to reading replies too! Had thought of Virgin until I read this site--
Virgin Mobile Customer Service User Reviews, Ratings and Comments (http://www.customerservicescoreboard.com/Virgin+Mobile)

Rain:sunMan

I checked into Virgin too. It looked like their service sucked outside of cities and corridors, but they had a good (cheap) plan with 300 anytime minutes, and unlimited email, web, data and text for $25. One of the android phones that didn't have particularly good reviews, was capable of tethering, so you basically had anywhere (they have coverage) internet for a laptop.

Nationwide, love them or leave them, Verizon has the best coverage.

malowitz
07-09-2011, 14:38
I thrud in 2010. Verizon had the best coverage by far on the trail as a whole. There were minor sections where people with AT&T phones were finally able to use them. I think the longest I went w/out 3G coverage (and sending out a journal entry) was 3 days w/Verizon. I even had 3G coverage at the Antlers campsite in the 100 mile wilderness. If you're starting with a clean slate, go with Verizon.

Note that Verizon just instituted tiered data plans as of Thursday. If you're looking for a smart phone w/data plan, you may end up paying more than you thought a week ago.

bk18
07-09-2011, 18:15
I used T-Mobile in the GSMNP last year and only had reception once (standing on Charlie's Bunyon).  This year, I purchased a no-frills pay-as-you-go Verizon phone, and I had a good signal 80% of the time between Springer and the Smokies.

The main ridge-line is about the only place you'll get signal with T-Mobile in GSMNP.

birchy
07-10-2011, 14:22
VERIZON for sure. I live on the AT in southern Pa, and Verizon is the best carrier for signal in that area

JaxHiker
07-10-2011, 15:08
This year was my first hiking experience with Verizon. I switched from T-Mobile after too many problems along both the Florida and Appalchian Trails. Verizon had a great coverage map and I have to say that I had service just about everywhere (with some exceptions in the gaps). There was only one occasion where I really wanted it to work and it didn't but it was still 1000x better than T-Mobile.

Bucherm
07-10-2011, 18:24
Verizon. You should have plenty good signal for voice and SMS. 3G will be a bit more dicey.

Don Newcomb
09-08-2011, 19:11
The US currently employs two major cellular standards: CDMA & GSM. The standard GSM (T-Mobile & ATT) has a range limit of 35 km. There are a few deployments of an extended range GSM, such as ATT's coverage of Lake Superior (including Isle Royale NP) but these are rare. CDMA (Verizon & Sprint) has no specific range limitation other than line of sight and the amount of time the base station software allows the matching filters to sync the signal. Verizon has very good coverage in the Northeast. One additional consideration is if the phone has a jack for an external antenna. You can do wonders with a small, 5-element, 850 MHz Yagi antenna. If you have the bucks, ATT offers a hybrid cellular/Terrestar satellite phone. It's a bit heavier than the usual "smartphone".