PDA

View Full Version : Digital Audio Recorder feedback

30 Large
07-28-2011, 17:55
One of the things I want to incorporate into my upcoming thru-hike is audio journal entries (for when I don't have the time or energy to write and something is on my mind) that tie into my written ones. I have been looking around the trusty interwebs for a decent candidate and I am pretty sure that I have decided on this:

Sanyo ICR-FP600D Digital Voice Recorder

(http://www.aaaprice.com/icrfp600d.html)It is 1.3oz(including battery) and has a 29hr record time off one AAA battery.
Expandable memory (up to 8GB) to allow 90 hours of recordings.

The only drawback I can possibly see is the size (37mm x 95mm x 18mm)

I just wanted to get some ideas and/or thoughts from everyone out here. Also if anyone has found a lighter/better/smaller recorder please offer it up :)

Rocket Jones
07-28-2011, 18:48
That's really not so large. It looks like a good deal for what you want it for.

Wise Old Owl
08-14-2011, 17:34
All smart phone appear to include that - try to find one that connects with Real Player.

HeartFire
08-14-2011, 20:36
I used a digital voice recorder when I hiked the AT. It was great, I would record little sound bites along the way so that wehn I got to camp in the evening, I was able to remember all the details of the day and write them down. It really improved my journaling. Day after day things can blend into each other, names of mountains people etc can be forgotten after a 15 or 20 mile day. The one I have is also an mp3 player, and fm radio so I was occaionally able to pick up NPR news.

30 Large
08-16-2011, 16:22
All smart phone appear to include that - try to find one that connects with Real Player.

All smart phones have chargers, which require electricity. And most have very poor battery life.

I used a digital voice recorder when I hiked the AT. It was great, I would record little sound bites along the way so that wehn I got to camp in the evening, I was able to remember all the details of the day and write them down. It really improved my journaling. Day after day things can blend into each other, names of mountains people etc can be forgotten after a 15 or 20 mile day. The one I have is also an mp3 player, and fm radio so I was occaionally able to pick up NPR news.

Do you recall or still have the one you used so I can compare?

stumpknocker
08-16-2011, 18:41
This is the one I've used on several thru hikes; http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-ICD-BX8112-Digital-Flash-Voice-Recorder/16207340

I believe I only changed batteries once or twice during each thru hike. I did turn it off each time I was done with it though.

It helped me tons in writing my journal each night by just little short messages to bring the day back. It also helped remembering people I saw.

It took me a short while to learn it, but then it was pretty much automatic each time I needed it.

HeartFire
08-16-2011, 18:45
Do you recall or still have the one you used so I can compare?

I"m sure it's around somewhere, but I can't find it, and I don't remember the name - I know you can't get them anymore, so... it wasn't much bigger than perhaps 2 AA batteries - it took only 1 AAA battery.

30 Large
08-16-2011, 19:50
This is the one I've used on several thru hikes; http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-ICD-BX8112-Digital-Flash-Voice-Recorder/16207340

I cannot find the weight anywhere. I notice it takes 2 batteries, how heavy is it?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it (3.6oz with batteries)

Wise Old Owl
08-16-2011, 20:17
30 large - IF i left my smart phone on for two days - it survives, They all include power management and the latest lithium batteries. If I turn it off and let messages accumulate on the cloud - it will last much longer.... unlimited storage and instant labeling in real player format.... Add a Bruton charger and wow.... - well nevermind.

But hey, its your opinion....

LDog
08-16-2011, 20:32
unlimited storage and instant labeling in real player format....
What app are you using?

--
Chilly
laughingdawg.blogspot.com

Wise Old Owl
08-16-2011, 20:47
Free AL Voice Recorder v2

30 Large
08-16-2011, 21:58
30 large - IF i left my smart phone on for two days - it survives, They all include power management and the latest lithium batteries. If I turn it off and let messages accumulate on the cloud - it will last much longer.... unlimited storage and instant labeling in real player format.... Add a Bruton charger and wow.... - well nevermind.

But hey, its your opinion....
I wasn't insinuating anything negative. I just personally won't be bringing my smartphone on my thru and don't want to be tied to a charger or an outlet waiting for it to recharge. That is why I am going with the battery operated option.

Wise Old Owl
08-16-2011, 22:08
I didn't say you were, its a word choice... You said poor battery life... it's lithium on a 4 0z platform... a few members here are working on a solar option that really works.

My biggest lament is carrying 4 separate items for entertainment. One is a camera. In the past I have had a Sony voice recorder on a single AAA and it wasn't worth the $99 I spent on it. FYI most MP3' players will record to audio provided you don't fill it up with music.