PDA

View Full Version : The Complete Walker V?

Jason762
10-16-2011, 20:08
I recently acquired this book at a used bookstore and so far I really like it. I did notice, though, despite being only 9 years old, so much has changed!

Some of the newer gear isn't listed. The Arcteryx Alta (I have a particular interest in opinions of the pack), the MSR Reactor, the Jetboil stove, etc.

Any rumors if they'll be coming out with a new edition in the near future?

Wil
10-16-2011, 20:26
despite being only 9 years old, so much has changed!

Some of the newer gear isn't listed...Any rumors if they'll be coming out with a new edition in the near future?Colin Fletcher is dead. There would be no point.

The book uses the background of specific brand/model gear to give Fletcher a framework to expound on hiking and _principles_ of the gear to support it. The brands/models were always outdated and it didn't matter. The third edition is still a good read (I prefer it over 4) and will be for a long, long time.

Lyle
10-16-2011, 20:50
What Wil said. The book was always about selection principles with specific gear only used as examples. Great Book, one of the best.

4eyedbuzzard
10-16-2011, 21:13
I recently acquired this book at a used bookstore and so far I really like it. I did notice, though, despite being only 9 years old, so much has changed!

Some of the newer gear isn't listed. The Arcteryx Alta (I have a particular interest in opinions of the pack), the MSR Reactor, the Jetboil stove, etc.

Any rumors if they'll be coming out with a new edition in the near future?There's an edition V? I thought the last was IV (2002)? I honestly only read the original 1st edition many years ago. But given that he died in 2007, I'd guess there wouldn't be any newer editions written, unless the rights to expand upon the work were sold at some point.

Jason762
10-16-2011, 21:38
colin fletcher is dead. There would be no point.

the book uses the background of specific brand/model gear to give fletcher a framework to expound on hiking and _principles_ of the gear to support it. The brands/models were always outdated and it didn't matter. The third edition is still a good read (i prefer it over 4) and will be for a long, long time.

Oh, terribly sorry to hear that. I enjoy his writing. out of courosity, why was the 3rd edition better? Should I try to seek it out and trade in the IVth?

there's an edition v? I thought the last was iv (2002)? I honestly only read the original 1st edition many years ago. But given that he died in 2007, i'd guess there wouldn't be any newer editions written, unless the rights to expand upon the work were sold at some point.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I got the 4th edition and was wondering about a 5th. My mistake. If I could, I'd go back and edit, but alas... I can't.

WingedMonkey
10-16-2011, 21:46
Edition IV was co-written by Chip Rawlins, always a chance him and the publisher could update it. I'm happy with my first edition.

Lyle
10-16-2011, 21:48
I don't think getting the newer version is all that important, since all the gear is outdated anyway. There are better sources for info on gear specifics. I like the earlier versions because I found them wittier. Colin Fletcher was the sole author of the earlier versions (no offense to his co-author of later versions).

If you enjoy it, check out his other books, he has several. Such as:

Thousand Mile Summer (Highly recommended)
Man Who Walked Through Time (VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

SouthMark
10-16-2011, 21:50
Actually IV was coauthored by Colin and Chip Rawlins and in Colin's on words "My fragrant hope that by handing the walking staff over to Chip–partially this time, totally later, if all goes well–I've given the book a chance to live on, post Fletcher".

So yes there could be a V and maybe more.

Wil
10-17-2011, 00:21
So yes there could be a V and maybe more.If the publisher (or some third party) owns the rights to the title and Fletcher's words, I suppose they could keep publishing new editions with old pieces of Fletcher mixed in with stuff from misc. new writers, trying to guild the corpse, but, as has been said, what would be the point.

If Chip Rawlins, or anyone else, choses to write a similar book I would hope they'd have the sense to choose another title.

mkmangold
10-17-2011, 00:47
I have editions I and IV and even though much of the gear Fletcher talks about in I are obsolete, I really enjoy the read. Rawlins is more hippy-like in his style than the gruff Scottish Fletcher but he did give me something to gnaw on with his "solar campsite"(p. 604).

Mags
10-17-2011, 02:03
If you get a chance, read RIVER by Colin Fletcher. A journey taken by Fletcher in the late 1980s (published in the early 90s IIRC), along the Colorado River from its true source in The Wind River Range to its sad remnants near Baja California.Great reading.
Always enjoyed some lines from the start of the book:

I also realized that I'd grown soft, Things had been going to well
latlely. Too easily. I needed something to pare the fat off my soul,
to scare the **** out of me, to make me grateful, again, for being
alive. All I knew, deep and safe, beyond mere intellect, that there
is nothing like a wilderness journey for re-kindling the fires of
life. Simplicity is part of it. Cutting the cackle. Transportation
reduced to leg- or arm-power, eating irons to one spoon.
Such simplicity, together with sweat and silence, amplify the rhythms
of any long journey, especially through unknown, untattered
territory. And in the end such a journey can restore an understanding
of how insignificant you are – thereby set you free.
–Colin Fletcher, RIVER

Gear comes and goes. But he experience of the outdoor journey is timeless.

Wil
10-17-2011, 02:15
why was the 3rd edition better?I like it a tiny bit better than the earlier ones. Maybe a little smoother. He maybe was a tiny bit coming to terms with the ultra-light thinking. Not liking it at all, but understanding it a little bit, even talking about trying it!

The 4th edition is a mess, IMO, an uneasy attempt at a transition. Colin was in pain due to the accident and distracted, I think; it was all very awkward, it seemed to me. YMMV.

bigcranky
10-17-2011, 10:53
Yeah, +1 on River, and see if you can find an original Complete Walker version 1 at a used book store somewhere. Later version have a chopped-up feel to me, as they mix new comments on gear in with the original book, which was about the "why-to" more than the nuts-and-bolts of specific gear.

Toolshed
10-17-2011, 18:39
I agree with everyone else here on The Complete Walker. I cut my teeth on Version II, then II then IV. I also didn't realize there was a V out. IIRC he was hit by a car and died much later of injuries?? It was never about the gear. The read, The adventure, the attitude and the knowledge is timeless.

If you are into this stuff, don't forget to read his self titled epic "The Man Who Walked Through Time"

And while you are at it, pick up some Ed Abbey - You cannot go wrong!!!!

Dkeener
10-18-2011, 17:01
If you enjoy Fletcher another good book is "Man From the Cave". Not much about hiking but a good read none the less.

vamelungeon
10-18-2011, 17:34
If you enjoy Fletcher another good book is "Man From the Cave". Not much about hiking but a good read none the less.

I have to agree. The book drew me in and didn't let go till the end.

Jason762
10-26-2011, 21:13
Well got the first edition 1970's "Complete Walker" today thanks to eBay.

It'll be interesting to see the differences between this edition and the newest 4th edition with Co-author Chip Rawlings. Certainly the gear is vastly different. Never heard of a Tumpline before.

Anyway, thanks to all who suggested acquiring the first edition.

P.S. What's a good source of info for the newer gear (besides backpacker)?