PDA

View Full Version : Twelve Ways To Be Banned by Wingfoot From Trailplace.com

Pages : 1 [2]

Jester2000
03-29-2005, 22:45
I know it's going to seem that I'm pretending to be ignorant in order to prove a point, but I'm not.

What exactly (and anyone can answer here for him, I guess, but I'd prefer an answer from R&R) do you consider to be Benton's vision of the trail, why is it different from everyone else's vision (by this I mean the people with whom you disagree), and why is it relevant today?

And why did he reveal it in an Architecture magazine?

I'm actually curious, as you don't seem to have articulated it or supported it in this thread. And I haven't read any of the other threads to which you've contributed.

All I know is that a few people I personally (not internetally) respect seem to be on the opposing side here. So I'd like your opinion, backed up with some sort of documentation upon which you've based your opinion.

Can do?

orangebug
03-30-2005, 00:53
Well, we finally got back to hiking humor.

neo
10-23-2006, 05:06
:D i hear he is a close friend of lone wolf and baltimore jack:cool: neo

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-23-2006, 05:28
I see we are bashing all the Dubya's again - WD, WF & GWB. All is right with the world :D

namehere
10-23-2006, 07:04
as a newbie, i've read through alot of WF's website. it contains a great deal of good info for someone like me. when i decided to get a little more active, i decided to join WB because i felt this site was a bit more open to people wanting to express their own opinions. as some others have already stated, WB seems to allow for this with little threat of being banned. i believe people can find both websites extremely useful. i chose this one because it seems to best suit me personally. this thread was an interesting read though...

Nean
10-23-2006, 08:25
Does anyone miss RnR?!:confused: :eek: :rolleyes: :o

Boat Drinks
10-23-2006, 13:41
This is a humor forum and the thread began with a joke about Wingfoot. It took a turn from humor when people began bashing people for poking fun at him.

For those who are tired of the subject, DON'T READ THREADS WITH WINGFOOT AS The SUBJECT. I get tired of reading about homemade alchol stoves, so I just skip over those threads instead of griping about "another thread on the subject". Some of us haven't been around that long and Wingfoot isn't old to us, shouldn't we be allowed to discuss him without being lectured about how we are somehow mentally deficient because we do? Someone mentioned we should "get a life". The same could be said to anyone who supposedly finds the subject tiresome but feels compelled to spend time reading and discussing it anyway.

I have been reading these 2 forums, WB and TP for a couple months now. I could tell immediately that there was something different between the sites. Then I started to post on TP and found out just what that was. I won't post there anymore. I like it here better! The people, information, the opinions and the HUMOR!:D

saimyoji
10-23-2006, 15:05
Been banned four times now. :D

SGT Rock
10-23-2006, 15:08
Then why keep going back?

Just from my perspective as a form admin, people sneaking back in after you ban them can be a pain in the ass.

sherrill
10-23-2006, 15:30
Seems that WF brings out that kind of reaction.

I've been there but never was interested in joining, I've got this place which is much better, <insert appropriate internet shorthand here>

Gray Blazer
10-24-2006, 14:24
Who is wingfoot?:D

Gaiter
10-24-2006, 16:18
Who is wingfoot?:D

Dan 'wingfoot' Bruce author of 'the thru-hikers handbook'
some common nicknames include 'wingnut' & 'wingd*%k'
he also has the trailplace website and the center for at studies.

he is controverisal, he has done alot for the trail, and well know for his book but some people obviously don't agree with the way he does things.

Jack Tarlin
10-24-2006, 16:21
Ummmm, note to ThickRed:

Thanx for the info, but I kinda think Grey Blazer's question was posted in jest.

Gaiter
10-24-2006, 16:24
yeah i realized that after, didn't notice the smilie at first

TOW
10-25-2006, 08:54
We have to have Trailplace. It gives us one thing we all agree on and bitch about.
that's good :D

mindi
10-26-2006, 22:54
It's a humor forum, I think it was meant to be funny. I found it funny, anyway.

I never really got involved with all of the Wingfoot controversy, I was a little late to the whole trail community. I went there when I first made a serious decision to do a thru and was looking at every site available. In a nutshell, I didn't like what was going on there, so I just stopped going there. Then hallelujah, I found WhiteBlaze.

Now let's get back to some funny stuff, shall we?

:) Mindi

saimyoji
10-26-2006, 23:09
Then why keep going back?

Just from my perspective as a form admin, people sneaking back in after you ban them can be a pain in the ass.

Ummmm, note to ThickRed:

Thanx for the info, but I kinda think Grey Blazer's question was posted in jest.

It's a humor forum, I think it was meant to be funny. I found it funny, anyway.

:) Mindi

Yeah, seems like there are way too many serious threads lately. We need a little more :bananaand:jumpand a little less :(

HapKiDo
11-15-2006, 21:48
I recently got kicked off TP (and I've been into backpacking since 1970) because someone else on TP slammed (or maybe slimed) one of my posts and accused me of things that were not even mentioned in that original post.

The next time I go to sign in . . . I find out I'm banned. Didn't get an email from Dan asking for my comments to the derogatory post made against me.

So, I emailed asking why. No response, so I emailed again. The WebAdministrator emailed to tell me that Dan was taking care of his parents who were both in the hospital at that time. I've never heard another word.

So, I joined using a different email and a different user name. But you can bet the bank that I won't post anything there. ;)

On many AT issues, I've come to realize in my old age, Dan Bruce really IS correct. And I will be using his book when I Thru Hike next year.

I feel sorry for Dan Bruce. He knows a lot about Thru Hiking and the AT. His website has a lot of good information (that he's written) about the AT. I think he's probably a very lonely guy who now has the added responsibility of being caretaker of his parents.

He may be a bit eccentric, but then, who isn't? One of the first requirements for backpackers is to be eccentric. Without eccentricity, how do you explain someone actually looking forward to hiking in the rain, the heat, the snow, the dreary days, the never-ending 'nearly there' summits, the long green tunnel for five or six (or more) months, carrying everything he/she needs on his/her back?

So, if your parents are around and in good health, say a prayer for Dan and say another prayer that you never have to be caretaker of aging parents. Oh, and have plenty of children so that they can shuffle you around from child to child and no one child has to take care of you full time when you get old.

Or you can join me in the old-age-home -- I'll be the one who always calls for Pizza Delivery every Friday night and charges it to . . . Baltimore Jack or Sgt Rock or Teej or . . . :D . . . maybe YOU!

Nean
11-15-2006, 22:11
[quote=HapKiDo;272105]I recently got kicked off TP (and I've been into backpacking since 1970) because someone else on TP slammed (or maybe slimed) one of my posts and accused me of things that were not even mentioned in that original post.

The next time I go to sign in . . . I find out I'm banned. Didn't get an email from Dan asking for my comments to the derogatory post made against me.

So, I emailed asking why. No response, so I emailed again.

[quote]

Sounds like a top notch kinda guy. Whats the problem?

SGT Rock
11-20-2006, 15:53
Take a look at the new companion format. I really like it.

twosticks
11-20-2006, 17:08
Dan 'wingfoot' Bruce author of 'the thru-hikers handbook'
some common nicknames include 'wingnut' & 'wingd*%k'
he also has the trailplace website and the center for at studies.

he is controverisal, he has done alot for the trail, and well know for his book but some people obviously don't agree with the way he does things.

Never trust a man with two first names. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

saimyoji
08-01-2008, 22:09
ahhhh, yes. one of my favorite threads.

reasons i got banned: sex, beer and rock n roll.

rafe
08-01-2008, 23:26
mention A L D H A

Tin Man
08-01-2008, 23:29
ahhhh, yes. one of my favorite threads.

reasons i got banned: sex, beer and rock n roll.

I don't recall whether I was banned or simply quit there a few years ago, but I was just banned yesterday. :banana

saimyoji
08-01-2008, 23:33
mention A L D H A

Androgynous Liberal Disingenuous Homo A-holes??

Bearpaw
08-02-2008, 01:05
ALDHA - A little doggone hiking's awesome...