PDA

View Full Version : hikerboys cyber cafe

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196

HikerMom58
10-31-2012, 12:06
Nearly 6500 posts and 145000 views in his cafe suggests that HB is popular with a few of us HM.:D

Absolutely OzJacko! Happy Halloween- btw... do you celebrate down under?

HB.. keep those updates coming. We are wanting to know how you and the fam are making it.

Also, KK... sorry to read about ur friends loss.

Gotta get off of here.........Hugs to you all. :)

hikerboy57
10-31-2012, 18:30
got back to my house today, not as bad as i feared. we've got flood damage , no heat,no electricity, hot water or cell service, but my stuff is safe. thre are boats all over the place where boats shouldnt be, some trees down, but well recover.
long beach on the other hand is a disaster area. many streets are impassable, with a foot of sand preetty common. the boardwalk is completely compromised, the dunes need to be rebuilt, but theres still no running water they transported in port a potties for residents , theyve restored some cell service, got up some temporary cell towers and sigbnal boosters. but its going to take a long time to recover. icve gotten text after text today with the same message"its all gone".
my kids are okay, have hot water,gas plenty of food and blankets. they were traspped in the attic when the surge came, prayed the water wouldnt come up any higher, when it subsided they waded across to their neighbors who have a 2 story home, stayed with them until they were able to get out.
thank god . everyones safe. a lot of people lost everything in the storm. but well come back stronger.
its all good.

Wise Old Owl
10-31-2012, 18:33
trapped in the attic... wow ...

HikerMom58
10-31-2012, 20:11
trapped in the attic... wow ...

*YIKES* That was not a good time at all.. :(

HB- Today sounds like a better day for you. :) Good that you were able to see that your stuff is OK.. yay! It's far from being back to normal but lots to be thankful for.. happy for you!!

Many Moons
10-31-2012, 21:08
got back to my house today, not as bad as i feared. we've got flood damage , no heat,no electricity, hot water or cell service, but my stuff is safe. thre are boats all over the place where boats shouldnt be, some trees down, but well recover.
long beach on the other hand is a disaster area. many streets are impassable, with a foot of sand preetty common. the boardwalk is completely compromised, the dunes need to be rebuilt, but theres still no running water they transported in port a potties for residents , theyve restored some cell service, got up some temporary cell towers and sigbnal boosters. but its going to take a long time to recover. icve gotten text after text today with the same message"its all gone".
my kids are okay, have hot water,gas plenty of food and blankets. they were traspped in the attic when the surge came, prayed the water wouldnt come up any higher, when it subsided they waded across to their neighbors who have a 2 story home, stayed with them until they were able to get out.
thank god . everyones safe. a lot of people lost everything in the storm. but well come back stronger.
its all good.

Good Luck! It does take a while and hope you have good INS. We have had our house hit by a tornado twice and damage twice by hurricane winds. x4 trees on home and property damage. This is in middle of NC. Hang in there and 6 months later hopefully it will just be a memory! Hike On!!!

Miller

hikerboy57
10-31-2012, 21:15
Good Luck! It does take a while and hope you have good INS. We have had our house hit by a tornado twice and damage twice by hurricane winds. x4 trees on home and property damage. This is in middle of NC. Hang in there and 6 months later hopefully it will just be a memory! Hike On!!!

Miller
thanks many moons and welcome to the cafe.its kind of a hostel for hikers when we cant be on the trail, you can talk about anything you want.the general forum rules apply, no politics,no personal attacks, outside of that anything goes. trip reports,, storm reports, or just good ol bs.
we're big on instant mashed potatoes and sea salt, weve determined 5 is the correct # of bullets to bring on a thru hike(dont need a gun, we determined that too, but if you're going to bring bullets, youll need 5)we've got hammocks out back, the worlds smallest large screen tv and a horizontal climbing wall.
welcome and have some fun.
its all good.

Many Moons
10-31-2012, 21:19
thanks many moons and welcome to the cafe.its kind of a hostel for hikers when we cant be on the trail, you can talk about anything you want.the general forum rules apply, no politics,no personal attacks, outside of that anything goes. trip reports,, storm reports, or just good ol bs.
we're big on instant mashed potatoes and sea salt, weve determined 5 is the correct # of bullets to bring on a thru hike(dont need a gun, we determined that too, but if you're going to bring bullets, youll need 5)we've got hammocks out back, the worlds smallest large screen tv and a horizontal climbing wall.
welcome and have some fun.
its all good.

Sounds like my part time job with Parks and Rec!!! We have a climbing wall and small tv with lot of screaming kids. Good thing is they bring their moms! Hike On!!!

Miller

Many Moons
10-31-2012, 21:37
ILMT. I Like My Tent. For all the shelter haters out there. Thought I would start a new term for WB!! Hike On!!!

Miller

Many Moons
10-31-2012, 21:39
ILMT. I Like My Tent. For all the shelter haters out there. Thought I would start a new term for WB!! Hike On!!!

Miller

Come on Lone Wolf, u gota like that. Want to get a positive comment from LW? Has it been done before? Hike On!!!

Miller

Mountain Mike
10-31-2012, 21:40

Miller

I like that. Instead of a swear/curse just "Hike ON"!

hikerboy57
10-31-2012, 21:40

Miller
i like shelters, just not for sleeping. i will make exceptions when its raining and looks like itll keep raining(unless the shelter is alreay filled).one of the benefits of tenting at sites that have shelters is ive never had issues with critters and i sleep with my food.i think theyre drawn to the shelters out of habit and thats where most of the cooking smells come from.

Many Moons
10-31-2012, 21:50
i like shelters, just not for sleeping. i will make exceptions when its raining and looks like itll keep raining(unless the shelter is alreay filled).one of the benefits of tenting at sites that have shelters is ive never had issues with critters and i sleep with my food.i think theyre drawn to the shelters out of habit and thats where most of the cooking smells come from.
Yea I stayed in one this year on my first hike, one night. Took a short mileage day and it was Standing Indian Area. Had a whole day and night to self and was in April during thru season. Guess I caught it between other high mileage days. Found the tent was best place to get a little freedom on busy shelter nights. Next year picking up at Winding Stair to Hot Springs I will need to stay in shelters by the rules in Smokies. IWMYT. I will miss my tent! Hike On!!!

Miller

Many Moons
10-31-2012, 21:52
I like that. Instead of a swear/curse just "Hike ON"!

I used the term with the younger thru's I met last year when they were burning up the trail as they passed. Hike On!!!

Miller

hikerboy57
10-31-2012, 22:51
aftermath of hurricane sandy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtCKv1Kr9JY&feature=player_embedded

turtle fast
10-31-2012, 23:19
Lets remember the amazing acrobatics of shelter mice. Hey lets have a shelter mouse circus....who has a flaming hoop for a mouse to jump through....and steal some food.

Mountain Mike
10-31-2012, 23:36
Around here we don't think it as them stealing food. More like fattening them up for mice kabobs. Involves a flame & skewer& Cheese.

OzJacko
11-01-2012, 04:59
Come on Lone Wolf, u gota like that. Want to get a positive comment from LW? Has it been done before? Hike On!!!

Miller
LW won't admit to coming in here more than once or twice so may not answer.:p

OzJacko
11-01-2012, 05:06
Hope at least some of you guys had a happy Halloween.
Been taking lessons on carving pumpkins.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mThUfYcea3I

And I wonder why my wife is nervous about me going for a hike in the woods.....:)

OzJacko
11-01-2012, 05:28
I don't get the whole pumpkin thing actually except that I agree with carving them instead of eating them.

Found a snap of the birth of the Great Pumpkin from Peanuts!

http://dailypicksandflicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/picdump-626-8.jpg

Train Wreck
11-01-2012, 09:16
I don't get the whole pumpkin thing actually except that I agree with carving them instead of eating them.

Found a snap of the birth of the Great Pumpkin from Peanuts!

http://dailypicksandflicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/picdump-626-8.jpg

That's just wrong!!

Water Rat
11-01-2012, 10:06
That is hilarious! Best laugh all week! :)

Just checking in on WB. It's been a long week. Thoughts are with everyone effected by the storm.

Wise Old Owl
11-01-2012, 10:11
Hike Your Own Hammock...anyone got a little Valium?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SuEeN_OutM4.... I am a little Jacked right now......

turtle fast
11-01-2012, 12:11
Why...just plain why????!!!! A doctor with too much time on his hands with a fist full of opiates.

Sarcasm the elf
11-01-2012, 18:00
Hi all,I'm back at my office's recovery site. We lucked out big time. My house only sustained very minor damage and the storm surge never made it over the dam and into the river as they had forecast. My house is in the dark and probably won't have power resorted for a week. Not really a big deal though, i'm going home to fire up the wood stove and take a nap. From the looks of it I will have a lot of posts in the Cafe to read through once I'm back online. Take care all!

Wise Old Owl
11-01-2012, 18:25
wow slow night .... don't let your wabbit go down the hole....

hikerboy57
11-01-2012, 18:39
wow slow night .... don't let your wabbit go down the hole....
sorry i was busy with the amc thread. boy that was fun.took my mind away from the misery.got text after text dfrom friends with n good news other than theyre all alive. still waiting to hear from others.my daughters and their family are all okay for now. in addition to no electricity we're running out of gasoline on the island quickly.the stations that have gas let have no way to pump, and the few that have electricity are almost out. on e station owner is donating his remaining gas to emergency vehicles, fire engines, etc only, says he only has 1000 gallons left and probably wont see a delivery earlier than sometime next week.
its bad, but we're coming to terms with what needs to be done, and we'll begin the rebuilding process.
i made a reference to the elf on the amc post.kind of a great way to close a thread.

Many Moons
11-01-2012, 18:44
Hike Your Own Hammock...anyone got a little Valium?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SuEeN_OutM4.... I am a little Jacked right now......

Wow! Now that is a mouthfull. Now I will think of the bones different when I see them for owls and hawks. Guess its hard to rip up your food when all u got is wings. Glad we don't have to eat our "wrabbits" like that! Hike On!!!

Miller

Many Moons
11-01-2012, 18:48
a meeting place,a free for all forum where you can say whatevers on your mind.a place to come, share a campfire story, discuss post/miles ratios, snark about rude answers, post whatevers on your mind, maybe share a cup of via, with water from a SAWYER IN LINE WATER FILTER!
and you dont even have to knock.
and theres hammocks, we use sea salt, and have ample supply of bullets.
come. sit. tell us all about it.

Do you have the record for this post with most views and replys? Hike On!!!

Miller

Wise Old Owl
11-01-2012, 18:58
HB as a group we saw people standing in line in NJ (having left NY) and 50 thick for 1 gallon of gas tonight on NBC

hikerboy57
11-01-2012, 19:15
HB as a group we saw people standing in line in NJ (having left NY) and 50 thick for 1 gallon of gas tonight on NBC
its crazy. parts of nj are worse off than we are, sent apm to KK offering whatever help i can. spoke to my daughter, they've met so many people today that are now homeless, they donated what they could to help out.im so lucky for them to survive, we're now learning they are just beginning to search house to house.
unfortunately the death toll will rise, probably dramatically. 20000 of long beach's 35000 residents chose to stay. and the reports from othr parts of the south shore are just as bad.
but we come together in times like this, democrats republicans, black , white whatever we do what we xcan for each other and we become stronger for it.the phoenix weill rise, well rebuild, and it will all be good.i sent out an email to all our customers today reminding them to use OnStar crisis assist to help in finding gas stations, motels, car rentals, and a facebook page by news12LI to post gas stations that have gas .
when i went back to island park yesterday i met my neighbor across the street for the very first time who lost everything in the flood.
i held him until he couldnt cry anymore.
we do what we can.

hikerboy57
11-01-2012, 19:18

Miller
im not sure but im certain we hold the record for thread drift.

Wise Old Owl
11-01-2012, 19:24
The worst - is about to come... tempers are already flaring... Where is the the help? etc. There isn't for those that stayed the help is there for the ones that left. Its an information bubble ... ya need to get out. grab the family and get the bugged out pack.

hikerboy57
11-01-2012, 19:25
just took a call from a customer who is running out of gas, she asked if i would bring her some gas. she actually wanted me to drive my car to find a station that hass gas and then bring it to her! i told her under the circumstances that her request wasnt reasonable.there is no gas to be found.amazing.some out there are just clueless.
and we think thru hikers have entitlement issues?

OzJacko
11-01-2012, 19:29
im not sure but im certain we hold the record for thread drift.
You can't drift a thread that's subject includes thread drift.
Good to hear the Elf is OK.
HB the press here is saying many NYers are walking to work anyway as subways and roads etc are still badly affected.
Maybe a hiker recruitment opportunity when thngs perk up..."didn't you feel better walking? - Try it with a pack!"

hikerboy57
11-01-2012, 19:30
The worst - is about to come... tempers are already flaring... Where is the the help? etc. There isn't for those that stayed the help is there for the ones that left. Its an information bubble ... ya need to get out. grab the family and get the bugged out pack.
familys okay, just inconvenienced for the time being, theyre a lot better off than many. im okay where i am , several of my coworkers offerd to put me up , but im hoping we'll get power restored soon, and im warm here with electricityheat tv internet cable satelllite radio, even a shower.
but you're right, theres already a lot of looting going on, people are stealing each others generators and im afraid things will start to get real ugly very quickly as desparation sets in .just found out my atm card is useless right now, im glad i took out cash before the storm.

Mountain Mike
11-01-2012, 19:35
Wow when people can't get to their money things will really get bad. Keep you 5 bullets handy & you may want to think about getting more. I'll loan you mine they are in a box on a shelf over the smallest large screen tv. At least you have Pepe to defend you.

hikerboy57
11-01-2012, 19:36
You can't drift a thread that's subject includes thread drift.
Good to hear the Elf is OK.
HB the press here is saying many NYers are walking to work anyway as subways and roads etc are still badly affected.
Maybe a hiker recruitment opportunity when thngs perk up..."didn't you feel better walking? - Try it with a pack!"
subways are starting some limited service as well as the long island rr and metro north, there are HOV restrictions on every route into NYC and fares on the buses and subways have been waived for the time being. we're stating to assess what needs to be doen so that when the wrok begins we can make steady progress. the enormity of the destruction is really unfathomable.
My hats off to governors christie and cuomo , mayor bloomberg and president obama for trying to get a handle on the work ahead of us.its easy to look for a scapegoat in all this, they should respond faster, etc. but there is so much infrastructure that is just gone right now, it takes a few days just to decide who what how and in what order it should proceed. theyve doen a good job in getting food water , portable toilets and generators to long beach and other area sthat were hard hit. LIPA and ConEd had monumental tasks of just assessing damages before they could begin to work.

hikerboy57
11-01-2012, 19:53
Wow when people can't get to their money things will really get bad. Keep you 5 bullets handy & you may want to think about getting more. I'll loan you mine they are in a box on a shelf over the smallest large screen tv. At least you have Pepe to defend you.

mike,i only need bullets to throw at ticks.i grew up a skinny scrappy fighter, ive grown up to be a pacifist.the best way to deal with desparation sometimes is just to offer your hand in friendship. most will respond positively. with the rest ill take my chances, but i wont contribute to the violence.
but we do need help soon. we need to get food clothing and water to those whove been displaced. concert tomorrow night on TV to raise money, springsteen, billy joel, christina aguilera and others . itll be televised around the world at 8pm EDT.
please give what you can.
please dont let this become another katrina.

hikerboy57
11-01-2012, 19:54
and here i was thinking the amc thread was all talked out.:)

S'more
11-01-2012, 20:13
SO.... No rabbits, no holes. Who shall it be now?

hikerboy57
11-01-2012, 20:30
aaah hates rabbits

moytoy
11-01-2012, 21:54

Miller
This is the thread with the most of the mostes....http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?34922-No-Such-A-Thing-As-a-Warraghiyagey

Mountain Mike
11-01-2012, 22:02
761 posts the Cafe is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnFMQ2NAgyk

moytoy
11-01-2012, 22:12
He needs to go on tour....showman for sure!

hikerboy57
11-01-2012, 22:14

actually jon bon jovi will be at the concert tomorrow night.another jersey boy.

moytoy
11-02-2012, 06:25
This is the thread with the most of the mostes....http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?34922-No-Such-A-Thing-As-a-Warraghiyagey
Speaking of records, it has been over 8 hours since a new post on this thread. Wups....

OzJacko
11-02-2012, 06:29
Speaking of records, it has been over 8 hours since a new post on this thread. Wups....
Blame my change of shift time.
After 14 weeks of starting around 5 am I am on 8 starts.
I now leave and get home with my wife.
No more 2-3 hour stints alone where she doesn't notice I'm on the computer.:(

OzJacko
11-02-2012, 06:31
Why hammock hangers should think twice about hiking with a dog........

http://dailypicksandflicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/picdump-610-11.jpg

moytoy
11-02-2012, 06:31
Blame my change of shift time.
After 14 weeks of starting around 5 am I am on 8 starts.
I now leave and get home with my wife.
No more 2-3 hour stints alone where she doesn't notice I'm on the computer.:(
LOL.....I was wondering where you be. I had got used to seeing your post early in the morning here.

OzJacko
11-02-2012, 06:42
Keen on seeing a porcupine next year.
Not as closely as this dog though....

http://franksemails.com/pics/dog-vs-porcupine/incaquills.jpg

OzJacko
11-02-2012, 06:46
And one more before I feed the dog.....

Found a new fridge for cafe. It will have to stay out the back though. At least this should compensate the hammock hangers for not having their dogs for company.

http://franksemails.com/pics/misc-pics-17-7-06/ATT358839.jpg

Gray Blazer
11-02-2012, 07:57
Epic, epic fail!! Well if you can read all that you will see that it is Daniel Boone's birthday. Remember the Ala mode!

Gray Blazer
11-02-2012, 07:58
Talk about getting out of my own way.:o

OzJacko
11-02-2012, 08:12
And here is me thinking that the guys who cracked the Nazi cypher codes in WWII all had a birthday today!!

hikerboy57
11-02-2012, 08:24
gray blazer.do you think you can edit that mess/

OzJacko
11-02-2012, 08:29
Think of it as a climbing wall for your mouse finger.....:)

coach lou
11-02-2012, 08:34
Think of it as a climbing wall for your mouse finger.....:)

Man, I just got a blister on my finger trying to read that!

HikerMom58
11-02-2012, 08:38
Good grief... I almost gave up. Hey coach... how are u? How's hockey?

coach lou
11-02-2012, 08:47
The season is well underway. Last week i had 2 games, on my way home from my walk over Mt. greylock, and bike ride back to my car! & then our power went out, but we got it back last nite. This weekend I took no games so I can go hiking, but that is now cut short because of all the ruckess. 'Overload' and I may overnite on a short walk Saturday, if New England clears out!!!

HikerMom58
11-02-2012, 08:53
Ok... glad you are doing well, then. Wow, power outages suck. I love that hike over Mt. Greylock!! Good to hear from you. :)

Gray Blazer
11-02-2012, 09:33

Maybe Alligator can delete it. My contribution to WB was not in the form of money.

Look at it this way, I just made the thread a lot longer.

It's Sandy's fault. :mad:

Gray Blazer
11-02-2012, 09:36
Is that your pic of Big Foot?

When I saw the BF footprints, I was too scared to take the camera out of my front pocket and snap some pics. I'm still kicking myself in the butt cuz they were the best prints I've ever seen from any BFRO report. A bunch of them in sand/red clay mix on a jeep road for about 20 yards.

Gray Blazer
11-02-2012, 09:59
And here is me thinking that the guys who cracked the Nazi cypher codes in WWII all had a birthday today!!

Daniel Boone killed Hitler on the Liberty Tree.

I have a pic but I dare not post it.

Gray Blazer
11-02-2012, 10:07
BTW, Hikerboy, your drunk story made me laugh and laugh.

I can't recall any of my drunk stories.

Rasty
11-02-2012, 10:55
Epic, epic fail!! Well if you can read all that you will see that it is Daniel Boone's birthday. Remember the Ala mode!

Gray Blazer - I think you need to donate $10 just to cover the space on the server you just used.:p

Wise Old Owl
11-02-2012, 10:58
He cant delete it.... oh my......

Gray Blazer
11-02-2012, 11:41
Gray Blazer - I think you need to donate $10 just to cover the space on the server you just used.:p

I'm feeling very anal expulsive today.

Creek Dancer
11-02-2012, 13:42
Ok, whoever hosed the thread gets to sweep up the place at closing. The broom is in closet, next to the privy.

Train Wreck
11-02-2012, 14:54
Hoping a hungry alligator comes along to eat this huge pot of alphabet soup!

HikerMom58
11-02-2012, 14:57
Yup....just keep posting ....

Creek Dancer
11-02-2012, 16:26
I think someone needs to put Gray Blazer in time out. He keeps messing up the threads and it's making me nauseated.

hikerboy57
11-02-2012, 17:33
I still don't get it.one more jerk to add to the ignore list.
you are a dick.

Wise Old Owl
11-02-2012, 18:28
well that was fun,,,,, don't hold back now....치즈

Korean for cheese ass... wait the translation is a little off.... it's "got goat?"

Ummm I apologise Wm for the above statement ... it was socially unacceptable and un called for... allow me to be humble ..... in your loss for words...

OzJacko
11-02-2012, 18:49
Hey WOO!
Who's your friend??:D

http://franksemails.com/pics/motivational-posters3/image001.gif
and no, that's not a dig at anyone in the cafe....

hikerboy57
11-02-2012, 18:54
i like this ignore button, i dodnt have to scroll through a half mile of datadump!
and he rarely adds anything positive to contribute anyway!

Wise Old Owl
11-02-2012, 18:57
Oz i thought that was you on the right! Seriously .. ya got to stop teasing... we have a 12 step program here for that... we force people that cannot excel to hike all of the trail! Its a right of passage here on the cyber cafe!:eek:

OzJacko
11-02-2012, 18:59
Oz i thought that was you on the right! Seriously .. ya got to stop teasing... we have a 12 step program here for that... we force people that cannot excel to hike all of the trail! Its a right of passage here on the cyber cafe!:eek:
Sounds a little more than 12 steps....
5 million isn't it?
By the time I get to 2180 posts I should have 5 million keystrokes.....:D

OzJacko
11-02-2012, 19:02
I think HB is showing the strain a bit.:(
Understandable.
Sending an eCard can be so much nicer.....
http://dailypicksandflicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/picdump-614-7.jpg

Wise Old Owl
11-02-2012, 19:02
Hey this is so bad tonight ..Oz I am questioning whether to stick it out in my job.

OzJacko
11-02-2012, 19:05
Hey this is so bad tonight ..Oz I am questioning whether to stick it out in my job.
I have a great motivator to stay in my job.
I'll make her breakfast soon.

What job do you do?
I only know where you got rejected...

http://dailypicksandflicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/picdump-614-3.jpg

Wise Old Owl
11-02-2012, 19:22
Nope.....................You don't have the claws for it.

hikerboy57
11-02-2012, 19:29
I think HB is showing the strain a bit.:(
Understandable.
Sending an eCard can be so much nicer.....
http://dailypicksandflicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/picdump-614-7.jpg
its amazing though, one well placed ignore and the cafe was swept clean!
once we've gotten to the next page, i can always take him off again. and i doubt im missing much in the interim, just a lot of cranky.

OzJacko
11-02-2012, 19:33
its amazing though, one well placed ignore and the cafe was swept clean!
once we've gotten to the next page, i can always take him off again. and i doubt im missing much in the interim, just a lot of cranky.

No worries HB, just concerned at your "thread drift".

Remember everybody....

http://franksemails.com/pics/motivational-posters3/image002.gif
:D

OzJacko
11-02-2012, 19:38
I think Halloween was a bit rotten this year.....

http://dailypicksandflicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/picdump-626-7.jpg

hikerboy57
11-02-2012, 19:55
Turn on the tv

OzJacko
11-02-2012, 19:59
Turn on the tv
:( I have different channels...

Gray Blazer
11-02-2012, 20:41
Sorry about the mess today. My computer at work was not letting me copy and paste pics. I even tried to copy and paste a pic from my gallery on WB to the snow thread and it did the same thing. Don't know why winged monkey had to mess with me. I won't paste any pics for a while. Peace out.

BTW Creek Dancer, I couldn't find the mop.

hikerboy57
11-02-2012, 20:47
Sorry about the mess today. My computer at work was not letting me copy and paste pics. I even tried to copy and paste a pic from my gallery on WB to the snow thread and it did the same thing. Don't know why winged monkey had to mess with me. I won't paste any pics for a while. Peace out.

please tune your tv to nbc or usa

Train Wreck
11-02-2012, 20:58
It's coming on MSNBC at 11 pm here, I'll watch :)

HikerMom58
11-02-2012, 21:03

............:sun

Rasty
11-02-2012, 21:06
Turn on the tv

What's on TV?

Train Wreck
11-02-2012, 21:11
What's on TV?

The Boss! Bon Jovi! and more. It's a benefit concert for Hurricane Sandy victims. You should have the same network channels as me.

Train Wreck
11-02-2012, 21:15
Hey Oz,
It's 9:20 am, does your wife know you're goofing off on the computer again? :D17954

hikerboy57
11-02-2012, 21:17
i went to see my kids for the first time since sandy. theyre all okay and theyve got gas and water, plenty of clothing,food.taking hot showers at friends who have hot water.went through long beach to see some friends and its just horrible, you just want to cry. sand and pieces of the boardwalk are all over town, houses are burned out shells,flooded out with sand as well as water many cars exploded adn are burned out. too, everones starting to clean up and one house after another theyve got their lives their on the sidewalk, everything gone.
on a positive note there was a non stop paradde of convoys thru the afternoonbringing generators, treetrimmers, utility trucks, dozens of waste carriers to get all the trash out. national guard and salvation army were distributing food and water, people are coming to the center of town to barter donate what they can to help each other, yeah the same people that lost almost all they have are giving what little they can to help each other.and the spirit of long beach is undeniable. a lot of people saw their lives on the brink that night and they survived. 6 houses in a row burned down just one block away from the attic my kids and their families hid in until they were able to get out. i am so thankful they are alive.
the tone is somber, but the attitude is strong, remarkably strong, and we'll all be changed forever because of it.
my hats off again to all the people in all levels of government in seeing agency afte agency work together to get some relief out there, but its niot fast enough, and people still are getting desparate. we've got a nor'easter headed our way com tues/wed and many right now are homeless.
i apologize for all my personal crap coming out here, but i just see jersey and staten island in even worse shape than us, and its heartbreaking.
its a pretty good concert too, steve tyler, jimmy fallon billy joel bruce bon jovi mary jo blige aguilera sting. good stuff.
www.redcross.com (http://www.redcross.com)

OzJacko
11-02-2012, 21:40
Hey Oz,
It's 9:20 am, does your wife know you're goofing off on the computer again? :D17954
Yes and no..
I goof off now and then...
Spending an hour or two doing things around the house and then have a break and/or coffee on the computer for a few minutes.
Major job of the day - remove a banana palm breaking the back fence...:o

Mountain Mike
11-02-2012, 21:42
Any word on when you can get back into your apt HB? My prayers go out to you & your family.

OzJacko
11-02-2012, 21:43
i went to see my kids for the first time since sandy. theyre all okay and theyve got gas and water, plenty of clothing,food.taking hot showers at friends who have hot water.went through long beach to see some friends and its just horrible, you just want to cry. sand and pieces of the boardwalk are all over town, houses are burned out shells,flooded out with sand as well as water many cars exploded adn are burned out. too, everones starting to clean up and one house after another theyve got their lives their on the sidewalk, everything gone.
on a positive note there was a non stop paradde of convoys thru the afternoonbringing generators, treetrimmers, utility trucks, dozens of waste carriers to get all the trash out. national guard and salvation army were distributing food and water, people are coming to the center of town to barter donate what they can to help each other, yeah the same people that lost almost all they have are giving what little they can to help each other.and the spirit of long beach is undeniable. a lot of people saw their lives on the brink that night and they survived. 6 houses in a row burned down just one block away from the attic my kids and their families hid in until they were able to get out. i am so thankful they are alive.
the tone is somber, but the attitude is strong, remarkably strong, and we'll all be changed forever because of it.
my hats off again to all the people in all levels of government in seeing agency afte agency work together to get some relief out there, but its niot fast enough, and people still are getting desparate. we've got a nor'easter headed our way com tues/wed and many right now are homeless.
i apologize for all my personal crap coming out here, but i just see jersey and staten island in even worse shape than us, and its heartbreaking.
its a pretty good concert too, steve tyler, jimmy fallon billy joel bruce bon jovi mary jo blige aguilera sting. good stuff.
News here is suggesting Staten Island residents not happy as they feel not getting as much help as other areas. Suggestions that lower socio-economic area issues may be responsible...
Not sure how you say who is getting more help in the first week after disasters as I doubt anything is a priority for first couple of days beyond search, rescue, "recovery" and ensuring clean water available.

hikerboy57
11-02-2012, 22:31
News here is suggesting Staten Island residents not happy as they feel not getting as much help as other areas. Suggestions that lower socio-economic area issues may be responsible...
Not sure how you say who is getting more help in the first week after disasters as I doubt anything is a priority for first couple of days beyond search, rescue, "recovery" and ensuring clean water available.

oz they are prioritizing lo income areas first, this i know for fact, its actually the more affluent areas theyve been slower to get to. the help isnt coming fast enough, because ts getting cold quick down to the 30s tonight. although the town of island park where i now live(well at least for 3 weeks anyway)and adjacent oceanside seem like the forgotton step children.no fema no cuomo no utilities until today keyspan our gas co finally showed up with some trucks just to assess the damage. staten island is not getting help fast enough,nor are many other areas, particularly in nj. the enormity of the storm has affected 50 million people. 50 million.the challenges are huge, they are still finding bodies in far rockaway, long beach, staten island and nj, ther is serious looting going on in far rock , some telling me they hear gunfire at night, something w're not familiar with very often.food water toilets clothing gas and cash.no electricity, no atms working. all in scarce supply, people are stealing air conditioners, yeah air cinditioners to salvvage the parts and sell them forcash .its bad, but it s getting better.
slowly too slowly.but i do believe theyre deploying resources the best they can.

hikerboy57
11-02-2012, 22:56
Any word on when you can get back into your apt HB? My prayers go out to you & your family.

i can go back now if i want to, but i have no heat electric, gas or hot water yetno way to communicate. they brought in cell signal boosters to long beach but not just across the bridge to us. water and gas should be restored in the next few days though. electricity they said could be as far away as 5 or 6 weeks in long beach maybe a week to 10 days in island park.
but for now im comfortable in my 22000 sq ft apartment(the dealership) ive got wifi cable tv, satellite radio, theres a shower here, and its really the best shelter ive ever slept in(even mice!). i need to get out of here though i already spend too much time at work.

hikerboy57
11-02-2012, 22:58
and theres vettes and camaros and silverados in my basement.:)

Train Wreck
11-02-2012, 22:59
and theres vettes and camaros and silverados in my basement.:)

would you mind doing a trail shuttle for me then? I hear there's some great hiking right now in the Smokies.

Mountain Mike
11-02-2012, 23:02
Heck I used to have a $130,000 vintage Harley in my living room.

hikerboy57
11-02-2012, 23:03
would you mind doing a trail shuttle for me then? I hear there's some great hiking right now in the Smokies.
with the 580hp camaro zl1 i can be there in 20 minutes

Train Wreck
11-02-2012, 23:04
with the 580hp camaro zl1 i can be there in 20 minutes

Does it have cup holders?:D

Mountain Mike
11-02-2012, 23:04
If you can find the gas to get out of there!

hikerboy57
11-02-2012, 23:09
Does it have cup holders?:D

27 cupholders, illuminated

hikerboy57
11-02-2012, 23:10
i just took in a tahoe on trade with 3/4 tank, i ll siphon it out

hikerboy57
11-02-2012, 23:11
top down, hold on to your hair

hikerboy57
11-02-2012, 23:12
6 speed hurst short throw

Mountain Mike
11-02-2012, 23:15
i just took in a tahoe on trade with 3/4 tank, i ll siphon it out
Does the level of the gas gauge figure in on trade in values these days? Better stick them with some water paste!

Train Wreck
11-02-2012, 23:18
27 cupholders, illuminated

Mountain Mike
11-02-2012, 23:20
Shuttle will only cost $30K plus HB time & expenses

hikerboy57
11-02-2012, 23:20
Does the level of the gas gauge figure in on trade in values these days? Better stick them with some water paste!

ill usually begin negotiating a trade by telling the customer if his trade has a full tank, its worth $100.then we go from there.( it doesnt matter if its a year old lexus, its a joke that take some of the pressure off and reduces expectations at the same time, particularly after i find out how much they think its worth, which is usually not close to real trade value.

Mountain Mike
11-02-2012, 23:24
Great starting point to break the ice!

hikerboy57
11-02-2012, 23:30
theyre not buying just a car, i have to sell them on me and my dealership. the car they can buy anywhere.if i can get them to like me, they will buy from me.and i know how to get them to like me.
i also take care of them after the sale, which is more important. gets me referrals and plenty of repeat business.

Train Wreck
11-02-2012, 23:30
ill usually begin negotiating a trade by telling the customer if his trade has a full tank, its worth $100.then we go from there.( it doesnt matter if its a year old lexus, its a joke that take some of the pressure off and reduces expectations at the same time, particularly after i find out how much they think its worth, which is usually not close to real trade value.

I have a Dixon Rollerpack, only used once. It does have a full canister of propane fuel! What's it worth? I'm so excited!!

hikerboy57
11-02-2012, 23:36
I have a Dixon Rollerpack, only used once. It does have a full canister of propane fuel! What's it worth? I'm so excited!!

$10cash or you can have whats behind the curtain where carol is now standing

hikerboy57
11-02-2012, 23:37
have to get some sleep. its been a long day. night guys.

Mountain Mike
11-02-2012, 23:45
Been in sales since 98 when I needed a job after getting off the PCT. Had a great job lined up but got in a relationship. Relationship lasted just a little longer than job offer. So I got into crazy retail world I am in now. Up untill this year I have been a vendor at bike rallies traveling the country. Set up for a weekend to a month. The one thing that was always important was how you treat a customer. A good sale brings back repeat & referrals. Treating some fair & right reaps rewards 10 fold!

Driver8
11-02-2012, 23:47
Sounds a little more than 12 steps....
5 million isn't it?
By the time I get to 2180 posts I should have 5 million keystrokes.....:D

... Or some kinda strokes. ...

Train Wreck
11-02-2012, 23:53
Been in sales since 98 when I needed a job after getting off the PCT. Had a great job lined up but got in a relationship. Relationship lasted just a little longer than job offer. So I got into crazy retail world I am in now. Up untill this year I have been a vendor at bike rallies traveling the country. Set up for a weekend to a month. The one thing that was always important was how you treat a customer. A good sale brings back repeat & referrals. Treating some fair & right reaps rewards 10 fold!

The good sales people are really, really good and customers can’t help but appreciate and respond to it. But some of the others…My husband has been in the auto business forever and he has some of the funniest stories about wanna-be sales guys that just couldn’t cut it. I think my favorite one was about this young guy who liked to party way too much on the weekends. He shows up extremely hung-over one Monday and he’s hiding out in the back, feeling like crap, and the boss tells him to go out and help some woman in the lot. So he goes up to her and starts explaining the features of the car. Suddenly he stops abruptly, says “Excuse me,” and vomits profusely all over the pavement, right in front of her. Then he just calmly wipes his mouth, and picks back up with his sales spiel, “…and it comes with cupholders!” or whatever.
I don’t think he sold the car…

Mountain Mike
11-03-2012, 00:05
We had a term for that on the road ADF= Ain't Drinking Fun! One day here in Sturgis my buddy was hung over bad. Boss came in &said "Morning Sunsine! a litle ADF'd & he just groaned from the coat rack he was leaning into. A perky customer said You are alive & in Sturgis what could be better. Rick lifted his head & said "Some days death is a better option!" then sunk his head back down on the rack!

Train Wreck
11-03-2012, 00:14
We had a term for that on the road ADF= Ain't Drinking Fun! One day here in Sturgis my buddy was hung over bad. Boss came in &said "Morning Sunsine! a litle ADF'd & he just groaned from the coat rack he was leaning into. A perky customer said You are alive & in Sturgis what could be better. Rick lifted his head & said "Some days death is a better option!" then sunk his head back down on the rack!

That was probably the longest day of his life...until the next time.

Train Wreck
11-03-2012, 00:17
The other story I remember was the one where a salesman got into a loud dispute with a potential customer right inside the dealership on the sales floor. Nobody knew what the argument was about, but whatever was said, things got ugly real fast, and the salesman jumped on the customer and started beating the living *** of him.

He didn't sell a car either. He did get fired. The customer was ordered to leave.

Mountain Mike
11-03-2012, 00:25
I had on co-worker going through a break up & got S*** Faced on the job. I had to jump over the counter to stop a potential fight while others shut the tent down for the night. On the other hand I did shows where past customers would bring me home made cookies, wine & fresh fruit from their farms.

Train Wreck
11-03-2012, 00:33
I had on co-worker going through a break up & got S*** Faced on the job. I had to jump over the counter to stop a potential fight while others shut the tent down for the night. On the other hand I did shows where past customers would bring me home made cookies, wine & fresh fruit from their farms.

Can't beat that for showing your appreciation!
No one ever brings any tribute like that to the cafeteria, it's just mashed potatoes day in and day out. Time for a change. I think I'm going to put grits in the mashed potato machine while Rasty is sleeping :p

Mountain Mike
11-03-2012, 00:39
Can we get cheesy ones?

Rasty
11-03-2012, 00:44

Can't beat that for showing your appreciation!
No one ever brings any tribute like that to the cafeteria, it's just mashed potatoes day in and day out. Time for a change. I think I'm going to put grits in the mashed potato machine while Rasty is sleeping :p

I don't sleep!

Mountain Mike
11-03-2012, 00:46
Damn I was hoping you were in retort page figuring out how to put steaks in the machine.

Rasty
11-03-2012, 01:20
Damn I was hoping you were in retort page figuring out how to put steaks in the machine.

I got that all figured out for cooked products. It's just a little expensive. $4000 for the cryovac machine and $400 (Residential) or $15000 (Smallest USDA compliant Autoclave) + $0.16 for the bag. That's one seriously expensive bag of chicken.

OzJacko
11-03-2012, 03:34
theyre not buying just a car, i have to sell them on me and my dealership. the car they can buy anywhere.if i can get them to like me, they will buy from me.and i know how to get them to like me.
i also take care of them after the sale, which is more important. gets me referrals and plenty of repeat business.
Do a search for John Hughes Perth one day (when your life quietens down).
Biggest dealer (of many makes) in Perth and all his advertising stresses "pick your dealer before you pick your car".
He's been in the game for as long as I can remember. I'm sure he knows what works.

OzJacko
11-03-2012, 03:36
... Or some kinda strokes. ...
Cruel.
I'll have you know I type with both hands (only 2 fingers but both hands).:rolleyes:

OzJacko
11-03-2012, 07:37
Just thinking that if your eyesight starts to go and you can't hike without copious white blazes, you could come over here and hike.
We have no white blazes but we have lots of these....
They are fairly numerous but best of all they're reflective so you can hike at night quite easily.
This is especially useful if you tend to p##s people off.:p

hikerboy57
11-03-2012, 08:04

i have a customer who brings me homemade brownies every time she comes in for service. many of my customers brought in gifts for my grandaughter when she was born.we look at our customer base as a partnership, they help us build our business, we have an auto awards program that gives them service and parts discounts $7 oil changes for life, and a points system, where if they spend money in service or parts 15% gets banked as "points". for every referral that buys a vehicle the customer gets 150 points in his account. the points can be used as an extra rebate towards their next purchase. this encourages them to use our service department, and builds loyalty.
the philosophy i teach here is to treat every single customer as if they were a family member.
do unto others works in business as well as life.

JAK
11-03-2012, 08:10
6 speed hurst short throw
Aren't they suppose to drive real slow?

OzJacko
11-03-2012, 08:15
i have a customer who brings me homemade brownies every time she comes in for service. many of my customers brought in gifts for my grandaughter when she was born.we look at our customer base as a partnership, they help us build our business, we have an auto awards program that gives them service and parts discounts $7 oil changes for life, and a points system, where if they spend money in service or parts 15% gets banked as "points". for every referral that buys a vehicle the customer gets 150 points in his account. the points can be used as an extra rebate towards their next purchase. this encourages them to use our service department, and builds loyalty.
the philosophy i teach here is to treat every single customer as if they were a family member.
do unto others works in business as well as life.
Sounds like you've been taking pointers from REI......:D

hikerboy57
11-03-2012, 08:19
Sounds like you've been taking pointers from REI......:D
read a book in the 80s called in serach of excellence, and the common denominator for the best performing ccompanies was outstanding customer service. its not really a new concept.

hikerboy57
11-03-2012, 08:20
Aren't they suppose to drive real slow?
only before you start it.

OzJacko
11-03-2012, 08:25
read a book in the 80s called in serach of excellence, and the common denominator for the best performing ccompanies was outstanding customer service. its not really a new concept.
No good customer service is a very old skill.
Makes you wonder why so many people need to re-learn it.:rolleyes:
From all I have seen it is a lot more common in your country than mine.
I think our higher wages and non tipping culture has a lot to do with the quite frankly shyte service that you get in many businesses here.

moytoy
11-03-2012, 09:53
The company I worked for in the 80's hired Tom Peters to give a "pep" talk to us. We each got a copy of his book. In search of Excellence
I still have my copy somewhere.

hikerboy57
11-03-2012, 17:04
well it looks like we'll be without power for a few weeks. dont know whether i can stay here at hotel chevrolet for the duration, but im getting used to it. we have a stairway so after hours ill load up my pack and do some training.
i called the chinese restaurant ,asked if they had gas for deliveries, when she said yes, i asked her to bring me 25 gallons of gas, a pint of pork fried rice and an eggroll.

Wise Old Owl
11-03-2012, 18:12
I gotta ask cause I saw something the day before the storm as I drove by the Porsche Dealership - hows sales?

Oh HB what is your avatar?

want a good laugh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ltCIEbLMaQg

hikerboy57
11-03-2012, 18:55
I gotta ask cause I saw something the day before the storm as I drove by the Porsche Dealership - hows sales?its been quiet,without phones and cars to get here, it just started a bit yesterday. gm is offering disaster relief to people with cars damaged by the storm. what weve been doing is reaching out to all of our customers, just to see if they are okay,not a sales call, but its hard to contact them. a couple came in last night from far rockaway, both of their cars destroyed,we got a few more people in today, but people are still dealing with clean up and finding a place to live, and its not easy to get around. no rentals available, and no gas.id guess that some 50-100,000 cars will be destroyed on long island, so itll be good business. the other plus side is the massive amount of construction work, infrastructure repair. our local economy will be booming again.
the stipulation on the disaster relief rebate is a copy of a claim form for damage caused by hurricane sandy, which of course most people wont have yet. we're rolling the cars with or without the documentation, even if it means we get stuck for the rebate. we dont care. its the right thing to do.
yin and yang.
its a crazy universe.

hikerboy57
11-03-2012, 19:03
I gotta ask cause I saw something the day before the storm as I drove by the Porsche Dealership - hows sales?

Oh HB what is your avatar?

want a good laugh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ltCIEbLMaQg
that was awesome woo, have you seen this one?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZfXvFAeHVo
the avatar is whats left of a church amid the rubble of breezy point, statue of the virgin mary

Wise Old Owl
11-03-2012, 19:29
Thank you and I thought I was debating myself ...too funny so show us the full pic. of the avatar.

hikerboy57
11-03-2012, 19:46
http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.4170138.1351631227!/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/display_525/image.JPG

hikerboy57
11-03-2012, 20:57
http://www.ilovelbny.com/files/sunrise_gullfix.jpg

itll get better the sun always rises

OzJacko
11-04-2012, 04:13
Hey HB!
Just how desperate is that gas shortage??

http://franksemails.com/pics/extreme-acts-of-wrongness/wrong3.jpg

OzJacko
11-04-2012, 08:09
I'm feeling liberated now that I have admitted in another post that I have stainless steel in my pack.:eek:
I'm sure I will be blacklisted in any UL threads now.:D

Train Wreck
11-04-2012, 09:54
I'm feeling liberated now that I have admitted in another post that I have stainless steel in my pack.:eek:

Confession is good for the soul!

Wise Old Owl
11-04-2012, 10:09

You know I am the (ONLY) advocate for that... there is a lot of junk China made knives out there.... the crap goes dull far too fast. So no- you are not blacklisted, those comments are for the nu-bes. So they don't think a razor blade is all they need.

Oh its a damn cup..... ya might need a stainless steel cup to protect William and the boys....:eek:

NEVERMIND!:rolleyes:

Wise Old Owl
11-04-2012, 10:18
Come on you haven't gone to bed yet.... How ya been OZ? getting your summer started right? hows the grass growing on your side of the planet... can I send you some snow?

We gotta bust a mood - have some fun~

OzJacko
11-04-2012, 10:32
Come on you haven't gone to bed yet.... How ya been OZ? getting your summer started right? hows the grass growing on your side of the planet... can I send you some snow?

We gotta bust a mood - have some fun~
Im reading WB in the ad breaks for the Grand Prix.
Going to bed soon.
It's a wonderful cup. Note the heavy use on the outside and how clean inside!
We could talk about what makes a great trail dog....
This one has a couple of good points.

http://franksemails.com/pics/miscpics/chienaffam.jpg

Wise Old Owl
11-04-2012, 10:38
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/5/5/2/2006_0910Image0019.JPG

Thats a trail dog.

Train Wreck
11-04-2012, 10:40
THAT'S a well-trained owner!

Wise Old Owl
11-04-2012, 10:43
Uh that's me.....

Train Wreck
11-04-2012, 10:43
Im reading WB in the ad breaks for the Grand Prix.
Going to bed soon.
It's a wonderful cup. Note the heavy use on the outside and how clean inside!
We could talk about what makes a great trail dog....
This one has a couple of good points.

What, the nose and tail? :D You could roll him down the trail from springer to katahdin.
Poor doggie, how could the owners let him get that obese?!

http://franksemails.com/pics/miscpics/chienaffam.jpg

Train Wreck
11-04-2012, 10:44
Uh that's me.....

Sit!
Stay!
Hike!

OzJacko
11-04-2012, 10:46
What, the nose and tail? :D You could roll him down the trail from springer to katahdin.
Poor doggie, how could the owners let him get that obese?!
Yeah. t is a form of abuse isn't it?
I thought he'd be good for a trail maintainer.
Get him to take a couple of steps, lie down and flatten the trail. Repeat repeat etc...

OzJacko
11-04-2012, 10:47
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/5/5/2/2006_0910Image0019.JPG

Thats a trail dog.
So which one do we call the pack animal??:D

OzJacko
11-04-2012, 10:58
Grand prix over.
Aussie Mark Webber stuffed it again.
Young West Aussie Daniel Ricciardo got another point - 2016 will be his year.

Leave you with the trail dogs of the future (actually from the past)....

http://franksemails.com/pics/motivational-posters-29-10-08/c8d85022e2.jpg

Wise Old Owl
11-04-2012, 11:08
too much.... hey I gotta pack and go the weather is grand and cold

hikerboy57
11-04-2012, 20:26
heard from rocketsocks today, said he hasnt been feeling well,but will be back soon. i ttold him we have no place to sit until he gets us the stool samples.
most importantly, he and his family are safe.

HikerMom58
11-04-2012, 20:29
Yay for rocketsocks... I hope he feels better soon. I've been gone for a bit, HB so I hope things are still moving forward for you and your family.

Wise Old Owl
11-04-2012, 20:36
I too have heard from RS ... I wish him the best ... he is going thru a hard time health wise....

Gray Blazer
11-04-2012, 20:43
Wassup?

Gray Blazer
11-04-2012, 20:45
Hope everyone is doing OK. Weather is beautiful here in N FL. If you feel like Hiking some FT this winter let me know.

hikerboy57
11-04-2012, 21:25
Yay for rocketsocks... I hope he feels better soon. I've been gone for a bit, HB so I hope things are still moving forward for you and your family.
i just heard from my daughter courtney, they got a call from enterprise that they had gotten a shipment of rental cars(they had been on a waiting list)gave them a brand new infiniti with just 30 miles on it and a full tank of gas. they said they were going to drive around all night with the heated seats and heat on listen to music and the news.there is a winter rental home available close to courtneys house for her mom, sister and stepfather to stay while their house gets rebuilt.still no power, but they have an oil heater they used for a few hours lastt night to heat the place up and one of their neighbors had a generator , so they let courtney hook it up for a few hours so they could watch tv and see whats going on.
my daughter amazes me, she told me she was mad at her husband brendan who wouldnt let her take their truck into long beach this morning because they only had 1/4 tank of gas. she wanted to donate clothing blankets and food . she feels fortunate that theyve survived and are relatively comfortable compared to so many of her friends and families that are now homeless.
and its that same great spirit of cooperation that flows throughout the communtiy. everyone doing whatever they can to help one another.
i hope it lasts forever.
yeah, we'll get through it.

Papa D
11-04-2012, 21:52
just got back from Joyce Kilmer Citico Creek Wilderness - as remote and pretty as ever

hikerboy57
11-04-2012, 22:07
Im jealous a long hike would probably do me a lot of good right now.
how long were you out?

Sarcasm the elf
11-04-2012, 22:19
The power's back on as of 2:00pm today!!!

Another Kevin
11-05-2012, 00:15
We're all still pulling for you HB. My brother's in the same leaky boat you are; he's wiped out but the folks at his job and his GF are there for him. My other folks in Inwood got hammered too. (Houses that survived The Big Ones of 1938 and 1960 went in Sandy!) But at least all the people are ok.

Too many of the 'legitimate' news stories are coming from Twitter. I heard stories that they were contemplating shutting down the Rockaway branch permanently - and on the same day saw pictures of the crews working on rebuilding it. The latest one (which LIPA is denying) is that LIPA told the Queens borough president that it would be at least 7 weeks before they could get power to the South Shore and Rockaways because the transformers at the substations were blown. (Of course, LIPA's not helping, what with cooking the books by deciding to exclude the barrier beaches and Rockaways from their outage statistics.)

I need to take a hike and forget this stuff, but I can't go now because if I'm out of reach, that'll be the time that my brother finally swallows his pride and lets me know what I can do for him.

Gray Blazer
11-05-2012, 08:37
Have a good Monday and a great week, everybody.

Not posting any pictures today.

OzJacko
11-05-2012, 08:47
Have a good Monday and a great week, everybody.

Not posting any pictures today.
I'll post one for you GB.
Budget camp shoes....:D

http://dailypicksandflicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/picdump-618-24.jpg

Great to hear Rocketsocks is on the improve.

Wise Old Owl
11-05-2012, 09:13
Wow did I learn a lesson yesterday on the AT.... what happens here on WB has little to do with what is reality of the trail - everyone I met was super nice, loved Rugby- to death, talked about hiking or their dogs. Met a group going southbound and was sleeping on Hawk Mountain in spite of 31 degrees. They blew me away when I spotted the pressure cooker they had. Sorry no trail names.

OzJacko
11-05-2012, 09:31
Wow did I learn a lesson yesterday on the AT.... what happens here on WB has little to do with what is reality of the trail - everyone I met was super nice, loved Rugby- to death, talked about hiking or their dogs. Met a group going southbound and was sleeping on Hawk Mountain in spite of 31 degrees. They blew me away when I spotted the pressure cooker they had. Sorry no trail names.
Maybe we should view WB as where all the frustrated hikers vent so that they're nice on the trail....

Gray Blazer
11-05-2012, 10:27
Ozzy, those shoes look like mine.

Gray Blazer
11-05-2012, 15:13
My gear's better than your gear.

avalonmorn
11-05-2012, 15:28
I'll post one for you GB.
Budget camp shoes....:D

http://dailypicksandflicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/picdump-618-24.jpg

Great to hear Rocketsocks is on the improve.

That is not a real hiker's foot....blackened toenails!

gizzy bear
11-05-2012, 16:33

HB great to hear that your family is safe and doing as well as can be expected...it is amazing what GREAT spirit you see in people in dire times....and at the same time, you also see scumbags, like looters and crap... but just wanted to say i was glad to hear they are well.

HikerMom58
11-05-2012, 16:45
i just heard from my daughter courtney, they got a call from enterprise that they had gotten a shipment of rental cars(they had been on a waiting list)gave them a brand new infiniti with just 30 miles on it and a full tank of gas. they said they were going to drive around all night with the heated seats and heat on listen to music and the news.there is a winter rental home available close to courtneys house for her mom, sister and stepfather to stay while their house gets rebuilt.still no power, but they have an oil heater they used for a few hours lastt night to heat the place up and one of their neighbors had a generator , so they let courtney hook it up for a few hours so they could watch tv and see whats going on.
my daughter amazes me, she told me she was mad at her husband brendan who wouldnt let her take their truck into long beach this morning because they only had 1/4 tank of gas. she wanted to donate clothing blankets and food . she feels fortunate that theyve survived and are relatively comfortable compared to so many of her friends and families that are now homeless.
and its that same great spirit of cooperation that flows throughout the communtiy. everyone doing whatever they can to help one another.
i hope it lasts forever.
yeah, we'll get through it.

That's really great news HB... I thank you for keeping us informed. I love to hear all the personal stories of people helping each other. :) Soo happy for Courtney & Brendan, sister, mom and stepfather. :) Is Courtney the one that decorates the cakes?

hikerboy57
11-05-2012, 16:47
That's really great news HB... I thank you for keeping us informed. I love to hear all the personal stories of people helping each other. :) Soo happy for Courtney & Brendan, sister, mom and stepfather. :) Is Courtney the one that decorates the cakes?
no that was alex. their both great kids.
thanks for your thoughts mom

hikerboy57
11-05-2012, 16:47
HB great to hear that your family is safe and doing as well as can be expected...it is amazing what GREAT spirit you see in people in dire times....and at the same time, you also see scumbags, like looters and crap... but just wanted to say i was glad to hear they are well.

thanks gizzy bear.

coach lou
11-05-2012, 16:53
My gear's better than your gear.

....but, my gear is heavier than yours. Na na na na na!:D

hikerboy57
11-05-2012, 16:57

i know this to be true, regardless of how heavy gray blazers pack is.

coach lou
11-05-2012, 17:12
i know this to be true, regardless of how heavy gray blazers pack is.

If we ever walk with the Gray Blazer, I'll carry the entire Mud Pie. w/Coffeemate, I draw the line carrieing a quart of light cream.

kayak karl
11-05-2012, 19:04
Rescue Owl

Wise Old Owl
11-05-2012, 19:10
Who ya go-in to call - Rescue Owl?

HB finally the politics is out of the way CBS is revealing the real story of how bad it is. The story of looters is now real

kayak karl
11-05-2012, 20:30
that owl was hit by a car. its being cared for by this lady in Medford NJ

hikerboy57
11-05-2012, 20:41
Who ya go-in to call - Rescue Owl?

HB finally the politics is out of the way CBS is revealing the real story of how bad it is. The story of looters is now real
apparently we deserve it.

hikerboy57
11-05-2012, 20:44
the night sky is beautiful. no lights.

HikerMom58
11-05-2012, 21:01

That is a bunch of malarkey!! We don't have control over all things in this world & we don't always do it RIGHT. But deserve it? I think not. Pay no attention.

The looters are the desperate ones. That's a shame! Still no lights where you live?

hikerboy57
11-05-2012, 21:20
It is both spooky and eerily beautiful.im at amcdonalds in nearby rockville centre.there is a blocklong line of people with gas cans so they can keep generators going.its going to be cold tonight upper 20s.our store in freeport got some clothing and food to the local shelter,weve got two trucks filled with jackets cases of infant formula and diapers.well get them to long beach tomorrow.our customers have been coming in with food and clothes all day.when i left we still weresiphoning gas from lease returns into the suburbanseveryone ive seen is in a mood very similar to the weeks that followed 9/11 ,strangers asking each other if theyre ok,if they need anything.and the night sky,everything
eerily beautiful

Sarcasm the elf
11-05-2012, 21:23
W.O.O., have you been petting my dog again?

http://m.wimp.com/owldog/

Sarcasm the elf
11-05-2012, 21:34

Having witnessed it firsthand, i can confirm the accuracy of this statement. :cool:

hikerboy57
11-05-2012, 21:58
I just got back home had to go through a checkpoint. Island Park and Long Beach are both under curfew. I saw 2 buses of National Guardsmen heading into Long Beach.

hikerboy57
11-05-2012, 22:03
That is a bunch of malarkey!! We don't have control over all things in this world & we don't always do it RIGHT. But deserve it? I think not. Pay no attention. The looters are the desperate ones. That's a shame! Still no lights where you live? not all the looters are desperate. many are just dirt bags. there are people buying gas and turning around and selling it for 10 dollars a gallon. there are always people that will take advantage of other people's misery. but they are in the minority. there is great community spirit here.

Mountain Mike
11-05-2012, 22:04
Home, home? or the dealership?

hikerboy57
11-05-2012, 22:05
I think when people go through such tremendous loss helping others is part of their own personal healing process. no matter who they don't have to look far to see someone who's worse off than they are. it's not all good yet but it will get better.

hikerboy57
11-05-2012, 22:10
Home, home? or the dealership?

home I'll be sleeping in my Big Agnes lost Ranger. it's about 40 degrees in here right now no heat or electricity but the night sky is beautiful. only the sound of a noisy generator a few houses away is a bit too noisy.

Mountain Mike
11-05-2012, 22:14
At least I know you will be warm & be able to cook. Put your pack on & walk up & down the stairs & consider it training.

hikerboy57
11-05-2012, 22:20
I have a couple of Mountain House meals instant mashed potatoes ok meal and of course Starbucks via, the choice of pack sniffers worldwide.
but it's good

turtle fast
11-06-2012, 02:45
As we have seen our backpacking gear has a place in our lives other than on a trail or at a campsite. As emergency services are overwhelmed it is interesting that hikers can improvise and rely on gear for which its intended purpose was not for emergencies at home.

Gray Blazer
11-06-2012, 08:28
If we ever walk with the Gray Blazer, I'll carry the entire Mud Pie. w/Coffeemate, I draw the line carrieing a quart of light cream.

You have to carry the left handed smoke shifter.

coach lou
11-06-2012, 08:31
You'll need both hands.

Gray Blazer
11-06-2012, 08:35
HB, hopefully one day you'll look back on this situation and smile. I'm glad people are helping people. With all the bad news the media puts out, it's hard to remember people are mostly good.

Now that my shoulder is better (big shot of cortisone) I'm looking forward to hiking with Ozzy and the rest of the cafe clientele. I'm going to send my old school jansport back to the company cuz I hear they will fix it or replace it. I hope they fix it cuz I love my old jansport. I was going to include a picture of my pack, but, I thought better of it.

Peace out.

hikerboy57
11-06-2012, 09:29
Yes gb the attitude of the people down here is wonderful. at the same time it's going to put a lot of people back to work. lives have been shattered in a matter of hours. but people are making the best of it and the sense of community has never been stronger. my landlord got a generator so we have hot water. it's 32 degrees out right now but I was warm in my sleeping bag last night.

Sarcasm the elf
11-06-2012, 10:00
You have to carry the left handed smoke shifter.During my first time going to my boy scout district's winter camporee the older kids gave me the task of acquiring a left handed smoke shifter and i spent several hours asking other troops if they had one they could spare.

hikerboy57
11-06-2012, 10:09
Expecting more flooding with tomorrows storm.theyre asking people in flood zones to leave again for hi ground.looks like ill be back at hotel chevrolet tomorrow.found a laundramat with power,tv.

Train Wreck
11-06-2012, 10:13

KK, I have a friend who does wildlife rescue & rehabilitation. Mostly possums and squirrels but she occasionally gets hawks & owls. Then she has to buy mice to feed them while they're recovering. Once she got a baby buzzard that stunk up the place to high heaven. Owls are much cooler birds!

Train Wreck
11-06-2012, 10:20
Sorry, that was supposed to be attached to Karl, s picture of the rescue owl, not HB's post. Smart phone is smarter than me.

hikerboy57
11-06-2012, 10:27
Sorry, that was supposed to be attached to Karl, s picture of the rescue owl, not HB's post. Smart phone is smarter than me.

I kind of thought so me and karl look nothing alike

Train Wreck
11-06-2012, 10:43
I kind of thought so me and karl look nothing alike

Voice recognition software sucks at hiker recognition

Gray Blazer
11-06-2012, 11:21
During my first time going to my boy scout district's winter camporee the older kids gave me the task of acquiring a left handed smoke shifter and i spent several hours asking other troops if they had one they could spare.
So, you never found one?

Gray Blazer
11-06-2012, 11:24
Expecting more flooding with tomorrows storm.theyre asking people in flood zones to leave again for hi ground.looks like ill be back at hotel chevrolet tomorrow.found a laundramat with power,tv.

Laundromats are a good place to meet chicas.

Gray Blazer
11-06-2012, 11:25

My phone is a stupid phone.

Wise Old Owl
11-06-2012, 15:58
smoke benders are easy - the compass fluid - refill was way over the top... nice owls-keep them coming.

Creek Dancer
11-06-2012, 16:09
So, you never found one?

He was too busy snipe hunting.

Odd Man Out
11-06-2012, 17:18

I was looking for the sky hook.

Rasty
11-06-2012, 19:31

I was looking for the sky hook.

Or searching for an umbilical cord.

Sarcasm the elf
11-06-2012, 23:04
So, you never found one?

smoke benders are easy - the compass fluid - refill was way over the top... nice owls-keep them coming.

For almost an hour I was convinced by several devious scouts that I had found a left handed smoke shifter. It was actually a homemade reflector oven. After that I caught on and never did fall for the snipe hunt or the sky hook routine.

A close friend who grew up in a different state swears that on his first camp out one of the cloth fillaments on a propane lantern broke and he was sent to ask a female leader if she had brought a spare Fallopian tube.

Many Moons
11-07-2012, 00:00
For almost an hour I was convinced by several devious scouts that I had found a left handed smoke shifter. It was actually a homemade reflector oven. After that I caught on and never did fall for the snipe hunt or the sky hook routine.

A close friend who grew up in a different state swears that on his first camp out one of the cloth fillaments on a propane lantern broke and he was sent to ask a female leader if she had brought a spare Fallopian tube.
Believe it or not we hunt Snipe in NC. They are down in the swamps near where the river rabbits live and taste like Quail.

Sarcasm the elf
11-07-2012, 00:06
Believe it or not we hunt Snipe in NC. They are down in the swamps near where the river rabbits live and taste like Quail.

Those are a different species. The older scouts were quite clear that the ones we were looking for glowed in the dark and ate boot leather.

OzJacko
11-07-2012, 05:37
Now that you'all done voting can we all relax??

Query for Coach Lou.
This one's doing the rounds down here.
Is it all joke or is there an element of truth in it?

http://dailypicksandflicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/picdump-625-3.jpg

coach lou
11-07-2012, 06:29

Query for Coach Lou.

Oz, I am not the guy to query about the Jersey Shore. I actually have never been on that shore. Our beaches are OK here on the North side of Long Island sound, and 40 miles east you have the Rhode Island beaches which are even better, with nice waves for body surfing, and then farther east is Cape Cod. And we don't have TV in our household, so I've never seen Snookie and her crew!

OzJacko
11-07-2012, 07:14
Oz, I am not the guy to query about the Jersey Shore. I actually have never been on that shore. Our beaches are OK here on the North side of Long Island sound, and 40 miles east you have the Rhode Island beaches which are even better, with nice waves for body surfing, and then farther east is Cape Cod. And we don't have TV in our household, so I've never seen Snookie and her crew!
OK Coach!
I know it's a poor taste joke anyway but jokes of all taste are part of Australia's culture.
It's a bit like that site somewhere that makes jokes about dead celebrities within minutes of them dying. There's always someone starts a joke within minutes of any disaster.
We have a lot of jokes about great white sharks too and we've had something like 5 attacks in 12 months here in West Aussie.

Karma13
11-07-2012, 07:24
There's an element of truth in that picture!

We used to go "down the shore" (Wildwood, Atlantic City) when I was a kid, and my sister still takes her kids to Cape May every year for a week or two. Those beaches are crowded. Coolers, umbrellas, the works. Good memories, though. Especially for kids.

Train Wreck
11-07-2012, 07:31
OK Coach!
I know it's a poor taste joke anyway but jokes of all taste are part of Australia's culture.
It's a bit like that site somewhere that makes jokes about dead celebrities within minutes of them dying. There's always someone starts a joke within minutes of any disaster.
We have a lot of jokes about great white sharks too and we've had something like 5 attacks in 12 months here in West Aussie.

Please come and get your shark. It's interfering with cleanup efforts!

coach lou
11-07-2012, 07:56
OK Coach!

Oz, my brain chamber has a lead lining.:sun

hikerboy57
11-07-2012, 08:02
I went down to the beach yesterday and indeed it has been swept Queen. I'm online right now waiting for gas.

hikerboy57
11-07-2012, 08:05
Clean,swept clean

hikerboy57
11-07-2012, 08:10
I stayed mostly in Island Park yesterday to conserve gas I went down to the fema hq. people from all over came down with truck loads of blankets clothing diapers baby formula. it was really wonderful to see. I'll post some pictures when I get into work. we've been asked to leave again for higher ground in preparation for the storm I'll be staying at Hotel Chevrolet tonight 1 of my friends in Long Beach told me she got power back last night

OzJacko
11-07-2012, 08:30
I stayed mostly in Island Park yesterday to conserve gas I went down to the fema hq. people from all over came down with truck loads of blankets clothing diapers baby formula. it was really wonderful to see. I'll post some pictures when I get into work. we've been asked to leave again for higher ground in preparation for the storm I'll be staying at Hotel Chevrolet tonight 1 of my friends in Long Beach told me she got power back last night
The wheels turn too slowly it sometimes seems but they do turn...:)

coach lou
11-07-2012, 08:39
Oz, where was that top picture? It has always amazed me that folks will go out to nature, and then destroy it.

OzJacko
11-07-2012, 08:40
Oz, where was that top picture? It has always amazed me that folks will go out to nature, and then destroy it.
Don't know Coach.
One of those spam jokes doing the rounds - don't know the origin.

This looks beautiful (and cold) at the moment though....
http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/cam/north/

coach lou
11-07-2012, 08:44
Much nicer:sun

OzJacko
11-07-2012, 08:48
Just as nice!!!!
http://www.neoc.com/webcam/twin-pines-webcam-camera1.php

coach lou
11-07-2012, 08:50
18 degrees.......nice.........:eek:

OzJacko
11-07-2012, 09:05
18 degrees.......nice.........:eek:
Because I generally look at it (I have both of them as bookmarks and often look at both - told you I got Springer fever bad) at odd times of the day over there I see a lot of low temps and dawns and sunsets etc.
It was about 8 degrees when I looked yesterday and wind chill figure was about 12 below.

coach lou
11-07-2012, 09:11
Because I generally look at it (I have both of them as bookmarks and often look at both - told you I got Springer fever bad) at odd times of the day over there I see a lot of low temps and dawns and sunsets etc.
It was about 8 degrees when I looked yesterday and wind chill figure was about 12 below.

I have a similar bookmark, from the United States Virgin Islands:banana 85 degrees:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun:su n:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun: sun:sun

Pedaling Fool
11-07-2012, 09:11

Query for Coach Lou.

Yeah, there's an element of truth...but actually the "before" pic looks more like the now pic in the communities. BTW, how's that cap and trade working out for ya'll; I think we need that here so we don't kill mother earth ;) :)

OzJacko
11-07-2012, 09:30
Yeah, there's an element of truth...but actually the "before" pic looks more like the now pic in the communities. BTW, how's that cap and trade working out for ya'll; I think we need that here so we don't kill mother earth ;) :)
"cap and trade"??
If that's a reference to our carbon tax, it's all smoke and mirrors at present.
Essentially our government shooting us all in the foot so far.
The idea of a carbon tax only works to my thinking if once you've imposed it on your own people you impose a bigger penalty on everyone else who doesn't have one as well. Otherwise you have just made yourself less competitive....

OzJacko
11-07-2012, 09:38
I sometimes think there might be something to the "Gaia" idea that the earth is one big organism.
Mankind is an infection poisoning the organism and all the new pestilences and havoc that nature throws our way is the organisms attempt to rid itself of the problem.
No sillier than many other popular beliefs I suppose.:o

Nature always tries to restore some balance to things....
http://franksemails.com/pics/misc-comics2/GIF.gif

coach lou
11-07-2012, 09:42
That is a very interesting take on our world and how it all turns!

OzJacko
11-07-2012, 09:49
That is a very interesting take on our world and how it all turns!
Well from here I get an interesting perspective of your part of the world as it turns...:D
It's not an original idea - I saw it first in an old science fiction novel I read in my youth.
It's always stuck in the back of my mind and comes to the fore when some big things happen, e.g. the AIDS epidemic, the Boxing Day tsunami a few years ago etc.

By the way, noticing another thread - we get fined if we don't vote. It's compulsory here.
In all probability there will be an election here while I'm hiking the AT next year and when I get back I'll get a letter asking me to give good reason why I didn't vote.
I never have a problem voting. There's always someone I want to vote against.

Gray Blazer
11-07-2012, 10:09
OK Coach!

(insert video here of Captain Ron (Kurt Russel) telling his new boss (Martin Short) that he ran the Saratoga aground on that big reef off of Australia. "Ahhhh, the good old Sara.")

Train Wreck
11-07-2012, 10:21
You get fined for not voting?!?! Seriously?

turtle fast
11-07-2012, 11:10
Sir, I am sorry I was not able to vote as I was in the bathroom..with a few rolls of toilet paper...I wonder what kind of looks you would get. ;)

Train Wreck
11-07-2012, 11:29
Can you imagine if some lawmakers latch onto this idea here?
New tax revenue = PROFIT!

turtle fast
11-07-2012, 11:46
Yes...tax the rich. Tax businesses. Tax vehicles and gas. Tax the voters...wait that is all of us.