PDA

View Full Version : hikerboys cyber cafe

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196

Gray Blazer
11-07-2012, 13:42
Yes...tax the rich. Tax businesses. Tax vehicles and gas. Tax the voters...wait that is all of us.

Tax the rich,
Feed the poor,
'Til there are no
Rich no more ...

Alvin Lee-Ten Years After

Sarcasm the elf
11-07-2012, 14:21
We may want to stop the tax/politics talk while we're still sitting at the bar. The bouncer and the polar bear are starting to give us dirty looks...

coach lou
11-07-2012, 14:49
We may want to stop the tax/politics talk while we're still sitting at the bar. The bouncer and the polar bear are starting to give us dirty looks...

I'm sure there is a scaley creature slithering around somewhere, lookin' for a little snack.

HikerMom58
11-07-2012, 15:01
The "hooking up" threads are always interesting.... just sayin.

The upcoming storm has me concerned. I hope everyone displaced by the last storm has a place to stay warm and dry....

Gray Blazer
11-07-2012, 15:23
Did someone ask for a scaley creature?

http://cdn.comps.fotosearch.com/comp/CSP/CSP076/music-melt_%7Ek0765904.jpg

hikerboy57
11-07-2012, 15:24
The "hooking up" threads are always interesting.... just sayin.

The upcoming storm has me concerned. I hope everyone displaced by the last storm has a place to stay warm and dry....

we're going to get flooded again tonight, after tomrorrw i should be able to get back into my house. yesterday i had off, went home, found a laundromat to do laundry, then went back to island park to help out. we had trucks coming in from all over long island with goods and food, utility trucks from alabama, tennessee, NC, PA,OH it was unbelievable. truckloads of diapers formula toiletries, bedding blankets food, more food, water, more water. even our local starbucks serving hot coffee, they had hot food, fema red cross salvation army all down there. i unloaded trucks for almost 4 hours,and everyone was having a good time, wonderful to see the gratitude of those who were left with nothing. the trauma is behind us, everyones pitching together to get our city back to some semblance of normal as quickly as possible. the response has been great the attitude is upbeat.
still have no power or heat, but hopefully that will be over soon.ill be here at the hotel chevrolet tonight.
it was one of my best days off that i didnt spend on some trail.
:)

Gray Blazer
11-07-2012, 15:24
I'm missing my picture of a musical scale. It's prolly better I don't post a pic after what happened last time.

HikerMom58
11-07-2012, 15:41
we're going to get flooded again tonight, after tomrorrw i should be able to get back into my house. yesterday i had off, went home, found a laundromat to do laundry, then went back to island park to help out. we had trucks coming in from all over long island with goods and food, utility trucks from alabama, tennessee, NC, PA,OH it was unbelievable. truckloads of diapers formula toiletries, bedding blankets food, more food, water, more water. even our local starbucks serving hot coffee, they had hot food, fema red cross salvation army all down there. i unloaded trucks for almost 4 hours,and everyone was having a good time, wonderful to see the gratitude of those who were left with nothing. the trauma is behind us, everyones pitching together to get our city back to some semblance of normal as quickly as possible. the response has been great the attitude is upbeat.
still have no power or heat, but hopefully that will be over soon.ill be here at the hotel chevrolet tonight.
it was one of my best days off that i didnt spend on some trail.
:)

Wow!! That is an excellent report!! I've been hearing about truckloads of the very things you mentioned being collected here in Roanoke VA. I want to donate some things as well. Great to get a first hand report of those things being delivered and our own hikerboy57 helping with the distribution. :D Good days ahead for everyone! :) Hope the power will be restored to you very soon.

MedicineWoman2012
11-07-2012, 15:49
Hikerboy..I am so greatful to see you are reflecting on the experiences you have had on the trail to get you thru this :o)

hikerboy57
11-07-2012, 15:50
Wow!! That is an excellent report!! I've been hearing about truckloads of the very things you mentioned being collected here in Roanoke VA. I want to donate some things as well. Great to get a first hand report of those things being delivered and our own hikerboy57 helping with the distribution. :D Good days ahead for everyone! :) Hope the power will be restored to you very soon.
i was alos able to organize food and clothing drives from each of our dealerships, our dealership family also had a few families who lost everything, theyre getting additional support from the owners to replace vehicles, offers of places to stay, mu boss even offered to put me up in a hotel, until we get power restored, but i told him im okay, just inconvenienced. the East Hills family looks out for each other.

HikerMom58
11-07-2012, 15:58
Hikerboy..I am so greatful to see you are reflecting on the experiences you have had on the trail to get you thru this :o)

I like that as well. :)

i was alos able to organize food and clothing drives from each of our dealerships, our dealership family also had a few families who lost everything, theyre getting additional support from the owners to replace vehicles, offers of places to stay, mu boss even offered to put me up in a hotel, until we get power restored, but i told him im okay, just inconvenienced. the East Hills family looks out for each other.

Thumbs up ............I can't stop smiling...:D

hikerboy57
11-07-2012, 16:16
Hikerboy..I am so greatful to see you are reflecting on the experiences you have had on the trail to get you thru this :o)it was kind of funny monday night when i went home and i saw my landlady who kept on apologizing to me (i was giving her the rent), and i told her to look up. we have stars!!
she remembered my backpacking experience , she laughed said "oh yeah, i forgot you can deal with all this crap!" she used my pocket rocket to make tea.
i really dont own that many things so its easier for me to deal with it than most. ive lost my attachments

turtle fast
11-07-2012, 18:08
Hiking gear to the rescue again....see it pays to have good gear!

hikerboy57
11-07-2012, 21:20
ive been trying to figure out how to load some of the pictures i took yesterday with my phone. wanted to show you guys that we're not sitting around feeling sorry for ourselves. ill try a few other things see if i can convert the files. ive got pics of fema, red cross salvation army, as well as a host of volunteers just making sure the people who needed help were getting it. i also have a shot of a concrete bathouse on the beach that was destroyed, as well as a mountain of sand 40 ft high from the sand theyre plowing out of long beach streets.
even had a picture of bigfoot,so if anyone can clue me in on how to get these pics on line, you'll enjoy the shots of extraterrestials pitching in.
and we now have about 3 inches of snow on the ground.
plese dont start raining frogs.

Mountain Mike
11-07-2012, 21:44
Email them to yourself.

hikerboy57
11-07-2012, 21:50
Email them to yourself.
i did , then i down sized them still wont upload. tried copy/paste, wont paste.
do you know how much a picture of bigfoot helping the relief effort is worth???!

Rasty
11-07-2012, 22:05
ive been trying to figure out how to load some of the pictures i took yesterday with my phone. wanted to show you guys that we're not sitting around feeling sorry for ourselves. ill try a few other things see if i can convert the files. ive got pics of fema, red cross salvation army, as well as a host of volunteers just making sure the people who needed help were getting it. i also have a shot of a concrete bathouse on the beach that was destroyed, as well as a mountain of sand 40 ft high from the sand theyre plowing out of long beach streets.
even had a picture of bigfoot,so if anyone can clue me in on how to get these pics on line, you'll enjoy the shots of extraterrestials pitching in.
and we now have about 3 inches of snow on the ground.
plese dont start raining frogs.

Getting hit by frozen frog rain would suck.:D

hikerboy57
11-07-2012, 22:13
Getting hit by frozen frog rain would suck.:D

if you saw the movie 2012 , well thats kind of what ny has been like the past few months, we've had earthquakes, tornadoes,hurricanes(ridiculously late season hurricane), and a nor easter with about 4 inches on the ground.
frozen frog rain would indeed suck.

Mountain Mike
11-07-2012, 22:15
Hate frozen frog rain!

hikerboy57
11-08-2012, 08:07
6 inches of snow on LIs north shore.i dont think the south shore got as much, but now tree limbs are down, clenaup s a new challenge, with more damage to power lines that still havent been brought on line yet.some reports now say we may not have power restored till thanksgiving.
sheesh.

moytoy
11-08-2012, 08:13
I've been through what your going through but not in winter time conditions. I feel for you folks. It's being reported here that some Florida Power and Light crews and trucks were in NJ and were sent back to Florida because they didn't belong to the Union. I don't get that.

atmilkman
11-08-2012, 08:28
I've been through what your going through but not in winter time conditions. I feel for you folks. It's being reported here that some Florida Power and Light crews and trucks were in NJ and were sent back to Florida because they didn't belong to the Union. I don't get that.
Same thing happened to the Alabama crews in the very first couple of days so they went to New York.

hikerboy57
11-08-2012, 08:41

we heard the same rumor about lipa. totally untrue. union, non union everyones working together, we have people here from alabama tennesse, ohio CT and mass.
but this weather just doesnt want to quit. theyre saying mid60s this weekend.
at least all the trash looks pretty this morning.

WingedMonkey
11-08-2012, 08:43

Before this goes Whiteblaze cyber viral, it is a false story, and yes the misinformation started with an Alabama crew.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/sandyunion.asp

moytoy
11-08-2012, 08:52
Before this goes Whiteblaze cyber viral, it is a false story, and yes the misinformation started with an Alabama crew.

I don't want that to happen! I would not have even mentioned it except that HB was talking about not getting power until Thanksgiving. Hopefully being buried in a thread with almost 7K post will keep it buried.

hikerboy57
11-08-2012, 08:59
i think theyre doing the best they can. communication is a major problem though.LIPA and national grid are not doing a good enough job getting info to customers.

snifur
11-08-2012, 09:21
HB, how would you rectify the communication issue? They are currently task saturated themselves. With out power how do they broadcast to the general populace? Radio is a means, but often does not reach the masses. NewsPapers also do not reach the masses as fewer people read the paper these days. Internet reaches those with power and connection but they have to have both. Communications is always an issue when there is a large populace affected. It is unfair to criticize and blame when they are doing the best they can with the time resources they have. If the entire city and or state was set up with a Public Announcement system that could be broadcast that is one way to remedy the communication issue. What about maybe holding daily announcements in the town square? that would get the word out. But also, whatever information they do put out people will demand more. This is an age old problem where people want it their way and all of their needs taken care of. If you dont see the big picture and you dont know how it works and you are not involved in the process, then it is easy to criticize and demand more.

snifur
11-08-2012, 09:23
Everyone needs a cookie and a hot chocolate with rose colored glasses to view the white picket fence they desire.

atmilkman
11-08-2012, 09:33

That's good. You know how rumors go. I'm in FL now and I was getting second hand info from home. Just wouldn't make sense not to accept help. Glad everybody's working to help get people power back.

hikerboy57
11-08-2012, 09:38
HB, how would you rectify the communication issue? They are currently task saturated themselves. With out power how do they broadcast to the general populace? Radio is a means, but often does not reach the masses. NewsPapers also do not reach the masses as fewer people read the paper these days. Internet reaches those with power and connection but they have to have both. Communications is always an issue when there is a large populace affected. It is unfair to criticize and blame when they are doing the best they can with the time resources they have. If the entire city and or state was set up with a Public Announcement system that could be broadcast that is one way to remedy the communication issue. What about maybe holding daily announcements in the town square? that would get the word out. But also, whatever information they do put out people will demand more. This is an age old problem where people want it their way and all of their needs taken care of. If you dont see the big picture and you dont know how it works and you are not involved in the process, then it is easy to criticize and demand more.
there is so much frustration that although it would appear they are deploying every possible resource with cleanup(a challenge in itself as there are mountains of trash in the streets in many areas) and gas and electric restoration. but cell service has been restored in most areas and still many customers have been left in the dark. you cant get through the phone lines to the utiliteis(im sure they are overwhelmed with calls, but still).
all in all we're trying to keep a stiff upper lip and just deal with it. im fortunate that my family is safe, but thre are many families that are still displaced and help, although they are doing the best they can, is still sorely needed.many have young children .hopefully the warm up this weekend(supposed to get into the 60s) will help ease the misery some are feeling.
its just frustration.all in all most people have a good attitude, and if this is the worst mother nature can throw at us, well, we'll just get through it.

Gray Blazer
11-08-2012, 09:45
Storms can bring some good, too. WOO, I loaded a new pic of Orange Lake in my gallery so you can see the difference a few months of rain and tropical storms can make to bust a drought. Notice the alligator (a real one) lurking.

atmilkman
11-08-2012, 09:48
On a lighter note, (we can do that here right, after all it's the cafe) when asked if they were union the Alabama workers responded Hell no! we're Confederate - do ya'll want power or not? :)

hikerboy57
11-08-2012, 09:48
by the way i see the big picture pretty clearly here.
i think if you had young children who are cold youd be pretty frustrated too. im not complaining and most here arent either. you cant shelter some 200000 displaced families. many are staying with friends and relatives who do have power and we're all doing our best to help out our neighbors.
so no we're not sitting here crying with our hands out. NYers are strong, beach people even stronger.
we're slowly seeing more gas supply opening up , but anothr 2 -3 weeks without power and heat.
well its just so darn frustrating.

WingedMonkey
11-08-2012, 09:50
I don't want that to happen! I would not have even mentioned it except that HB was talking about not getting power until Thanksgiving. Hopefully being buried in a thread with almost 7K post will keep it buried.

I probably wouldn't have noticed either, if I didn't have so many relatives that were lineman.

Pedaling Fool
11-08-2012, 09:54
How would you rate the response to clearing trash and restoring services?

I see the trash in the streets on the news and I think, why don't the start picking that stuff up, but I don't have the big picture, maybe there's a reason that's delaying them. Thoughts?

hikerboy57
11-08-2012, 10:07

I see the trash in the streets on the news and I think, why don't the start picking that stuff up, but I don't have the big picture, maybe there's a reason that's delaying them. Thoughts?
they are deploying every possible resource but the job is monumental, alot of people lost all they had, and furniture, traash are still piled high in the streets. its an enormously difficult task, and although we're coping the best we can, the frustration that it cant happen soon enough continues to grow.
the snow last night just exacerbates the situation, but itll melt quickly with a warmup on the way. we deal, what else can we do.
and well get through. community has never been stronger.

Pedaling Fool
11-08-2012, 10:17
Yeah, it's just a universal fact at how much time it takes to build up something compared to destroying it. Not an easy task to recover from total destruction.

hikerboy57
11-08-2012, 18:53
alright i just got a call from my landlady weve got our gas back on. probably wont have electric for another week or two, but some areas of long beach have alreaxdy had power restored, so e're making some headway.
ive been indulging a bit too much lately so its time to get back to some laughter. we're gonna get through this and laughter as they sy is the best medicine.
anybody know any non-hurricane related jokes?

turtle fast
11-08-2012, 19:32
It sounds like a good relaxing hike is in order once things get better patched up.

hikerboy57
11-08-2012, 20:07
It sounds like a good relaxing hike is in order once things get better patched up.

boy would i love to takea long hike right now, but my days off will be occupied for a while helping out down here. BUT, im trying to focus on my long walk next august, starting sobo from katahdin and this time ill see how far south i can get. my hike last august taught me a few lessons that i wont repeat, so im hoping at the very least to finish maine, and if im feeling good, continue south as far as i can. if i can get to connecticut or NY i would finish the southern half in 2014 (end of the world disasters permitting.)
cant wait to get out and hike again, we'll see how quickly we can get life back to normal.
on the plus side, they now say as many as 250,000 cars were totalled as a result of sandy, so business should be good for a while. i expect that home building business will be pretty robust as many homes have been or will be condemned.
the yin and the yang.
its all good.

keepinitsimple
11-08-2012, 20:44
In other news, I am attempting my personal best tomorrow. Might clock 20 miles when the day is done. Section 8 in PA Stoney Mtn to Suesquehanna R. Weather looks good. Took a personal day from work. Wife has the kids figured out for the day. Alarm set for 3AM. Packed. Stoked, can't wait. Probably won't sleep well. I will send some positve vibes to all those still suffering from the storm, union or non-union, Dem or Rep.

hikerboy57
11-08-2012, 20:54
In other news, I am attempting my personal best tomorrow. Might clock 20 miles when the day is done. Section 8 in PA Stoney Mtn to Suesquehanna R. Weather looks good. Took a personal day from work. Wife has the kids figured out for the day. Alarm set for 3AM. Packed. Stoked, can't wait. Probably won't sleep well. I will send some positve vibes to all those still suffering from the storm, union or non-union, Dem or Rep.
20 miles is awesome for a day hike. i wish i could be there to push you to 22!
if the forecast here is any indication, yiou should have perfect hiking weather.
enjjoy!

coach lou
11-08-2012, 21:55
We have 4 tree damage jobs in the shop and I've totaled 3 since the storm. I have not received any calls yet from the nor'easter. It was very bad driving last nite and folks normally drive their worst in the worst weather!

Astro
11-08-2012, 22:17
On a lighter note, (we can do that here right, after all it's the cafe) when asked if they were union the Alabama workers responded Hell no! we're Confederate - do ya'll want power or not? :)

That is awesome, I can't wait to share it with my students tomorrow!

Driver8
11-09-2012, 01:09
That is awesome, I can't wait to share it with my students tomorrow!

Hi Astro - Just noticed where you're from. Lifelong from the area? I grew up in Conway and my fam lived north of Jacksonville for a number of years, too.

Mountain Mike
11-09-2012, 03:16
I lived in Conway, AR for a few years.

hikerboy57
11-09-2012, 09:25
http://thecatholicspirit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/sandy.jpg

hikerboy57
11-09-2012, 09:29
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlfOV2Aj-qrYa5bNe7QooFNNPzSHXNjXRgksNu-tIrLYWJM1FwwA

hikerboy57
11-09-2012, 09:33
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQM64fP5BL5XWf85rQuHzOeCbxz02O1j UIzpe-AEDwbcjnF0BE1

coach lou
11-09-2012, 09:34
http://thecatholicspirit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/sandy.jpg

Hey, this guy looks like 'Snorz' from NJ

hikerboy57
11-09-2012, 10:51
things are slowly getting back to normal, or as normal as things can be. we should see our local economy booming now with all the houses that need to be rebuilt and some 250000 cars that were totalled, so theres an upside to all this.
gimme some jokes guys, does anyone remember laughter?

HikerMom58
11-09-2012, 12:59
Ok Soo...... we are loving the fact that keep us "in the know" about what is going on with u! :) If you want to laugh a bit... the instructional video on how to use bear spray is both very informative and really funny at the same time. It just made me laugh out loud... check it out!! :)

Sarcasm the elf
11-09-2012, 14:20
HB:

The preschool teacher says, "We're going to do vocabulary today. Who can use the word 'definitely' in a sentence?"

Mary raises her hand and exclaims, "Me me me!"

The teacher says, "Go ahead, what's the sentence?

Mary replies, "The sky is definitely blue."

"That's good, Mary," says the teacher, "but the sky can also be gray or white."

Sam raises his hand and states, "Grass is definitely green."

The teacher says, "That's good, Sam, but grass can be brown, too."

Little Johnny raises his hand and asks, "Do farts have lumps in them?"

The teacher says, "No Johnny, why do you ask that?"

Little Johnny replies, "Well, I definitely crapped my pants."

hikerboy57
11-09-2012, 14:33
im definitely lmao:)

Sarcasm the elf
11-09-2012, 14:42
Courtesy of Rodney Dangerfield:

I came from a real tough neighborhood. I bought a waterbed and found a guy at the bottom of it.

My wife had her drivers test the other day. She got 8 out of 10. The other 2 guys jumped clear.

I found there was only one way to look thin, hang out with fat people.

I'm so ugly... I worked in a pet shop, and people kept asking how big I'd get.

With my old man I got no respect. I asked him, "How can I get my kite in the air?" He told me to run off a cliff.

My old man, I told him I'm tired of running around in circles. So he nailed my other foot to the floor.

My wife's not too smart. I told her, our kids were spoiled. She said, "All kids smell that way."

A girl phoned me the other day and said, "Come on over, there's nobody home." I went over. Nobody was home.

I come from a stupid family. During the civil war my great uncle fought for the West.

I was such an ugly kid… when I played in the sandbox, the cat kept covering me up.

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

I got myself good this morning too. I did my pushups in the nude; I didn't see the mouse trap.

Last week I told my psychiatrist, "I keep thinking about suicide." He told me from now on I have to pay in advance.

I have nothing but troubles with my car. Every Sunday I take my family out for a push.

I drink too much. The last time I gave a urine sample it had an olive in it.

hikerboy57
11-09-2012, 14:46
little johnny comes home from school says "dad, dad youd be so proud, i was the only kid in kindergarten to recite the entire alphabet without making a mistake!"
dad says" of course son, you're from arkansas"
next day kid comes home and says Dad dad youd be so proud of me i was the only kid to count from 1 to 100 without a mistake!"dad says"of course son, thats cause youre from arkansas",
next day kid comes home says "dad, im confused , after gym in the showers i noticed im a lot bigger than the other kids is that cause im from arkansas?"
dad says no son thats because youre 18"

Sarcasm the elf
11-09-2012, 14:58
I've been surfing the web looking for more jokes. From what I've read this Little Johnny seems like a real piece of work!

snifur
11-09-2012, 17:24
little johnnys older brother is a real b@sta@rd and his sister, well; i should not say as the ladies in this joint get crabbie and sensitive.

HikerMom58
11-09-2012, 21:29
Say it- we won't "look"... LOL ;)

Wise Old Owl
11-09-2012, 21:40

John some of this was reveled in today's regular video local news. (with little explanation) Turns out they don't pick it up, they scraped it up with caterpillar equipment and moved it into large piles. I could tell someone has made a temporary sand bar on Long Island over the last three days to protect whats left.

Won't make a new post - I laughed my ass off with reading Rodney D. damn funny... thank you.

Mountain Mike
11-09-2012, 23:26
I was amazed went to Galveston, TX months after hurricane Ike. At the shore roads debris was stacked on both sides 6-8' tall. waiting for removal. There were still boats sitting besides the roads. It takes time to recover.

hikerboy57
11-09-2012, 23:38
They estimate over 250000 cars destroyed.think about how much ruined furniture carpets drywall loose lumber from who knows what.but its slowly getting done.dont know where theyre going to put all the trash.i dont think jersey will take it

snifur
11-09-2012, 23:39
HikerMom, if i said it, you would be the first to jump on it, rally your feminist troops and tear the cafe up in the overly sensitive, chaotic whirlwind that only the ladies can muster. I like this joint the way it is, well, except the bar stools. I am getting outta here and heading out to the Wichita Mountains for the weekend before you convince me to say what cannot be said. enjoy the Veterans Day weekend y'all!

Mountain Mike
11-09-2012, 23:42
Just relieved you are getting along so good HB & moving forward. They should move the burnable to the beach each night & have a bonfire party for the people. When I lived on Nantucket storms were constantly taking houses slowly. Eventually they became a controlled burn/training for the FD.

Mountain Mike
11-09-2012, 23:44
On the lighter side. Guy walks in the pharmacy, ask for three packs of condoms. Clerk asks him if he would like a bag. He replies no, she ain't that ugly.

Driver8
11-09-2012, 23:49
I lived in Conway, AR for a few years.

What time frame, MM? I grew up there from 1969 or so to 1984. Lived in Jacksonville the next year, then came to CT for college and since, with stints in Jacksonville and DC area.

Driver8
11-09-2012, 23:57
Two jokes, I made the first one up:

Q: In the kingdom of cats, what do they call an overthrow of the ruler?
Ans: A pout d'etat.

--------

So a blonde gets pulled over on the highway by a blonde cop.

Cop: May I see your license and registration, please?

Blonde: What are those?

Cop: Registration is a piece of paper with information about your car - most people keep it in their glove compartment. Licence is a thing with your picture on it - most people keep it in their pocketbook.

Blonde gets registration, hands it to cop, along with her compact. Cop looks at compact, says:

"I didn't know you are a cop! You can go free."

(blonde cop)

Mountain Mike
11-10-2012, 00:02
What time frame, MM? I grew up there from 1969 or so to 1984. Lived in Jacksonville the next year, then came to CT for college and since, with stints in Jacksonville and DC area.
We traveled some pretty close circles. Grew up in MA western till 84 then Nantucket till 98. Then worked out of Manchester, CT for a few years & somwhat commuted between Daytona & Manchester till I got married & 05 when Conway became my base state for about three years.

HikerMom58
11-10-2012, 01:29
HikerMom, if i said it, you would be the first to jump on it, rally your feminist troops and tear the cafe up in the overly sensitive, chaotic whirlwind that only the ladies can muster. I like this joint the way it is, well, except the bar stools. I am getting outta here and heading out to the Wichita Mountains for the weekend before you convince me to say what cannot be said. enjoy the Veterans Day weekend y'all!

Ok...I believe you. Random visitors to this joint, like myself, should not be tearing up the place. You know if you push my buttons that would surely happen.:p Happy Veterans Day weekend to you 2.

As far as the humor in this place... we need to see if ChinMusic approves. ;) Come on buddy-get in here and tell us some funny jokes. :)

WOO... you sent me a PM that didn't make any sense to me. I think you meant it for someone else. I'll send it back to ya ...
Night all..... Hi Driver8 :)

moytoy
11-10-2012, 08:12
things are slowly getting back to normal, or as normal as things can be. we should see our local economy booming now with all the houses that need to be rebuilt and some 250000 cars that were totalled, so theres an upside to all this.
gimme some jokes guys, does anyone remember laughter?
So a young female rock star was being interviewed by a local radio station. When ask if she abuses drugs or alcohol she replied " No, why would I abuse something I love".

nitewalker
11-10-2012, 08:44
hello all, i suppose its time to enter the cybercafe. hopefully it all goes well.

did u hear about the gay indian? he jumped into his canoe took 3 strokes and shot across the lake!!!

hikerboy57
11-10-2012, 08:52
was his name little Johnny strokes a lot?

nitewalker
11-10-2012, 09:00
i belive his indian name is johnny whiteblaze...

coach lou
11-10-2012, 12:22
Whoa, whoa, I thought the Wolf did the gay jokes around here!

Driver8
11-10-2012, 12:58
We traveled some pretty close circles. Grew up in MA western till 84 then Nantucket till 98. Then worked out of Manchester, CT for a few years & somwhat commuted between Daytona & Manchester till I got married & 05 when Conway became my base state for about three years.

How about that? You ever in CT or MA these days? If so, let me know - we could go for a hike. For the record, I was born in '66 in Hawaii. We moved to south Arkansas where my mom came from not long after, lived there three years until Conway move. Been here in CT since '94 with a short stretch in Ark in '97.

Driver8
11-10-2012, 13:00
Whoa, whoa, I thought the Wolf did the gay jokes around here!

Not that there's anything wrong with that. ...

Astro
11-10-2012, 19:24
Hi Astro - Just noticed where you're from. Lifelong from the area? I grew up in Conway and my fam lived north of Jacksonville for a number of years, too.

Driver8,
I grew up in Southern Florida and spent 20 years in Texas (Sherman and mostly Houston). Moved back to teach at Harding University (where I did my undergrad) almost 10 years ago.

Wise Old Owl
11-10-2012, 19:51
They estimate over 250000 cars destroyed.think about how much ruined furniture carpets drywall loose lumber from who knows what.but its slowly getting done.dont know where theyre going to put all the trash.i dont think jersey will take it

My best guess is you cant get all the brackish water damage out of the circuit boards and computers... I heard the BMW has some 30 little computers throughout the body.

hikerboy57
11-10-2012, 20:05
Even a chevy has over 30.my exwifes honda crosstour actually exploded. but forget about cars for a second imagine that many ruined living rooms basement bedrooms whole houses. that's a lot of trash. maybe we can create a barrier island to protect the barrier islands.

Wise Old Owl
11-10-2012, 20:31
Sorry to hear that.

Some people need to get real about what is important - electrical panels in basements at the shore? I have a similar problem with my dad's shore home it 6 feet above sea level...in fact the first few times I went there the Gps said I was below sea level so I read a lot about calibration. (took it to the beach and reset it) found out after a discussion - no flood insurance-hmmm,

hikerboy57
11-10-2012, 20:38
it's already being talked about. some buildings in Manhattan or even taking their boilers in moving them up to the sixth floor. we'd never ever got hit as hard is this time there is certainly a lot we can learn.lipas computers are 25 years old and 6 years ago they cut back their budget on tree trimming and pull maintenance.pole maintenance. excuse the Droid grammar I'm too tired to edit. but there's a lot to be learned from this experience and will build it stronger and better our local economy will be booming within the next few months.
but where do we put the trash?

hikerboy57
11-10-2012, 20:40
our store in Freeport sold over 50 cars today.

Driver8
11-10-2012, 21:12
Driver8,
I grew up in Southern Florida and spent 20 years in Texas (Sherman and mostly Houston). Moved back to teach at Harding University (where I did my undergrad) almost 10 years ago.

Cool. I have a friend or two who went to Harding in the 80s. What do you teach, if you don't mind my asking?

Wise Old Owl
11-10-2012, 21:27
HB I had the rare opportunity to visit the basement of a top named hotel's basement on Broad St. Philadelphia and saw three "portable" Boilers from Chicago that ran on coal that at one time was delivered thru the subway prior to WW2. They were larger than train engines. Cant imagine how to move them to the 6th floor...

Wow a earthquake in Ky! 4.3 right now.

hikerboy57
11-10-2012, 21:39
are earthquakes in Kentucky common? I long for the good ol days. like a couple of months ago. I wish I knew if the world was actually coming to an end so I could max out my credit cards and go hiking

Astro
11-10-2012, 23:17
Cool. I have a friend or two who went to Harding in the 80s. What do you teach, if you don't mind my asking?

I teach Project Management and Information Systems classes in the College of Business. My BS from Harding in 1984 was in Computer Science, then later got an MBA and PhD. Spent over 20 years in the High Tech Industry with Texas Instruments, Compaq, and Hewlett Packard.

turtle fast
11-10-2012, 23:33
On boilers now instead of having a giant one, it is more common to "link" together smaller units to make the capacity of a large one. That way if one or two go down, they can be bypassed and the loss of one in the system will not completely shut a building down. However, the old style boilers are going extinct...geothermal extraction and heat pumps are the future...though like in geothermal quite expensive.

moytoy
11-11-2012, 02:55
Wow a earthquake in Ky! 4.3 right now.
My family reports tremors in Maryville, Tn so it probably was felt by anyone on the southern AT as well.

Rasty
11-11-2012, 12:39
On boilers now instead of having a giant one, it is more common to "link" together smaller units to make the capacity of a large one. That way if one or two go down, they can be bypassed and the loss of one in the system will not completely shut a building down. However, the old style boilers are going extinct...geothermal extraction and heat pumps are the future...though like in geothermal quite expensive.

Two different methods for Geothermal. The less expensive method is a continuous loop of PEX pipe buried below the frost line. Drilling straight down gets expensive.

hikerboy57
11-11-2012, 13:01
a blonde is hiking in the woods when she comes to a stream too high and too deep for her to ford. she hikes downstream to find the way across but cant. she finally sees another blonde across the stream, and yells excuse me but how do you get to the other side? the other blonde yelled back you're on the other side.

Wise Old Owl
11-11-2012, 13:29
are earthquakes in Kentucky common? I long for the good ol days. like a couple of months ago. I wish I knew if the world was actually coming to an end so I could max out my credit cards and go hiking

18069 Its the end of the world and we know it...... :eek: wish I could get ....the song on here....

Wise Old Owl
11-11-2012, 13:38
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOvmV6TEEOn_ZeDH6gZXczephJEbnKM iG8u7FbScp2Fo9ECxhInDgwMP4uOk we have to work on the humor....

A group of friends went out rambling one day and decided to pair off in twos for the afternoon. That evening one of them returned alone, staggering under the weight of a heavy rucksack.
'Where's Bertram?' the other ramblers ask.
Bertram's mate, Ronald, replied, 'Bertram must have had a heart attack. He just keeled over and died a couple of miles back up the path.'
The other ramblers gasped and then one of them asked, 'You left Bertram laying out there and carried the rucksack back?'
'It was a difficult decision,' agreed Ronald. 'But I thought that nobody would steal Bertram.'

Hey its the first time I tried a childs book for a signature... any thoughts?

hikerboy57
11-12-2012, 10:03
believe it or not, there appears to be a shortage of via on long island, had to go to 3 starbucks to find some.
without electricity, the keurig doesnt really work well

coach lou
11-12-2012, 10:09
believe it or not, there appears to be a shortage of via on long island, had to go to 3 starbucks to find some.
without electricity, the keurig doesnt really work well
Now you see why my pack is so heavy

Gray Blazer
11-12-2012, 11:21
Now you see why my pack is so heavy

That microwave doesn't help.

coach lou
11-12-2012, 11:38
That microwave doesn't help.

My bust I should have elaborated, I do sometimes bring a press, but I like my beans ground fresh. So, the electric grinder needs a large motorcycle battery. But, after I put the mud pie in the fridge, there is no room for half & half.

keepinitsimple
11-12-2012, 14:26
Hey man, thanks for the kind words. We did from rt 325 south to the Susquehanna R. Truned out to be 16.7 miles I think- but it was still my best. the last mile or two beat me down bad. I ran out of water and got real sloppy. Now I know waht to prepare for next time. To be mentally ready for the last few miles.

hikerboy57
11-12-2012, 15:35
I learn something new on every trip.

Rasty
11-12-2012, 15:47
I learn something new on every trip.

You may get to see gourmet cooking done on a alcohol stove next summer! Can you say Cheese tortellini with chicken, basil pesto and vegetables and parmesan cheese. 8 minute cook time on 1 ounce of Heet. I've been working on some new recipes also for breakfast smoothies.

coach lou
11-12-2012, 15:50
You may get to see gourmet cooking done on a alcohol stove next summer! Can you say Cheese tortellini with chicken, basil pesto and vegetables and parmesan cheese. 8 minute cook time on 1 ounce of Heet. I've been working on some new recipes also for breakfast smoothies.

Can you make cheesecake?

Rasty
11-12-2012, 15:51
Can you make cheesecake?

French or Italian or Philly?

coach lou
11-12-2012, 15:52
French or Italian or Philly?

Brownie on the bottom is my fav.

coach lou
11-12-2012, 15:54
Wait, I just realized ...it'll be August! Blueberrie Pie!!!!:banana .........."when in Rome"!!!!!

Rasty
11-12-2012, 15:56
Brownie on the bottom is my fav.

I like a more traditional cheesecake with Graham cracker crust. I really like a combination of Ricotta Impastata, cream cheese and sour cream. Super creamy and not as heavy as a Philly style.

Old Hiker
11-12-2012, 15:59
My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.

I'll tell ya, my wife and I, we don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless, and I donate money to the topless!

One night I came home. I figured, let my wife come on. I'll play it cool. Let her make the first move. She went to Florida.

I asked my old man if I could go ice-skating on the lake. He told me, "Wait til it gets warmer."

My doctor told me to watch my drinking. Now I drink in front of a mirror. I drink too much. Way too much. My doctor drew blood. He ran a tab.

When I was born the doctor came out to the waiting room and said to my father, "I'm very sorry. We did everything we could...but he pulled through."

My father was stupid. He worked in a bank and they caught him stealing pens.

My mother had morning sickness after I was born.

My mother never breast fed me. She told me that she only liked me as a friend.

My father carries around the picture of the kid who came with his wallet.

When I played in the sandbox the cat kept covering me up.

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

One year they wanted to make me poster boy... for birth control.

I remember the time I was kidnapped and they sent back a piece of my finger to my father. He said he wanted more proof.

My uncle's dying wish was to have me sitting on his lap. He was in the electric chair.

One time I went to a hotel. I asked the bellhop to handle my bag. He felt up my wife!

This morning when I put on my underwear I could hear the Fruit of the Loom guys laughing at me.

I'm a bad lover. Once I caught a peeping tom booing me.

My wife only has sex with me for a purpose. Last night she used me to time an egg.

It's tough to stay married. My wife kisses the dog on the lips, yet she won't drink from my glass!

My wife isn't very bright. The other day she was at the store, and just as she was heading for our car, someone stole it! I said, "Did you see the guy that did it?" She said, "No, but I got the license plate."

Last night my wife met me at the front door. She was wearing a sexy negligee. The only trouble was, she was coming home.

A girl phoned me and said, "Come on over. There's nobody home." I went over. Nobody was home!

A hooker once told me she had a headache.

I went to a massage parlor. It was self service.

If it weren't for pick-pocketers, I'd have no sex life at all.
Once when I was lost I saw a policeman and asked him to help me find my parents. I said to him, "Do you think we'll ever find them?" He said, "I don't know kid. There are so many places they can hide."

I remember I was so depressed I was going to jump out a window on the tenth floor. They sent a priest up to talk to me. He said, "On your mark..."

When my old man wanted sex, my mother would show him a picture of me.

I had a lot of pimples too. One day I fell asleep in a library. I woke up and a blind man was reading my face.

My wife made me join a bridge club. I jump off next Tuesday.

Last week my tie caught on fire. Some guy tried to put it out with an ax!

I met the surgeon general. He offered me a cigarette.

I was making love to this girl and she started crying. I said, "Are you going to hate yourself in the morning?" She said, "No, I hate myself now."

I knew a girl so ugly that she was known as a two-bagger. That's when you put a bag over your head in case the bag over her head breaks.

I knew a girl so ugly, they use her in prisons to cure sex offenders.

I knew a girl so ugly, I took her to the top of the Empire State building and planes started to attack her.

I knew a girl so ugly, the last time I saw a mouth like hers it had a hook on the end of it.

I knew a girl so ugly, she had a face like a saint--a Saint Bernard!

I was tired one night and I went to the bar to have a few drinks. The bartender asked me, "What'll you have?" I said, "Surprise me." He showed me a naked picture of my wife.

During sex my wife always wants to talk to me. Just the other night she called me from a hotel.

My marriage is on the rocks again. Yeah, my wife just broke up with her boyfriend.

One day as I came home early from work, I saw a guy jogging naked. I said to the guy, "Hey buddy...why are you doing that for?" He said, "Because you came home early."

I went to see my doctor... Doctor Vidi-boom-ba. Yeah...I told him once, "Doctor, every morning when I get up and look in the mirror I feel like throwing up. What's wrong with me? He said, "I don't know, but your eyesight is perfect."

I told my dentist my teeth are going yellow. He told me to wear a brown necktie.

My psychiatrist told me I'm going crazy. I told him, "If you don't mind, I'd like a second opinion." He said, "All right. You're ugly too!"

I was so ugly, my mother used to feed me with a slingshot!

When I was born the doctor took one look at my face, turned me over and said, "Look, twins!"

And we were poor too. Why, if I wasn't born a boy, I'd have nothing to play with!With my wife I don't get no respect. I made a toast on her birthday to 'the best woman a man ever had.' The waiter joined me.

I'm not a sexy guy. I went to a hooker. I dropped my pants. She dropped her price.

I tell you, I'm not a sexy guy. I was the centerfold for Playgirl magazine. The staples covered everything!

What a childhood I had, why, when I took my first step, my old man tripped me!

Last week I told my psychiatrist, "I keep thinking about suicide." He told me from now on I have to pay in advance.

I tell ya when I was a kid, all I knew was rejection. My yo-yo, it never came back!

Oh, when I was a kid in show business I was poor. I used to go to orgies to eat the grapes.

When I was a kid I got no respect. The time I was kidnapped, and the kidnappers sent my parents a note they said, "We want five thousand dollars or you'll see your kid again."

I tell ya, my wife was never nice. On our first date, I asked her if I could give her a goodnight kiss on the cheek - she bent over!

I tell you, with my doctor, I don't get no respect. I told him, "I've swallowed a bottle of sleeping pills." He told me to have a few drinks and get some rest.

Some dog I got too. We call him Egypt because he leaves a pyramid in every room.

With my dog I don't get no respect. He keeps barking at the front door. He don't want to go out. He wants me to leave.

What a dog I got. His favorite bone is in my arm!

Last week I saw my psychiatrist. I told him, "Doc, I keep thinking I'm a dog." He told me to get off his couch.

I worked in a pet store and people kept asking how big I'd get.

1azarus
11-12-2012, 16:22
turns out i have a funny story to tell and an excuse for my first cafe post. just went for a hike with my daughter and her two dogs -- a chubby little rat terrier mutt and a "noble" lumbering bernese mountain dog. I like to try new trails, so we were on our way up an abandoned road into the north end of West Rock Park in Hamden CT -- passing a couple of abandoned houses, I said "you probably shouldn't hike here alone..." So, the big dumb dog walks off leash fine, the little one not so much... but the little one is getting older, and my daughter gave the "no leash" thing a try. Went fine for about a mile and a half, then the rat dog took off, down the hill from a ridge on the Regicides Trail. Over another ridge, and gone! The three of us walk after the rat dog for awhile -- the woods are pretty easy to see through with the leaves down... and ... nothing. Big dumb is tired. Choices: wait where we are and pray. walk about 3/4 of a mile downhill to a road with Big Dumb, knowing there's no way the bernese will make it down AND back up the hill and back to the car. split up -- daughter and bernese hike back to the car where my daughter can call me on her cell phone (damn -- she left it in the car!) , I bushwhack through the woods, look for the rat dog, and meet her -- with or without the dog -- at the road below. We go with option #3, for better or worse. I do the easy gravity-defined fall line walk for about a half mile, and by miracle, find the rat dog hanging out in a stream, as happy as can be, although clearly a bit tired. Almost walked right past him. He lets me put him on leash and we walk out ... passing someone's secret stash of bee hives on the way -- very cool! I get to the road, then start worrying about my daughter! gets to the point where i've decided to call the police in 15 minutes, my cell phone rings, she did make it back to the car, picks me up... adventure over, with a way happier ending then we could ever have hoped for. no more free jaunts for that rat dog.

Wise Old Owl
11-12-2012, 21:32
I am sure this is going to upset people - but I listen to National Publick Radio a lot and they reported last week something like this

"A quarter of Japan’s tsunami relief fund has been spent on unrelated projects, including renovating a government office and subsiding whaling. The revelations have ignited outcry as more than 320,000 tsunami victims remain displaced.

"The expenditure was identified after the publication of an independent government-backed audit into the allocation of the $150 billion relief fund, created after the earthquake and tsunami of March last year.

The fund intended not only to restore damaged cities, but to “reinvigorate Japan”, stimulating local economies into recover. Nevertheless, the relevance of some of the funded projects have been raising eyebrows.

Among the expenses listed are $30 million dollars to protect Japan’s yearly whale hunt from environmental activists, $380,000 to promote Tokyo Sky Tree, the world’s tallest free-standing broadcast tower, free training for fighter pilots and a subsidy for a contact-lens factory located nowhere near the site of the disaster-hit coast."

“Taxpayers accepted tax hikes because they thought the money would go to disaster victims and the disaster victims were grateful,” said Kuniko Tanioka, who is a member of a group that studied the expenses in the Upper House of the Diet, Japan’s parliament."

Yup we gave the Japanese - 150 billion and not one $1 went to the rebuilding of the towns lost on the coast - we started up the whale hunt again.... Can't blame that on Bush.... Shuffles feet ... "I apologize for that."

Now what would happen if NJ and NY got 1.5 BILLION of our tzx dollars?

coach lou
11-12-2012, 21:55
OLD HIKER...........what do you do for work now that you aren't writing for Rodney???:rolleyes:..................:D

Sarcasm the elf
11-12-2012, 22:04
I had enough of this hurricane nor'easter nonsense, thought give Turks and Caicos a try for a week

So far I recommend it...

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/12825_10152232707265024_1671388782_n.jpg?dl=1

hikerboy57
11-12-2012, 22:27
I'm not sure about New Jersey but Long Island hasn't had a whaling industry in quite a few years now

Mountain Mike
11-12-2012, 22:36
Darn I was hoping Rasty could make up some fried whale blubber for a new appetizer at the cafe.

hikerboy57
11-12-2012, 22:40
scrimshaw hiking sticks would be nice.

hikerboy57
11-12-2012, 22:43
I don't believe it's possible to throw a bullet hard enough to do much damage to a whale.

Mountain Mike
11-12-2012, 22:51
I was thinking hiking poles & bear bag rope.

Mountain Mike
11-12-2012, 22:51
Where Is Kayak Karl when we need him?

Rasty
11-12-2012, 22:56
Darn I was hoping Rasty could make up some fried whale blubber for a new appetizer at the cafe.

One of the few animals that comes with its own deep frying fat. Add some fresh ginger, garlic and soy sauce and we have a meal.

Rasty
11-12-2012, 23:03
Where Is Kayak Karl when we need him?

Do you hate Kayak Karl? :confused:

Mountain Mike
11-12-2012, 23:04
Just need him to catch the whale.

Rasty
11-12-2012, 23:26
Just need him to catch the whale.

Have you ever seen the video of the whale landing on top of the kayaker?

hikerboy57
11-12-2012, 23:28

are you going to leave us hanging?

Mountain Mike
11-12-2012, 23:34
I'm not asking that he goes after a right or sperm whale. A nice beluga would keep us in appetizers for a while & some food for the polar bear to boot.

hikerboy57
11-12-2012, 23:43
Enter music raffis baby beluga

Mountain Mike
11-12-2012, 23:47
HB are you taking advantage of your situation to see how long cheese lasts without refrigeration?

Rasty
11-12-2012, 23:53

are you going to leave us hanging?

Try google!:D

hikerboy57
11-12-2012, 23:55
I can tell you it didn't last long enough. although most areas here already have power back Island Park and Oceanside may not have it on for another month. although the supermarkets are open I can't buy any food that might spoil. so it has been a little like camping out every night. I can even see stars.

OzJacko
11-13-2012, 05:37
I grew up in Albany on our south coast and the whaling station there was active until I was in my twenties.
Even briefly had a summer job in the fertiliser bagging section.
The place really stank!

OzJacko
11-13-2012, 06:11
This isn't political but Hilary Rodham Clinton affected my work day today.
One of the things my work does is deliver clean and remove soiled linen to some of Perth's hotels.
Today before I could finish taking away the soiled at one of them some guys in suits with lapel badges showing an Australian and a USA flag and wires coming from the ears into their jackets asked me to move on.....
Thought if I protested it might affect my visa application for 2013....:D

Gray Blazer
11-13-2012, 08:49
Some orange juice and an order of Zicam, please. Thank you.

hikerboy57
11-13-2012, 08:54
Zicam really works!best placebo on the market.

coach lou
11-13-2012, 09:14
I circled Minneapolis Airport once for and hour. When we got off, we found out that all flights were landing and taking off from one side, and that the other side and runway was closed because Airforce 1 and W was on the other side. That was after a 6 hr delay in the AM for the 'Fly-by-Wire' became detached, and then finally out on the tarmac, to wait another 45 mins for the thunderstorms to clear. Apon boarding the flight out of Minn., we had to wait 30 more minutes on the tarmac because some agent did not give the plane the total cargo weight, and then went home for the night! For this trip I was all set... I had weaseled an extra day to fly out to Montana, and spent it flying!

Old Hiker
11-13-2012, 10:17
OLD HIKER...........what do you do for work now that you aren't writing for Rodney???:rolleyes:..................:D

I don't write, just steal.............., I mean, re-publish the material. The funniest thing I have going for ME is my face. And that usually just scares the smaller kids.

Train Wreck
11-13-2012, 14:48
Just stopping by for a minute to charge up my cell phone.

coach lou
11-13-2012, 14:53
Not even going to buy a round of Mashed taters, I'll bet

Train Wreck
11-13-2012, 14:55
Not even going to buy a round of Mashed taters, I'll bet

Nope! I just hope Rasty paid that overdue power bill.

Rasty
11-13-2012, 14:57
Nope! I just hope Rasty paid that overdue power bill.

Why do I have to do everything around here?

turtle fast
11-13-2012, 15:03
Why pay a bill? Did not somebody install a hamsters exercise wheel with attached generator. Where did that hamster go...we may need to replace him with a shelter mouse.

Rasty
11-13-2012, 15:11
Why pay a bill? Did not somebody install a hamsters exercise wheel with attached generator. Where did that hamster go...we may need to replace him with a shelter mouse.

It's a single phase hampster wheel. The mashed potato machine is a three phase machine. We ordered a bear wheel but it can't get it until the 2013 capital budget is approved. Without Rocketsocks we have not had a quarum at the board meeting.

Train Wreck
11-13-2012, 15:19
E

Um, er, I think the hamster went into the Saturday special.
Hamstburgers!

turtle fast
11-13-2012, 16:34
3 phase electric...maybe cheaper to get the bear wheel with an army of shelter mice.

Wise Old Owl
11-13-2012, 19:50
scrimshaw hiking sticks would be nice.

I happen to have Scrimshaw Skill and real Elephant bone for inserts on walking sticks

No this is not a joke - _ I have 52 pieces of real Elephant bone/teeth from 1945.

Wise Old Owl
11-13-2012, 20:33
Ok about the other post about whales... apparently folks forgot ... Whale Wars the series on Animal Planet. Where Paul Watson put the Japanese industry out of business, by documentary where Australia - and Animal Planet people over three years got the world involved in not hunting whales.
http://animal.discovery.com/tv/whale-wars/meet-the-crew/

I urge you all to look this up and if you cant hug trees at least know something about whales.

hikerboy57
11-13-2012, 21:07
I had completely forgotten about the whales. how long does whale blubber last on the trail? can you make whale blubber jerky?

Rasty
11-13-2012, 21:29
I had completely forgotten about the whales. how long does whale blubber last on the trail? can you make whale blubber jerky?

It rots but that makes it taste better!

turtle fast
11-13-2012, 23:18
Blubber smubber, that is for Norwegians and Eskimoes. Real Norwegian people eat Lutifisk!

Mountain Mike
11-13-2012, 23:19
Does anyone know the fat calories to weight ratio for whale blubber? I want to add it to my spreadsheet.

JAK
11-13-2012, 23:22
Fat is fat so I'm guessing 9cal per gram, less 0-10% depending on water content.

hikerboy57
11-13-2012, 23:52
Blubber smubber, that is for Norwegians and Eskimoes. Real Norwegian people eat Lutifisk!

well then imglad im not a norwegian

Train Wreck
11-13-2012, 23:54
well then imglad im not a norwegian

so what are you then, a newyorkian?

hikerboy57
11-13-2012, 23:58

its newyawka.

Rasty
11-14-2012, 00:18

its newyawka.

So what am I?

We say yous'al

Train Wreck
11-14-2012, 00:21
So what am I?

We say yous'al

I dunno, a misplaced mutt? :D

Train Wreck
11-14-2012, 00:25
Speaking of whales, were either of you guys ever forced to read Moby Dick in high school?
Whale hunting, crusty old sailors, a whole chapter on the merits of blubber...Can you think of anything a 16 year old girl would want to read less??

Wise Old Owl
11-14-2012, 00:43
well then imglad im not a norwegianhttp://i1.cpcache.com/product/297567408/i_love_norwegian_girls_shirt.jpg?height=380&width=380http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3012/3060775656_ed5e4bc7e2.jpg

Wise Old Owl
11-14-2012, 00:57
Speaking of whales, were either of you guys ever forced to read Moby Dick in high school?
Whale hunting, crusty old sailors, a whole chapter on the merits of blubber...Can you think of anything a 16 year old girl would want to read less??

no it was Salinger a rude idiot.... TW---- An Irish Though bred was a better choice.

Gray Blazer
11-14-2012, 08:04
http://i1.cpcache.com/product/297567408/i_love_norwegian_girls_shirt.jpg?height=380&width=380http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3012/3060775656_ed5e4bc7e2.jpg

Is that HikerBoy in back on the right?

Driver8
11-14-2012, 10:20
So what am I?

Chopped liver. :D <rimshot>

Driver8
11-14-2012, 10:21

A magnificent novel, one of the best ever written in the English language.

Rasty
11-14-2012, 11:00
Chopped liver. :D <rimshot>

I love chopped liver!

hikerboy57
11-14-2012, 11:29

Today is actually the anniversary of the date it was originally published

Sarcasm the elf
11-14-2012, 12:43

You could very well be correct, but most of us would never know. In school they assign the great literary works to students that are usually far too young to appreciate them.

Freshman year of high school I thought that Shakespeare was an arrogant hack. It wasn't until my junior year in university that I was assigned Othello and finally began to appreciate the brilliance of his writing style,

Train Wreck
11-14-2012, 13:03
You could very well be correct, but most of us would never know. In school they assign the great literary works to students that are usually far too young to appreciate them.

Not too many people of any age want or need a blow by blow description of how to skin a whale, dip the oil off the brain, and cut blubber into strips graded by quality, etc.
I much preferred Bubba Gump's discourse on the joys of cooking shrimp.

Rasty
11-14-2012, 13:05
Not too many people of any age want or need a blow by blow description of how to skin a whale, dip the oil off the brain, and cut blubber into strips graded by quality, etc.

Your description makes me want to read it or even better to join a Inuit whaling crew for my next vacation.

Driver8
11-14-2012, 14:32
Today is actually the anniversary of the date it was originally published

Originally published in the U.S., that is. It was first published, altogether, the month earlier, on October 18, 1851. I happen to remember this b/c that's 115 years to the day before I was born, and I wrote my senior essay in high school English on the book. It's an extraordinary work - I think of it whenever I go to Greylock, since Melville loved that mountain and thought that, as viewed from the south at his Arrowhead Farm outside Pittsfield, the Greylock Range resembled a sperm whale much like the object of Ahab's obsession.

Driver8
11-14-2012, 14:36

Freshman year of high school I thought that Shakespeare was an arrogant hack. It wasn't until my junior year in university that I was assigned Othello and finally began to appreciate the brilliance of his writing style,

Personally, for what it's worth, I loved Shakespeare from the first reading of Romeo and Juliet, and even before, from the first time I saw it performed. Olivier's Hamlet is one of my favorite films and that play is my favorite literary work. Moby-Dick, to me, soars at points to levels seldom reached by others but frequently reached by the Bard, in Hamlet and elsewhere. I've been meaning for a while to go on one of my periodic Shakespeare kicks. I think this winter will be the time for that.

Driver8
11-14-2012, 14:39

I've found it enjoyable to listen to Moby-Dick on audio when taking longer drives out to hike - Whites, Vermont, Greylock. It's nice to let the mind drift into that world while heading out to bathe in nature's splendor.

PS: More in reply to Elf. I agree with you that more people should see and experience more of Shakespeare as adults, not just in high school. Deeply engaging and enriching, and the wisdom of years and experience only adds to one's enjoyment.

Driver8
11-14-2012, 14:40
I love chopped liver!

Just goes to show that you are what you eat. :D

Train Wreck
11-14-2012, 14:52
Your description makes me want to read it or even better to join a Inuit whaling crew for my next vacation.

You'd be happier if you just get the Cliffs Notes and go to Sea World!

Rasty
11-14-2012, 15:04
You'd be happier if you just get the Cliffs Notes and go to Sea World!

Sea World has whale hunting now? Cool!

Driver8
11-14-2012, 15:20
Sea World has whale hunting now? Cool!

Oh, just blubber on about it. ...

Train Wreck
11-14-2012, 16:14
Oh, just blubber on about it. ...

Wise Old Owl
11-14-2012, 17:55
How do you make a whale cry? call it a old blowhole......:rolleyes:

Rasty
11-14-2012, 22:02
Does the cafe offer employees life insurance?

hikerboy57
11-14-2012, 22:09
Does the cafe offer employees life insurance?

Yes,but there are disclaimers.only the insured can collect

Sarcasm the elf
11-14-2012, 22:14
And another gun thread bites the dust...

If only they knew the proper way to throw their five bullets.

hikerboy57
11-14-2012, 22:28
Give the guns to the homeless.let them hunt for food to cook on their stoves.

hikerboy57
11-14-2012, 22:32
never mind once we catch that white whale there will be plenty of fried whale blubber to go around.

Rasty
11-14-2012, 22:38
never mind once we catch that white whale there will be plenty of fried whale blubber to go around.

Can I have the wishbone?

hikerboy57
11-14-2012, 22:41
are you sure you can handle a wishbone of that size?
what the heck you wishin 4 anyway?

Mountain Mike
11-14-2012, 22:41
Moby is a sperm whale. So when we catch him if we get oil inserts for our candle lanterns we can light the Cafe too!

hikerboy57
11-14-2012, 22:43
rasty I was thinking me and you could split the 5 bullets when we were in Maine I don't see any reason for us to need 5 a piece.

Mountain Mike
11-14-2012, 22:44
rasty I was thinking me and you could split the 5 bullets when we were in Maine I don't see any reason for us to need 5 a piece.

Nice to have a hiking partner to share weight.

hikerboy57
11-14-2012, 22:45
Moby is a sperm whale. So when we catch him if we get oil inserts for our candle lanterns we can light the Cafe too!

I don't think a well lit Cafe is a good idea

Rasty
11-14-2012, 22:45

I'll carry 2

HikerMom58
11-14-2012, 22:47
He's prob. wishing he could go hiking again right away... that's what we all wish we could do. :D

Wise Old Owl
11-14-2012, 22:49
Wish for a larger pack? So whats going on folks.

Train Wreck
11-14-2012, 22:49

Be sure to catch him while he's in a good mood...18097

HikerMom58
11-14-2012, 22:52
Wish for a larger pack? So whats going on folks.

I just commented on your comment.....

hikerboy57
11-14-2012, 22:56

I could use some of those candle lanterns at home. I may be without power for another couple of weeks. there is a shortage of electrical parts
. in the meantime I have 15 scented candles all balsam fir.. I'm sitting in my car right now charging my droid.

HikerMom58
11-14-2012, 22:57
I have to say I much prefer to "chat" via Facebook.. this forum is painnnnfully slow..

hikerboy57
11-14-2012, 22:58
I'll carry 2

kinda figured. but you have to carry the mud cake."

HikerMom58
11-14-2012, 23:00
I could use some of those candle lanterns at home. I may be without power for another couple of weeks. there is a shortage of electrical parts
. in the meantime I have 15 scented candles all balsam fir.. I'm sitting in my car right now charging my droid.

Oh... I have a bunch of those candle lanterns I would love to let you use. :( Oh I bet your place smells great... getting in the Christmas mood, huh?

hikerboy57
I have to say I much prefer to "chat" via Facebook.. this forum is painnnnfully slow..

I continue to resist

Mountain Mike
Darn weather guessers never mentioned possibility of aurora boreialis here last night & saw awesome pics of it on news today. Wish I knew since I barely slept last night.

Rasty
11-14-2012, 23:02

I continue to resist

What's Facebook?

HikerMom58
11-14-2012, 23:03
I continue to resist

No way.... no way!! :p

Darn weather guessers never mentioned possibility of aurora boreialis here last night & saw awesome pics of it on news today. Wish I knew since I barely slept last night.

Awww..... sorry to hear that!

HikerMom58
11-14-2012, 23:04
What's Facebook?

Oh bother!! :rolleyes: :)

Mountain Mike
11-14-2012, 23:04
Picture of it at Mt Washington summit last nigh taken by observatory crew. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151149101149685&set=a.10151149100814685.470281.11654109684&type=1&theater

hikerboy57
11-14-2012, 23:05
Oh... I have a bunch of those candle lanterns I would love to let you use. :( Oh I bet your place smells great... getting in the Christmas mood, huh?

the place smells terrific I'm sleeping in my wm highlight. if it gets too cold I will use my winter bag. we've got a generator hooked up to the hot water heater so I've got a hot shower in the morning.

HikerMom58
11-14-2012, 23:08
the place smells terrific I'm sleeping in my wm highlight. if it gets too cold I will use my winter bag. we've got a generator hooked up to the hot water heater so I've got a hot shower in the morning.

You are amazing.. I don't know how you've managed to cope like that for so long. I'm glad you have a generator at least.. how's the rest of the family?

hikerboy57
11-14-2012, 23:12
I'm actually a little fried but we're coping pretty well. my son in law just picked up his new Camaro SS today my daughter is picking up her equinox tomorrow. how are has been restored to most of Long Island. for the rest of us it's going to take a little longer. my daughter has power at her place and that's where the baby is so everybody is nice and warm. and I can deal with it

HikerMom58
11-14-2012, 23:13
Picture of it at Mt Washington summit last nigh taken by observatory crew. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151149101149685&set=a.10151149100814685.470281.11654109684&type=1&theater

Mountain Mike... that's beautiful!! I "liked" the page as well.... thanks! :) I'm Karen btw... aka HikerMomKD. Nice to "meet" you. :)

Mountain Mike
11-14-2012, 23:15
Nice to meet you too Karen.

HikerMom58
11-14-2012, 23:16
I'm actually a little fried but we're coping pretty well. my son in law just picked up his new Camaro SS today my daughter is picking up her equinox tomorrow. how are has been restored to most of Long Island. for the rest of us it's going to take a little longer. my daughter has power at her place and that's where the baby is so everybody is nice and warm. and I can deal with it

Well, that's a lot of great news!! :) I saw where you said they are waiting on parts for ur power. Will things be back to normal by Thanksgiving Day for you? I certainly hope so... it's only 1 week away.

HikerMom58
11-14-2012, 23:18
Nice to meet you too Karen.

... :) I see you live in SD...I've never been there. I've heard it's beautiful.

Mountain Mike
11-14-2012, 23:18
HB can work his way up on his backpacking stove. Start with cornish game hens, then a chicken & finally a turkey.

Mountain Mike
11-14-2012, 23:20
I just moved here this year but yes the Black Hills are Beautiful. I have missed the mountains after spending many years in FL. Looking forward to ice climbing & snowshoeing again. ( I grew up in New England).

HikerMom58
11-14-2012, 23:23
( I grew up in New England). No way.. Me 2... I grew up in N.H. what state in NE?

HikerMom58
11-14-2012, 23:27
HB can work his way up on his backpacking stove. Start with cornish game hens, then a chicken & finally a turkey.

LOL... he needs a nice Thanksgiving dinner with all the fixings!! :)

Mountain Mike
11-14-2012, 23:28
MA, but spent a lot of time camping in the Whites & spent a lot of time in Berlin growing up since my father is from there.

Mountain Mike
11-14-2012, 23:30
LOL... he needs a nice Thanksgiving dinner with all the fixings!! :)

He may be better off with charcoal & a dutch oven. Not much you can't make with that combo.

coach lou
11-14-2012, 23:37
My wife, 'Overload', would take her dutch oven if it would fit in her pack. She cooks everything in it.

HikerMom58
11-14-2012, 23:39
MA, but spent a lot of time camping in the Whites & spent a lot of time in Berlin growing up since my father is from there.

Ok... that's cool. :) I was born in Nashua NH which is close to MA. I lived in Littleton NH which is really close to the Whites. :) Sounds like you've lived in some interesting places!!

He may be better off with charcoal & a dutch oven. Not much you can't make with that combo.

Yeah, I hope he can enjoy a Thanksgiving dinner without having to cook. He deserves some pampering!! :)

HikerMom58
11-14-2012, 23:41
My wife, 'Overload', would take her dutch oven if it would fit in her pack. She cooks everything in it.

That's very true... I love to cook in it myself. :) I wish we could all hike together sometime... it would be so much fun. I'd love to meet everyone!!

hikerboy57
11-14-2012, 23:47
I won't be cooking for Thanksgiving. you there going up to my moms in Connecticut O'Reillys been invited over to a friends in long beach.her house was virtually untouched by the storm. she and her husband shrink wrapped her Mini Cooper the day before. serious.

hikerboy57
11-14-2012, 23:48
this voice recognition stuff is crazy. I'm too tired to edit but I have no idea who O'Reilly is.

Train Wreck
11-14-2012, 23:51
this voice recognition stuff is crazy. I'm too tired to edit but I have no idea who O'Reilly is.

could it be your Gaelic friend of whom we shall not speak?

hikerboy57
11-14-2012, 23:57
It would appear the one whose name may not be spoken has left in search of morons and idiots.

Rasty
11-15-2012, 00:03
Im cooking thanksgiving dinner for a small crowd. 480 people. Probably need a few extra turkeys.

on_the_GOEZ
11-15-2012, 01:46
To whom it may concern:

Since this 'Cafe' is an open-minded, say-what's-on-your-mind kinda thing, I suppose, I just wanna say..

Its been almost a year since my MEGA thru.. I miss it and think about the trail and my experience everyday. Its a matter of time until my next thru.

-Phenix

OzJacko
11-15-2012, 03:09
To whom it may concern:

Since this 'Cafe' is an open-minded, say-what's-on-your-mind kinda thing, I suppose, I just wanna say..

Its been almost a year since my MEGA thru.. I miss it and think about the trail and my experience everyday. Its a matter of time until my next thru.

-Phenix
This makes you a frustrated rather be hiking nerd on a computer keyboard.
The cafe is the preferred hangout for such people...:D

OzJacko
11-15-2012, 03:10
Really loved that shot of the aurora from Mt Washington!!
In "my" evenings I often look at the Mt Washington webcam and see some glorious dawn views.

OzJacko
11-15-2012, 03:11
New sign at the back of the cafe......
http://dailypicksandflicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/picdump-636-15.jpg

OzJacko
11-15-2012, 03:13
Budget camp stove setup!!
Suitable for use with cast iron dutch ovens!!!

http://franksemails.com/pics/misc-pics-5-1-09/image0011%20-%2020090104_110943.jpg

OzJacko
11-15-2012, 03:14
Did I see some posts about gaelic personnages???

http://franksemails.com/pics/motivational-16-1-09/1678_92%20-%2020090115_140334.jpg

OzJacko
11-15-2012, 03:15
I believe that storms have left a lot of amazing blowdowns on the trail....
http://franksemails.com/pics/cool-pics-9-4-09/image011%20-%2020090401_234417.jpg

OzJacko
11-15-2012, 03:19
I've been pretty quiet around here as have been busy with a few issues but good to see the cafe's been getting it's sense of fun restored and some new regulars popping in.
I've been walking regularly in the evenings with my wife as with <20 weeks to go before Springer I thought I should start getting serious about the size of the gut.:p

OzJacko
11-15-2012, 03:22
We have had a very dry winter but wet and mild spring.
Soon the hot stuff returns so while you've been breaking out the down gear, we had a new aircon fitted to the bedroom.:)

OzJacko
11-15-2012, 03:23
I am not just posting all these consecutive posts to waste time....

OzJacko
11-15-2012, 03:23
....in fact I have a very special reason for all of them.......

OzJacko
11-15-2012, 03:25
Time to put my favourite of all time AT YouTube videos on the worlds smallest big screen and put it on loop with the volume full up everybody because.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnFMQ2NAgyk
...I'm getting there!!:D

Mountain Mike
11-15-2012, 04:53
[QUOTE=on_the_GOEZ;1362005]To whom it may concern:

You suffer from LDTitis (a long distance trail hiker dependence) I am sorry to say there is no cure. You can maintain a stable life if you supplement it with often weekend outings & an occasional month or three or five hike. While in normal life organize your pics & journals from the trail. Look at maps & guides & plan your next hikes, or many of them. I suffer from same syndrome After AT it was on to PCT. Now looking at doing CDT in chunks. NM this spring! I'll check with HB & see if we can set up a support group for us on certain nights in here.

OzJacko
11-15-2012, 05:04

You suffer from LDTitis (a long distance trail hiker dependence) I am sorry to say there is no cure. You can maintain a stable life if you supplement it with often weekend outings & an occasional month or three or five hike. While in normal life organize your pics & journals from the trail. Look at maps & guides & plan your next hikes, or many of them. I suffer from same syndrome After AT it was on to PCT. Now looking at doing CDT in chunks. NM this spring! I'll check with HB & see if we can set up a support group for us on certain nights in here.
A support group would be good but as long as Rasty keeps some of the meat overcooked for me.:)
I need WB and the cafe to not drive my wife completely mad....!

Got my REI member card today (joined when I bought Daniels sleeping bag).
Current plan has me into Atlanta airport on 21st March and in REI (mostly for a browse) on 22nd!
May buy up big just before I return to Oz after finishing trail.:D

Mountain Mike
11-15-2012, 05:40
I remember that adrenaline surge before my AT hike OZ even though 25 years ago. I have my new boss talked into a month of in April for start of CDT. Hoping to get another week or two extended on before I go.

OzJacko
11-15-2012, 06:10
I remember that adrenaline surge before my AT hike OZ even though 25 years ago. I have my new boss talked into a month of in April for start of CDT. Hoping to get another week or two extended on before I go.
Early days but I see PCT as possible for me but CDT improbable. I do envy anyone able to do the triple crown.
On the plus side I see the Australian Alps Walking Track (650km) as "probable".:D

Capt Nat
11-15-2012, 08:22
Open minded? We are supposed to be open minded in here? I'm not open minded. I don't want to be open minded. Why do I have to be open minded. Just because yall are open minded doesn't mean I should have to be open minded. (crawling back behind the instant mash potato machine)

Old Hiker
11-15-2012, 08:42
open minded? We are supposed to be open minded in here? I'm not open minded. I don't want to be open minded. Why do i have to be open minded. Just because yall are open minded doesn't mean i should have to be open minded. (crawling back behind the instant mash potato machine)

QUICK, QUICK, someone hit the "on" switch! Free protein in the 'taters !

Oooops. "Behind" the machine. Never mind.

nitewalker
11-15-2012, 08:43
sorry to interupt but i thought some of you may enjoy these pics from mt washington observatory. they are the northern lights from tuesday evening.......https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151149100814685.470281.11654109684&type=1&l=9e17fbc0f2

Old Hiker
11-15-2012, 08:45
Anyone else wanna save post #7000 for hikerboy?

hikerboy57
11-15-2012, 09:01

man i need to hke in the worst way.just one day in the woods is enough to recharge the batteries. a week better, a month even better. half a year? would be best.
support group here is permanently open.

hikerboy57
11-15-2012, 09:03
Open minded? We are supposed to be open minded in here? I'm not open minded. I don't want to be open minded. Why do I have to be open minded. Just because yall are open minded doesn't mean I should have to be open minded. (crawling back behind the instant mash potato machine)

i am even open minded with closed minded individuals. maybe they are right?

Old Hiker
11-15-2012, 09:09
[QUOTE=Mountain Mike;1362024]

Hello. My name is Old Hiker and I wanna be a thru-hiker. My last attempt was 2012 and I only got 497 miles. I'm constantly looking at REI, CampMor, LLBean, SteepandCheap, Backcountry and WhiteBlaze online for lighter gear. I can't stop. I don't want to stop. I don't need to stop. You can't make me stop.

Unless you're a mud puddle.

OzJacko
11-15-2012, 09:11
[QUOTE=Mountain Mike;1362024]

man i need to hke in the worst way.just one day in the woods is enough to recharge the batteries. a week better, a month even better. half a year? would be best.
Not a hike but on Friday night my wife and I are going to her family farm as there is an "open" day on Saturday. 2200 acre farm with probably the only 800 acres of "virgin" bush within 50 miles. The local Environment and Conservation department have been studying the flora and fauna and are leading some walks and talks to show interested people what they have found on the place. Even my wife has been amazed at the range of stuff they have found so should be some fun.
May have pics after weekend.:)
From December until after I leave for Springer it is too hot to do much hiking here now.:p

OzJacko
11-15-2012, 09:12
Anyone else wanna save post #7000 for hikerboy?
Lets get closer to it for him.....:D

OzJacko
11-15-2012, 09:13
Lets get closer to it for him.....:D
I bet Rasty snipes him!!!

hikerboy57
11-15-2012, 09:14
[QUOTE=hikerboy57;1362070]

Hello. My name is Old Hiker and I wanna be a thru-hiker. My last attempt was 2012 and I only got 497 miles. I'm constantly looking at REI, CampMor, LLBean, SteepandCheap, Backcountry and WhiteBlaze online for lighter gear. I can't stop. I don't want to stop. I don't need to stop. You can't make me stop.

are you a bpl member?

hikerboy57
11-15-2012, 09:15
man i wish it wwas the "good ol' days" (anytime before October 29th)

OzJacko
11-15-2012, 09:17
[QUOTE=hikerboy57;1362070]

Your name puts you among your peers....:)
I'm a believer in succumbing to urges.
To do otherwise is the province of clergy.

Old Hiker
11-15-2012, 09:33
[QUOTE=Old Hiker;1362075]

are you a bpl member?

British Petroleum Litagator? Nope - I'm 30 miles from the Gulf and the spill never came near Tampa.

Namaste
11-15-2012, 09:34
sorry to interupt but i thought some of you may enjoy these pics from mt washington observatory. they are the northern lights from tuesday evening.......https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151149100814685.470281.11654109684&type=1&l=9e17fbc0f2

Great photos.....I would love to see those skies in person.

Gray Blazer
11-15-2012, 09:37
[QUOTE=hikerboy57;1362079]

British Petroleum Litagator? Nope - I'm 30 miles from the Gulf and the spill never came near Tampa.

Were you disappointed?