WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Fireweed - An Older Woman Who Hikes Solo and With Friends

I get questions about hiking solo on the Appalachian Trail and so will try answering them here. Although, you're never really alone on the AT. That's one of the things I like about it.

1. Cook Kit, Sleeping bag & Shelter: 5 days till departure

by , 03-24-2013 at 16:35 (Fireweed - An Older Woman Who Hikes Solo and With Friends)
    Today, Sunday, I decided to go with my medium weight sleeping bag rather than my summer bag. This adds nearly a pound but increases the temperature span considerably. This bag is comfortable to 20 degrees. I always figure the temp they give the bag is the BEST you can expect. Anything lower will be too cold. At least I'm rarely disappointed. I have a Sea to Summit Down bag.

Saw the tarp discussion on the threads. On the AT I've used my tarp to great effect. I've watched folks ...
  2. My clothing system for the AT 9 Days till take off

by , 03-20-2013 at 13:42 (Fireweed - An Older Woman Who Hikes Solo and With Friends)
    Deciding what to wear is such a personal thing. I know that every time I go out, I take less and less. This is the current version of the truth for this trip.

Base layer: Columbia bottoms -omni heat- I'm wearing them in the profile pic. Mt. Hardwear zip T for the top.

Hot weather: running shorts and Patagonia poly/wool T shirt - ultra light. Got it on sale for 70% off! Had a tiny snag :-) Love it

Cool weather: REI upf 30 Long sleeved button front. ...
  3. 10 Days to the Trail and Counting and thoughts on the under quilt.

by , 03-20-2013 at 01:26 (Fireweed - An Older Woman Who Hikes Solo and With Friends)
    Even though I've hiked the trail before and hiked other trails for years, I still obsessively review my gear, my plans, my food plans. I pack, repack; weigh and reweigh my pack. I go through my clothing and then head for the thrift shops looking for lighter shirts, or better vests or silk shells that are more comfortable than cotton t-shirts.

When it gets really hot, the silk is wonderfully light and breathable. Thrift store silk shells are less than a couple bucks. I toss them ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. How to Hike the AT

by , 03-17-2013 at 19:57 (Fireweed - An Older Woman Who Hikes Solo and With Friends)
    There are as many ways to hike the AT as there people attempting it. Each has their own method and each is valid. There is a continuum that goes from 'the kitchen sink' to the ultralight and everything in between.

I don't like crawling on the ground for any reason. Crawling in and out of a tent, particularly in the rain, is one of my least favorite things. Because I use a tarp and hammock, I almost never get my knees dirty. The tarp protects me better than my Hubba and the ...
  5. Will be on the trail again in April...or sooner.

by , 03-14-2013 at 19:02 (Fireweed - An Older Woman Who Hikes Solo and With Friends)
    Having done 1000 miles, I'm looking forward to the next big section. Looks like it will be either Delaware Water Gap southbound to Damascus, or the other way around.

Considering the weather, northbound from Damascus may be the better choice.

Some new gear will be with me. A cuben fiber tarp will replace the MSR E-wing. A Jacksrbetter bridge hammock instead of the Hennessey and an under-quilt instead of a closed cell foam pad. Guess I'm getting kinda uppity in my ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast