WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Comments

Hey thanks, Ill try and find the directions for the underquilt, but I think I get the idea youre talking about. Letting it hang underneath the hammock as opposed to laying directly on top of it.

I'm leaving in 2 weeks if I get everything done in time. Taxes, finishing up some design work, etc. Cant wait to leave it all behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Groomez
    What kind of underquilt do you have? I'm planning on padding it up or using my army whoopie as an extra layer underneath myself and the sleeping bag

The under quilt is a greylock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Groomez
    What kind of underquilt do you have? I'm planning on padding it up or using my army whoopie as an extra layer underneath myself and the sleeping bag
    I replied on the blog comments rather than here. I'm a real beginner when it comes to blogs. If you can't find that zip me another question and I'll "reply" rather than comment. Live and learn huh? When are you hiking and where?

Fireweed
    Groomez, I have a JacksRBetter down filled underquilt. I used a surplus poncho modified following Sgt. Rocks directions a year or so ago and it was warmer than the closed cell foam pad. My JRB is the shortest one, not full length. I'm only 5'5" myself so I can use the shorter ones. Anything you can place beneath the hammock and not compress, will be warmer than anything you actively sleep on in the hammock. It's the uncompressed layer that keeps you warm. I hope that helps, let me know if you need more info.

Fireweed