WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Food, food, food...

The grocery store (and even the convenience stores and gas stations) look a lot different now that I have my Hiker Goggles on.

Where I used to scan the shelves and look for best price or a favorite brand, I now find myself picking an item from the shelf and weighing it in my hand and deciding if it's worth the weight and volume it'll occupy in my pack. Never mind that I'm not actually shopping at that moment for food for my hike, the mindset has already taken residence and established ...

Updated 02-08-2012 at 22:48 by bgood360

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Torture Is...

an itch right in the middle of your back, about five minutes after you've got your pack perfectly adjusted and when you're just hitting your stride.

-- Hat, 2012 NOBO AT

Updated 02-08-2012 at 22:49 by bgood360

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. North Face Cats Meow vs the Osprey Exos 46, Part 3 (Finale)

I've been meaning to write this awhile, seeing as how I've resolved the sleeping bag vs. backpack issue.

As I mentioned earlier, I ended up buying a MontBell U.L. Super Spiral Down Hugger #5. The sleeping bag comes in at 16 ounces and compresses down to the size of a Nerf football. I know it was a rash decision, but I said "I'll take it!" as soon as I saw it stuffed into a small stuff sack and cinched down. But, even as I was making the purchase, I figured there was numerous ...

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. The North Face Cats Meow versus the Osprey Exos 46 (Part 2)

Thanks to all who offered via comments and PMs their comments, insight, and suggestions on my Cats Meow and issues with getting it stuffed into my Exos 46.

I ended up getting a mont-bell :: U.L.SUPER SPIRAL DOWN HUGGER #5 LONG from Village Outfitters here in W-S. Yes, I realize that the #5 is a 40° bag and the Cats Meow is a 20° bag, but I'm hoping that the tent, tent pad, sleeping pad, decent layering, hot water in a Nalgene bottle, and a little something to eat before tucking in will ...

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Tent Has Arrived!

So, about two this afternoon the dog wanted to go out. What do I find on the front porch but three packages:

one from the ATC;
    one from Amazon.com; and,
    one from LightHeart Gear.

More later about the first two items; let's get into the third. The tent had arrived and had arrived a day early.

As requested, it was brick red with a black floor. I had really considered something obnoxious like a bright yellow floor -- not to stand out from the crowd ...

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast