WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Comments

From one who has done it. I don't think you can start your hike any better than using the Hiker Hostel.
    Brittney,

I don't know about the rest of the trail. But on the GA leg Verizon is really carrier that works well.
    Just saying.
    I figure that is what I should have done. thanks for the advise. I think mailing it from town to town would be too much a hasle though I will just return the lap top (hopefully) and get an iphone or somthing close to it.
    Brittney,

Unless you got a very, very small lap top (like a net book) you will not want to carry it far. To connect to the internet you will need a Wi-Fi signal, which will only be available (most times) in town. Most people who have used a lap top on the trail, actually only use it in town and mail it between towns so they don't have to carry it. The other problem with a lap top is the very short battery life.

An iPhone or a similer featured Android phone will be better and many use these now days. You will likely want a phone anyway, so you might as well get one which does everything but wash your dishes. The only down side is not having a real keyboard to type with.
    To see what's around the next bend in the trail, to see what one can see from the next hill top, to see what's at the bottom of the next ravine, to see if tomorrow can be even colder/hotter/buggier/muggier/more uncomfortable/more sublime/more/more/more than what we see right now -- all good reasons to keep moving.

And, if it takes a grand adventure to sluff off the barnacle and burnish one's soul to a new shine, then so be it. Let others wallow in the eddies -- you take the middle of the stream and see where it sends you.