WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. We made it!

We walked a total of 146 miles yesterday. It took 17 days including 2 zero days. The children did amazingly well. I had more problems then they did. My feet are doing better now. I finally took my mole skin and just used it to tape my pinky toe to the other toe and whatever was irritating it stopped. I feel confident that my children will enjoy the hiking part of the trail. Next month we will practice camping with the gear that we will be taking.

The children now think that a small ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Blisters, Blisters, Everywhere!

We have had quite the adventure but it's not over yet. Just a couple more days and we will have walked a total of 146 miles. We experienced our first "trail magic" when Debbie gave us apples and oranges. We ended up trespassing and jumping a fence when we got stuck on a boardwalk after the ocean tried to swallow us. The kids surprised me with their resilience when we walked 6 miles of the beach and they collected shells weighing their packs down with an extra 5 pounds at least. That day ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Days 6,7,8

It's been slow going and frustrating. We have been finding it hard to keep near the beaches due to a lack of sidewalks and safe walking distance from the road. We can't walk on most beaches because of the dog. We finally made it to Jupiter but we made online reservations at a pet friendly hotel in California. We ended up staying at the next hotel and skipped a days worth of walking due to a lack of pet friendly hotels in the area that we walked to on Day 6. Since we were a day ahead we spent the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Days 4 and 5

Day 4 was a zero day and we needed it. My youngest had a fever most of the day and we continued the benadryl with some motrin for her insect bite. Although I think some of her sickness was probably from sun exposure. It was pretty hot on day 3. The rest of us just stayed in bed most of the day including the dog.

Day 5 went wonderful! We had rain for a lot of the day which made our walk much nicer in the cooler weather. We made great time and did close to 13 miles. But 2.4 of those miles ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Exciting Day 3

We made 8.8 miles today! I am surprised we have kept up the pace so far. Today we saw a manatee which is rare and exciting. We also found a little spotted owl that we have never seen before.
    My youngest ended up getting stung by an unknown insect on that back of both her legs while sitting in some grass. It started out as a local reaction and quickly spread out, from her thigh to her ankle. This happened close to the end of the day at which point we didn't proceed any further. She is currently ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast