WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Epoling

1. Week 1

Day 1: Springer Mountain to Hawk Mountain 8.6 miles
    Made good time and the rain held off till about 2. Walked an hour in the rain to find the shelter packed full. Squeezed in, intending to head on once the rain stopped. Decided to stay when I realized it was 8 more miles to the next shelter and it would likely be crowded too. Slept great and met some good people. Traded a shot of whiskey for a beer.
    Day 2: Hawk mountain to Gooch Shelter
    had a hell of a time repacking my bag and ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Leaving in a few hours

My dad and step mom drove me to Dalton Ga today. In the hotel now, pack all ready. Just gotta get up and driver to springer mountain in the morning and ill be on my way. Shooting for 7 am but it's calling for rain so that will likely slow my start a couple hours... It's unbelievable that I am leaving for this adventure tomorrow. Hope to have my first update from the trail tomorrow.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Gear list

90L high Sierra long trail pack
    6 shirts and a 1 long sleeve. None are cotton
    4 pair polyester socks
    40l dry bag small pot
    wAter purifier 25quarts
    flask
    60 ft of rope
    10 matches
    14 ounces of fire starter
    shovel
    zip tIes
    Pva drying ttowel
    pool float (bed)
    2 8x10 tarps
    first aid kit
    duct tape
    4 rolls tp
    compass
    sleeping bag.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Questions on getting with the pack.

So I am set to be on the trail first thing Sunday morning but still torn on where to start. I am not going to be able to make a complete thru hike this summer and I am really interested in a the festivals going on. But it seems like I am going to be so far behind that I won't get those experiences. Any comments on this? I can start wherever I want so does anyone think it would be a huge benefit to start further up the trail to try and get with "the pack" ?
  5. Jumping right in.

Hello A/T world,
    I have fantasized about this for awhile now. I am heading out in the next week to Springer Mountain. I'm off work for the summer as of yesterday and am attempting to put it all together in the next few days. I am sure there is a slang term for the style I am choosing to do this, as cheap as possible, no expectations, little experience. I've read a lot about the trail and the only thing I think I really have going for me is a strong back, long legs, and family to send me ...