WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Fat Fibromite Fakes Fitness For Freedom/Fun

A 46 year old, overweight woman with chronic pain and narcolepsy attempts a section hike of the AT with her two somewhat neurotic dogs.

1. I may have scared myself a bit

Maybe I need to stop reading everyone else's blogs and posts and comments, because they make it seem as though this is a VERY EXPENSIVE endeavor and I'll never be able to afford to do it.

I need to remind myself that I'm only planning on doing a small section. That I don't need top-of-the-line gear, especially if it turns out that I hate it (doubtful). I need to remind myself that I can MAKE a lot of the things I'll need -- I have a sewing machine, a ton of webbing and straps and clips ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Continued Training

We went to our favorite park, Red Mountain, yesterday. Let the dogs run in the enclosed dog park before the hike to let Gypsy work off her nervous "I'm riding in the car OMG!" energy and then went onto the trail. She's now wearing the backpack, although it's probably not going to make the trek on the AT: it's too small, old and starting to fall apart. But for a pack that's a good 10 years old, it's allowed to die. She's just getting used to the idea of wearing a pack over her harness and ...
  3. Step Two: Start training

Easier said than done. But as I'm posting to this journal, it's a journey of one step after the other. One step at a time.

Training for someone like me -- overweight, chronic pain, occasional balance problems -- is a very slow and arduous process. Add to that, I also need to train the dogs. I guess this is where I express my gratitude that I am owned by a Gypsy. She pushes me, nay, FORCES me to get up, get going, GO. Joker will happily snooze away the day with me in bed. He's used ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Step One: Commit to doing it

I'll be journaling here so I don't drive my friends crazy with all my planning, figuring, dreaming, etc.

So why did an out of shape, 46 year old woman with fibromyalgia decide she's going to hike a section of the AT with her two dogs? Because when we're out hiking, it's one of the few times I feel completely alive and at peace. It hurts. Walking up and down hills and putting miles on my feet and back HURTS. But then, I always hurt. I hurt just sitting and watching TV. I'd rather be ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized