WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. Starchild's notes at the 1/2 point

Tonight I am at Ironmasters Mansion and Hostel. A place just past the midpoint of the AT and where I will be spending the night. I did get here early spurred on by the half gallon challenge (AT tradition to eat a 1/2 gallon of ice cream in a hour). For me that turned out to only be a pint of mint chip due
    to depleted stocks of Ice Cream at the store. Being here has given me some time which allowed me to write a bit more.

Ironmasters Mansion also was perhaps part of the underground ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Starchild approaches the 1/2 point in the journey

There has been a lot going on and not much time to write. I will try to get some of this to you as its been a while since my last report.

First thing to mention is the last thing to happen. I crossed the Mason Dixon line into PA. The trail is a lot rockier as PA is known for as well as the place ( hiking ) boots go to die ( due to the sharp rocks). With that crossing I finally feel the huge accomplishment of walking from Georgia to here. From the deep south into northern territory. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Gear list

90L high Sierra long trail pack
    6 shirts and a 1 long sleeve. None are cotton
    4 pair polyester socks
    40l dry bag small pot
    wAter purifier 25quarts
    flask
    60 ft of rope
    10 matches
    14 ounces of fire starter
    shovel
    zip tIes
    Pva drying ttowel
    pool float (bed)
    2 8x10 tarps
    first aid kit
    duct tape
    4 rolls tp
    compass
    sleeping bag.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. DEET and ticks

Quote Originally Posted by fcoulter View Post
    I did my good deed for the week last weekend, feeding the ticks of Central Florida.

It's not that I wanted to, but my 25% DEET Off didn't appear to convince the ticks to bother someone else. I thought DEET repelled ticks.

So, what's the story on ticks and DEET. Does it have to be a higher percentage? Does DEET work on ticks at all? Does DEET break down over time -- it was an old container of Off?

(I'd recommend against the Longleaf Pine Trail's loop
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Starchild's Journey

In the last couple of emails I have dove into some of the very spiritual aspects of my personal journey. I have tried to just do a physical one but they seem to run together. My upbringing has me see the spiritual but will try to incorporate more of the physical in this one. I don't know how I will do on that we will see...

I want to thank you for the overwhelming support and want to report what means to me and my journey. It confirms that I am on the right path for my life. But it ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast