WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

bgood360

Stopped by Amicalola SP and Lodge Today

Rate this Entry
I'm taking my own sweet time driving back from Houston to North Carolina and made some time to drive up to Amicalola State Park and Lodge. If my impending hike wasn't real enough before today, it definitely is now. There's nothing like seeing a sign with "Hiker Check-in" to let you know this is where the fun begins.

I have reservations at the Lodge for the night before I start the Approach Trail, thinking that I would like to explore the park before hitting the trail. The Lodge is gorgeous, though I didn't arrive until after the sun set and thus probably missed the full impact of the views before it. It looks like there' lots to see and do in the park, so I should be plenty occuppied the day before I start my trek to Maine.

Currently, I'm holed up in a motel in Dahlonega, GA, not far from the park. It seems to be a happening little town and, despite the steady drizzle, the streets downtown wre paked with cars and people were walking to and from a variety of shops, restaurants, and some music venues. I would suggest if you have some time before your own hike that you check out this town and see what you find.

Only 11 days to go!

-- Hat, 2012 NOBO AT

Updated 02-20-2012 at 15:51 by bgood360

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I am so excited for you! I hope you are able to stay in touch on here while on the trail
    I plan on it. I've put together a list of places with Internet access and free wi-fi. Hmmmm, I should probably share that list.
    Your comments have done alot to ease my concerns about my daughter's upcoming thru-hike. I look forward to hearing how you are doing on the trail. Safe journey