View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Happy New Year from the author of Wander Women

Greetings!

In 2013, I resolve to share the Wander Women blog entries while we move closer to the publication of WANDER WOMEN: Dream Meets Reality on the Appalachian Trail. Grab a hot drink and visit http://www.megwilsonauthor.com/blog .

Once there, scroll down to enjoy videos and photos of all ten lady thru-hikers whom I chronicled as they backpacked southbound during the 2012 season. Some Wander Women may already look familiar to you. Others you will get to know over the ...
  2. 1st Day

We made 11 miles today! I found out that a good sports bra is just as important as the straps on your backpack. I am paying tonight for that lesson. We had a bit of an adventure and the kids had a good time. We had to deal with some chaffing today. I have bought some sports underwear, powder, body glide, and lidocaine. Our next issue is sore feet. My foot is sliding forward and my middle toe (which is my longest) is hitting the top of the shoe making the nail sore. I'm thinking better socks might ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Candida diet, dehydrated spaghetti video

Well my wife decided that we are going to eat a Candida diet until I go. I suppose it'll be good. It should be interesting to see how it goes given the major restrictions that are in place eating that way. On some level I feel like it'll prepare me for the hike. We'll see.

December was a wash for training. I thought it might be. Normally I have a letdown of sorts when I start projects like these... haha the AT is a project. I'm back into it over the last week and couldn't be happier. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Going on a walk

We are starting our long walk tomorrow. It will be a total of 150 miles. This exercise is about mental preparedness. I want to have an understanding of what it is like to spend several consecutive days walking. I am walking to a certain point every day and having my husband pick us up and drop us off. I am not concerned as much about equipment but we will have backpacks with our sleeping bags, water and food. During February we will have two or three shake down camp outs.

-Sully
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Another Cost for Thru Hiking - NH rescue fee

Quote Originally Posted by Datto View Post
    You would not believe the number of unprepared people I saw in The White Mountains on my AT thru-hike who were completely incoherent, ice-covered and unable to speak due to shivering. I was wearing every stitch of clothing I was carrying (gobs of clothing, multiple coats, two pairs of gloves, long-johns, the works) and I still was frozen to the bone -- the tourists I saw were in T-shirts and shorts. They had come through the same raging storm where I had been literally tossed up off my feet and
    Categories
    Uncategorized