View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Not the best timing

2012 was going to be a year when I did more section hiking than in previous years. The simple fact is that I can not continue to hike a mere 100 miles or so on the AT each year -- which has been my average over the last five years or so -- and have any hope of completing all 2100 miles. At age 58, the math and physiology are pretty simple. Thus, Shuttle and I looked forward to a significant increase in both (1) backpacking treks in the manner of
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entr...on-of-insanity ...
    Tags: injury, knee Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. diatribe

Hiked 8 miles and ended up at standing Indian shelter, we were going to press on but there was thunder in the distance and the sky was getting darker by the minute. So we decided to stay at standing Indian shelter for the night. It was pappa tatts, young blue eyes, Dave, Eddie a Danish chick and my self for the night. Later a dude (whose name I forget) showed up and ended up sleeping on the table under the awning of the shelter. I slept pretty well. Woke up the next day and it was pouring rain. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. t-storms and a short day

Woke up at the muskrat creek shelter and started to get ready to go. Hung around late though so I could set off with papa tatts and young blue eyes, both real characters from New Hampshire. Young blue eyes leads a good pace and papa tatts hikes a similar speed to me. They believe in taking good breaks along the way and both of them have a great sense of humor. We were planning on doing 12 miles but thunderstorms rolled in so we did 5 instead. I'm on half rations now, I have 1 1/2 days of food and ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. North Cakalaki

Hard day. Did 11 miles and crossed into NC. My topo map only covered GA so I wasn't sure what to expect. It was only 2.8 miles from the border to the shelter but it was about 2000 feet in elevation change. I bonked hard but I made it to the shelter around 430. Spent the night in the actual shelter for the first time this trip because they were predicting rain. Slept alright but not great, it only sprinkled for an hour then cleared up. I love going to sleep to the sound of rain on a tin roof though. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. crisis of faith

The last 2 days have been a little rough. I've been having trouble getting up in the morning and completing the miles I need to. I feel like I'm back to square 1. I'm hoping it's just because I haven't been drinking/ eating enough. I'm feeling much better this morning and am hoping to do at least 11 miles today. I'm not too concerned with big miles at this point as long as I can keep moving forward and knocking off some pounds. Things will get easier as I work my way up the trail. I have about 35 ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized