View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Asheville area get together

Once a month (at least) hikers and trail enthusiasts are getting together in Asheville. Come and stay connected! On April 10, 6-8pm we are meeting at the Bywater, http://www.bywaterbar.com/ . Bring some food to share or to grill. Let me know if you'd like to be added to the email list. Hope to see you there!
    Tags: events Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. hitting the road

Robbie's driving up from Hilton Head now, should be a long drive but I'll finally be out on the trail tomorrow morning. I'm happy for everyone who has given me help up until this point and know that this journey would not be possible without their support. Weather is looking good for the first week on the trail so I'm thrilled about that. Can't wait to finally get this journey started, I know it's going to be the experience of a life time!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Section Hike

Just returned from section hike from Springer Mtn. to Neels Gap with myself and my twin 15 y.o boys. As we started our hike toward the beginning of the A.T from USFS 42 they were ahead of me. The anticipation of starting had them ahead of me which was unusual. It came very apparent to me that the day of them following me were close to over in respect of hiking. I could'nt help but think of them following me all their lives with me impatiently urging them to just try to keep up. Now I realize ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. delayed

Unfortunately Robbie got called in to work tomorrow so I can't get up to the trail until Thursday, but at least I'm all packed up and ready to go! Packs a little heavy at 45 lbs fully loaded but I'll make due. I'm shipping my bounce box up to Hiawasse tomorrow but other than that I'm ready to go. The anticipation is killing me but on Thursday I'll finally be out there on the trail!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. first 4 days

The first day has been surreal! Got lost on the way to the trail and only had made to make 3 uturns to get it right. The hug good bye to my father almost brought tears to my eyes.

Off to the top of the springer for the first .9 miles was just an annoyance. I wanted to start what I had been planning for 5+ months.

The view out from the top was and early morning fog and snapped some photos before taking off for the start! Made a phone call to someone special, then jotted ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized