View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Planning thru AT 2012

I am a former Marine who is planning on hiking the AT thru hike next year. I am currently in school full time at MMI to be a Harley Davidson Tech. Big change from being a Marine Sniper to turning wrenches. Im really excited about the my thru hike. I was inspired to do the hike by another disabled Veteran who walked the AT in 2010 Casey Fulp. I have read several books and have my bookmarks full of AT or hiking links. Im always looking for tips and suggestions from current or recent hikers. I have ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Planning 2012 AT hike from southern terminus to Pa

Hello all: I am planning to hike the AT from the southern terminus to central Pa, starting in mid to late March 2012. I am interested in communicating with anyone who is also planning on starting the AT in Georgia around the same time. I am willing to share my planning and gear info and would like to hear the same from anyone who has any type of advice. I am new to hiking and really exited about my planning 2012 hike.

Hiker ex
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. The Beginning of the End

Hello trail world! I just got back from a section hike on the Appalachian Trail. During my three weeks hiking I heard about this site whiteblaze.net. The first thing I did was log on to see what it was all about and hopefully stay in contact with some of the characters I met on the trail. I am still getting used to the site, so I wanted to type up a quick post just to get it out there and let people know who I am. My trail name is Osama Llama. Why? In the beginning of my hike I tried to find a thru-hiker ...

Updated 07-07-2011 at 17:13 by Osama Llama

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Based on my choices from a week ago, I nominate myself for "Bonehead of the Year"

Firstly, I did NOT have the worst trail time ever. When my short section hike was over, all I had were insect bites.
    These were not mistakes of a careless newbie or lack of planning, prep, or thinking. I have (1) camped and hiked for decades, (2) day-hiked on the AT for years, and (3) done a few over-nights, to ensure I could do okay with just a pack.
    Nor was this over-ambition. For my first attempt at true back-packing, I chose a trip of about 45 miles of walking over four days walking ...
    Tags: mistake Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Wide Light Warm-Weather Sleeping Bag

Does anyone know of a 2 pound bag that is at least 35 inches wide in the hips?

I like to sleep with one leg hiked up at a 90 degree angle. And because I am 61 tall, this means I need a bag that is 35-36 inches wide in the middle. Since Im 185 pounds, it can be narrower at the foot and shoulders.

I found the North Face Mercurial bag (1 lb. 10 oz.), but as best I can tell (at its EU site) it is only 32 inches wide.

I have a 20 degree bag that is 36 inches ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized