View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Planning 2012 AT hike from southern terminus to Pa

Hello all: I am planning to hike the AT from the southern terminus to central Pa, starting in mid to late March 2012. I am interested in communicating with anyone who is also planning on starting the AT in Georgia around the same time. I am willing to share my planning and gear info and would like to hear the same from anyone who has any type of advice. I am new to hiking and really exited about my planning 2012 hike.

Hiker ex
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. The Beginning of the End

Hello trail world! I just got back from a section hike on the Appalachian Trail. During my three weeks hiking I heard about this site whiteblaze.net. The first thing I did was log on to see what it was all about and hopefully stay in contact with some of the characters I met on the trail. I am still getting used to the site, so I wanted to type up a quick post just to get it out there and let people know who I am. My trail name is Osama Llama. Why? In the beginning of my hike I tried to find a thru-hiker ...

Updated 07-07-2011 at 17:13 by Osama Llama

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Based on my choices from a week ago, I nominate myself for "Bonehead of the Year"

Firstly, I did NOT have the worst trail time ever. When my short section hike was over, all I had were insect bites.
    These were not mistakes of a careless newbie or lack of planning, prep, or thinking. I have (1) camped and hiked for decades, (2) day-hiked on the AT for years, and (3) done a few over-nights, to ensure I could do okay with just a pack.
    Nor was this over-ambition. For my first attempt at true back-packing, I chose a trip of about 45 miles of walking over four days walking ...
    Tags: mistake Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Wide Light Warm-Weather Sleeping Bag

Does anyone know of a 2 pound bag that is at least 35 inches wide in the hips?

I like to sleep with one leg hiked up at a 90 degree angle. And because I am 61 tall, this means I need a bag that is 35-36 inches wide in the middle. Since Im 185 pounds, it can be narrower at the foot and shoulders.

I found the North Face Mercurial bag (1 lb. 10 oz.), but as best I can tell (at its EU site) it is only 32 inches wide.

I have a 20 degree bag that is 36 inches ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Mouser

I would like to find Attila and Long Trail's blogs but can't seem to figure out where they are on this site. Any help would be appreciated. If Kdawg, Caver, Hook, Big Time, Bug Whisperer, Rocky, Hacker, Buddha or anyone else we hiked with this spring in the Nantahala National Forest and the Great Smoky Mountains has a blog here, I'm interested in them too. We caught 19 mice in shelters June 18-25, the week we hiked from Dick's Creek Gap to Fontana Dam!!! Finally our feet have dried out....sadly ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized