View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Hiking Supply near Harper's Ferry, W. Va.

If you are looking for any items like jet boil fuel, stoves or numerous other items, I recently found a real helpful supplier who is on the internet, but where you can also pick up items in his area. He's in Leesburg Va. It is www.windedbowhunter.com. Rudy is real conscientious and very helpful to AT hikers.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Poor Trail Identification Between Highways 17A & 17 in New York

I hiked the trail section between Greenwood Lake & Arden in New York last week and found the trail to be very poorly marked, specifically north of the Wildcat Shelter. I found many locations where blazes were needed or on dead trees lying on the ground. The trail was difficult to follow as I found myself lost several times. This is contrary to virtually all the trail I have hiked south of this location.

I'm extending a request to the New York/New Jersey Trail Conference to take ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Section Hike this weekend Oct 22 from Springer to Neel GAP.

I am starting this Saturday AM 10/22 a section Hike from Springer Mountain to Neels GAP. Just curious as to the trail traffic and condition of leaves and other info/news? I am planning on 4 days to complete this section. Please advise.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Bears at Dismal Creek, south of Wapiti shelter

Lots of bear activity across the ten mile stretch paralleling Dismal Creek. Keep your head on a swivel. Take extra care hanging your bear bag 10' X 10' X 10' out of their reach. They are hungry this time of year, getting ready for winter. Also saw a LARGE coyote, or maybe a wolf, in this area chasing 2 deer down a hill, passing 20' from us. We disrupted his chase with our cries of "wolf," the deer were running for their lives. Very exciting.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Section Hike 2012

Planning on 1st time section hike on April 8th 2012 for a several year to finish whole AT by 2017. Is April 8th an OK ate to start NOB at Springer? Total rookie and never hiked. Is anyone else out there starting around that time? I am going to do 2 weeks on trail and see how far I can make it. Anyone have any worth while advice?
    Categories
    Uncategorized