View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Don't give Hiking a bad name while in Trail Towns

I was in Hot springs today and was listening to two people at Outfitter store, some one actually took off the XL Black used old patagonia jacket and hung it on a Hanger and stole the brand new XL black MSR jacket, do you want to stay in a shelter with some one that would do such a thing , would you trust such a person, while your out getting water maybe that person would go through your pack and help themselves to your stuff, the person is probably passing through Erwin, TN right now. I happen ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Well here we go! Off to NY

4/13/11 0930 The Plan: rive from Hendersonville, NC to NYC today and start at Pawling, NY Saturday April 16, 2011
    2000: In West Virginia still driving north. We are very excited! We will arrive in Brooklyn, NY around 2:30am (hopefully) & will visit our daughter Tonia (Thurs. & Fri sight seeing). Saturday Tonia, Mike, Peanut (the chi dog) & I (Jenny) will take a train to the trail in Pawling, NY. Tonia will hike with us to Peekskill, NY and take a train back home after ...

Updated 04-13-2011 at 20:45 by Howzee

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Preparing for 2012 Thru Hike

Greetings fellow trailblazers!

I am preparing for the AT next year. I started in December 100lbs over weight and it took all I could muster to push myself out of myself easy chair. I can report that I joined the gym and am now 30lbs lighter - only 70lbs to go. What I have really accomplished, though, is the stamina to hike the Tram Road in Palm Springs - 4 miles up approximately, and 4 miles back. The hike averages 2 miles an hour because the road strarts at around 8oo' but ends ...

Updated 04-10-2011 at 12:54 by DesertCactus

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Archaeopterix

A great friend and prolific hiker - Archaeopterix is in need of our prayers. Archae has hiked the AT almost every year since 1997 and has completed the trail completely twice with only Maine to go for a third. He thru'd in 2004. During that year and hike he was diagnosed with leukemia and has battled the disease valiantly since. A native of New Jersey, he has lived in New Zealand for over ten years holding dual citizenship. This morning he called to say goodbye as his doctor believes he is ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Bailed from Hike

I didn't get very far. Had far to much weight and arthritis was much worse than I thought.
    Got as far as Hightower Gap and then got a ride with two wonderful female school teachers from Indiana to the Hiker Hostel where my wife picked me up. Talking about "trail angels"? These two ladies volunteered to carry my 51 lb pack for six miles to where they had parked while I carried their child carrier to Hightower. I met up with them at Hightower and they gave me a ride in. I don't think ...

Updated 04-19-2011 at 20:00 by BOBINJAX

Categories
    Uncategorized