WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. New to this site and looking for guidance

So I am looking for all the advice I can get. I am currently serving in the U.S. Army and will be getting out of the service mid 2013. I plan on getting home to New Jersey the old fashioned way, walking! I will be starting my trek in Georgia and plan on starting in November 2013. I know what some may think.....it's winter.....a little dumb. I was stationed in Alaska for 6 1/2 years and conducted many training operations exposed to the elements and temperatures as low as -25 for weeks at a time. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Part six

Use in researchThe Appalachian Trail has been a resource forresearchers in a variety of disciplines. Portions of the trail in Tennesseewere used on a study on trail maintenance for the Trail's "uniformenvironmental conditions and design attributes and substantial gradient invisitor use. Beginning in 2007, various citizen groups, including theAppalachian Trail Conservancy and the American Hiking Society, began a study tomonitor environmental changes that have resulted from higher ozone levels, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. major inter sections

Major Inter sections Listed from south to north.

Southern Terminus: Springer Mountain, Georgia

U.S. Highway 76 in northeast Georgia
    U.S. Highway 64 near Nantahala River, North Carolina
    U.S. Highway 19/U.S. Highway 74 near Fontana Lake, NorthCarolina
    U.S. Highway 441 at North Carolina/Tennessee border
    Interstate 40 at North Carolina/Tennessee border
    U.S. Highway 25/U.S. Highway 70 in Hot Springs, NorthCarolina
    Interstate 26/U.S. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. prt 5

The state line is also the western boundary of a 480 acre(190 ha) Connecticut reservation inhabited by Schaghticoke Indians. Inside it,the AT roughly parallels its northern boundary, crossing back outside it after2,000 feet (640 m). The trail proceeds northward through the Housatonic Rivervalley and hills to its west, veering northwesterly and, at Salisbury,ascending the southern Taconic mountains, at Lion's Head affording a viewnortheasterly towards Mt. Greylock and other points in Massachusetts, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. prt 4

Tennessee has 71 miles (114 km) of the trail, not includingmore than 200 miles (325 km) along or near the North Carolina Border. Thesection that runs just below the summit of Clingmans Dome in Great Smoky MountainsNational Park is along the North Carolina and Tennessee border and is thehighest point on the trail at 6,643 feet (2019 m). The Smoky Mountains HikingClub (Knoxville, TN) maintains the trail throughout the Great Smoky MountainsNational Park to Davenport Gap. North of Davenport Gap, the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast