WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. Adapting to Limitations

Right now, I'm 7 days away from my marriage date, and 69 days from my flight to the states. Preparation continues as planned - amassing grains, testing recipes, dehydrating fruits, exercising, testing gear.

One of my planning considerations is the state of my body. I had a rough and tumble autumn, the culmination of a pretty adventurous summer playing in the Alps. I trained up for a marathon in seven weeks, ran that marathon on 20 September, then, at the urging of a friend, ran a second ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Map Man's Mean Miles/Day in a Visual - a benchmark for competition

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    I am pleased to report that Achilles summitted Katahdin yesterday, and my wife and I were fortunate enough to be able to join him. Here is the final chart. He was slowed down toward the end by injury and by tragedy, but he persevered. We are very proud of him.

Lastly, if anyone likes the chart and is interested, I would be happy to pass along the Excel spreadsheet I used to put it together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Achilles AT Northbound Pace 20120629.jpg 
Views:	565 
Size:	239.4 KB 
ID:	30796
    Tags: planning Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. A little background info....

by , 03-22-2014 at 06:10 (My wife and I are planning to thru hike the AT in 2017)
    A month and a half ago, my wife, Karen and I, did a 4 mile trail hike. I noticed that she "lit up" while walking in the woods. We got to talking, like we always do, and she said that she always wanted to hike the Appalachian Trail.

Five years ago I started running again. After 20+ years of couch surfing I completed my first marathon 4 years ago and then did a sprint triathlon and finished my second marathon in November of 2013. I WAS planning on an Iron Distance Triathlon ...
  4. 10 Days to the Trail and Counting and thoughts on the under quilt.

by , 03-20-2013 at 01:26 (Fireweed - An Older Woman Who Hikes Solo and With Friends)
    Even though I've hiked the trail before and hiked other trails for years, I still obsessively review my gear, my plans, my food plans. I pack, repack; weigh and reweigh my pack. I go through my clothing and then head for the thrift shops looking for lighter shirts, or better vests or silk shells that are more comfortable than cotton t-shirts.

When it gets really hot, the silk is wonderfully light and breathable. Thrift store silk shells are less than a couple bucks. I toss them ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. About 150 miles behind me

With about 150 miles behind me, my feet and legs are feeling much lighter and stronger. The pace which I walk has also increased. I am ready to hit the trails again---( just waiting for hunting season to end at LBL) ---some good day hikes of 11 / 14 miles and I am planning on a 60 mile moderate to difficult hike which I done a few years back at LBL should help me decide on my finale gear list. My weight is still hovering around 288lb.