WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

KristalB

1. Got that "packs are in the trunk" feeling...

Yes, the packs are in the trunk and my son and i are on our way to our overnight accommodations. It will be an early morning start tomorrow morning as we bid our family good bye. Hiking the 82the miles to raise money for a village waterwell in Morogoro makes it all worth it. Walking for water so they won't have to.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Hiking for Water So the People in Africa Don't Have To

I was talking with Hiker Hobs the other day and he recommended that I post this. Here goes:

Students from our youth group are doing a walk for water raising money to dig a water well for 420 people who live in a village within Morogoro, Tanzania. It will support that village for 20 years. I thought it was an awesome cause... But I felt I could do a little more. My son and I agreed that we could probably raise more money if we did something a little more extreme.

In ...
  3. Ultralight Tent Research brings Reward!

I did quite a bit of studying, research, and weighing out the options (every def of weigh implied). I looked at LightHeart Tents, but I have Leki's screw lock poles. For those tents it was recommended to use slide lock poles and I saw their reasoning after watching a video review. To be honest, I liked the idea of using the poles I already carried to use for tent poles. I searched through the REI, EMS, and USOutdoors sites and compared countless tents against prices and features available. By ...
  4. Scenic Overlook on April 14

5. Rollin' into Spring 2012 with hiker gusto.

With 2012 being so mild up here in PA, the section hiker season started early for me. My friend and I have been doing day hikes since January and went on our first weekend hike of the season last week. It was GLORIOUS to be back out on trail.

So, after reading "Stick's Blog" for the past few months, I've been gathering ideas on how to make my pack lighter. During my hike I found that cutting back weight in my pack has put a pep in my step and a HUGE smile on my face. ...