WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. From Franklyn North Carolina to“The Belly of The Beast” Storm and Fontana Dam part4

That evening I setup camp at Locus Cove Gap where two brothers sat at the fire ring cooking supper. They were like me and several other hikers out at the same time, we are all hiking this year to Harpers Ferry West Virginia, a 1,012 mile hike. The oldest of the two carried a can of pepper spray on the shoulder strap of his backpack, he had all the bells and whistles too. Well I can’t hike with these guys I want to talk to a bear and film one. The camp had a lot of low spots and took my a bit of ...

Updated 01-28-2012 at 13:27 by Puma Ghostwalker

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. From Franklyn North Carolina to“The Belly of The Beast” Storm and Fontana Dam part5

I have no idea of the time when I approached the empty shelter at Cable Gap
    but it was a welcome sight……OMGess…..
    As I was setting up camp, this will be the very first time I will sleep in a shelter
    in the last 157 miles of my journey. Gathering wet wood for my Zip-stove really started getting on my nerves and here was no exception I was so frazzled from “the belly of the beast” storm. My stove smoked so badly from the wet wood all the time and carbon was building up on

Updated 01-28-2012 at 19:11 by Puma Ghostwalker

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. The North Face Cats Meow versus the Osprey Exos 46 (Part 2)

Thanks to all who offered via comments and PMs their comments, insight, and suggestions on my Cats Meow and issues with getting it stuffed into my Exos 46.

I ended up getting a mont-bell :: U.L.SUPER SPIRAL DOWN HUGGER #5 LONG from Village Outfitters here in W-S. Yes, I realize that the #5 is a 40° bag and the Cats Meow is a 20° bag, but I'm hoping that the tent, tent pad, sleeping pad, decent layering, hot water in a Nalgene bottle, and a little something to eat before tucking in will ...

Updated 02-08-2012 at 22:49 by bgood360

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Tent Has Arrived!

So, about two this afternoon the dog wanted to go out. What do I find on the front porch but three packages:

one from the ATC;
    one from Amazon.com; and,
    one from LightHeart Gear.

More later about the first two items; let's get into the third. The tent had arrived and had arrived a day early.

As requested, it was brick red with a black floor. I had really considered something obnoxious like a bright yellow floor -- not to stand out from the crowd ...

Updated 02-08-2012 at 22:49 by bgood360

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Tent Has Shipped

I woke up this morning to find in my inbox that my LightHeart Gear Solo was shipped and has made its way overnight up I-40 from Asheville to Greensboro, meaning that my new home away from home is a mere one county away.

Kudos to Judy Gross for taking the time to follow up on my order and clarify a few things.

I guarantee the tent will be set up in front of the cabin before the UPS truck hits the end of the driveway.

-- Hat, 2012 NOBO AT

Updated 02-08-2012 at 22:50 by bgood360

Tags: preparation, tent Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized