WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. Drifty Snow over Rooty Trails

Whew - today's training hike was interesting! Unfamiliar trails and recent snow made for some interesting hiking! Lessons learned: When in doubt ... GO SLOW. And my friend Sue gave me her hand warmers (they still had some life left in them after she ran this morning) - what a difference!!! The little bit of extra heat kept my fingers from going numb from the wind chill - wooHOO!! I hope I won't need hand warmers in April/May ... but they are so lite it can't hurt to take along a couple.
    Prep ...
    Tags: prep work Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. A little rough, but...

...here I am, on the iPhone pecking away at a stretched out editor screen. It is already less frustrating than Blogger for iOS.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. OFR does AT: Prep & Execution

I have a blogspot blog that I have a hard time keeping up with but it doesn't get any comments. This place looks like a better source for feedback so here I am. I haven't found a way to update this on a mobile platform (iPhone 5s) so this may get quiet when I am doing shakedown hikes or otherwise off the grid.

The blog is at www.BillCarlinOFR.blogspot.com

Back to lurking...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 3 months out

Well I am 3 months away from setting off on what is sure to be the grandest adventure that I have ever attempted. For those who are not yet up to speed on my plans, I am going to be doing a flip-flop hike of the Appalachian Trail starting in May. The trail stretches from Springer Mountain, Georgia to Mt. Katahdin, Maine. A flip-flop hike is one where you start somewhere in the middle, hike to one end, then flip back to your start and hike to the other end. In my case I am starting from Harper's ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Travis McGee, John Muir, and me, still in Cedar Key 15

"Sometimes I see me as an old manatee
    Heading south as the waters grow colder
    He tries to steer clear of the hum drum so near
    It cuts prop scars deep in his shoulders
    That's how it flows right to the end
    His body's still flexible but that
    Barnacle brain don't bend
    I'm growing older but not up
    My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck