WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. Reservations are made

May not be the best plan but I did set dates for the start/end of my hike and made reservations for my wife to pick me up between Aug 26 to Aug 29th. She had to have time to put in for vacation. This will give me 161 days leaving March 18th to hike 2200 miles; (13.7 a day with no zeros). From all I read even with 10 zero days this should be doable at 151 days at 14.6 miles. Worst case, I will be in New England August 26 by walking or other means; reservations are made.
  2. About 150 miles behind me

With about 150 miles behind me, my feet and legs are feeling much lighter and stronger. The pace which I walk has also increased. I am ready to hit the trails again---( just waiting for hunting season to end at LBL) ---some good day hikes of 11 / 14 miles and I am planning on a 60 mile moderate to difficult hike which I done a few years back at LBL should help me decide on my finale gear list. My weight is still hovering around 288lb.
  3. Give it a go at making a can stove

OCT 27, 2012

Was unable to sleep so I thought I give it a go at making a can stove. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY3366.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	654.0 KB 
ID:	17893 Didn’t turn out to bad for the first time, but does it work? Good question, we have no denatured alcohol to give it a try yet. However, getting to why I wrote this journal, I walked a few miles today and staying with my 1800 kal diet seems to be working out good. Come March 15th I am confident if I stay on course my goal of 250lb will be meet and hiking the AT will be pleasurable ...
  4. A bit tired but a good tired

Oct 23, 2012

Making progress got 7 miles in this morning and may do a couple more with my wife when she gets off work. As far as my weight 296 down from 305 a week and a half ago. Feeling good today a bit tired but a good tired if you know what I mean. Keeping an eye on my Kcal’s around 1800 a day is where I need to be, not so much watching what I eat. Should hit the 250lb mark by March and be in decent shape for the start of the hike.
  5. I feel much better than expected

Oct 22, 2012

So, after a nice weekend with the grandkids, it is time to put the miles behind me. Last week I meet my goal of five (5) miles a day and this week my goal is seven (7) miles a day. What surprises me most is how well things are falling into place. For the last few years my energy level has been almost none existent and just after a few days of getting my fat self up and out I feel much better than expected. Only compliant would have to be my feet are having a rough time ...

Updated 10-22-2012 at 13:52 by Sman

Categories
    From Plump and Sluggish to Slim and Swift
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast