WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Gearing up for Mass. hike

Only two weeks to go and I will start my first 5 day outing. On one of my last hikes (completing the CT section) I ran into a fellow hiker who I have now become friends with and plan on hiking the rest of massachusettes with. We plan to start in Great Barrington and head north to Williamstown/North Adams. The first day should be interesting as to make it to a shelter is about 19 miles and I have never hiked that far, luckily I just recently purchased a BA Copper Spur UL1 which will cut almost ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 12 days until my NoBo Thru Hike Attempt. First VIDEO!

Here is the link to my first video. I will be posting a gear list video today or tomorrow. I am going NoBo beginning on May 1st. That's 11 days away. Subscribe to my videos and go along for the ride with me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=5hgqdXbPcMU
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. It's raining and nasty here in Gatlinburg

Hitched into Gatlinburg yesterday after a beautiful sunset summit of clingman's dome the night before. The plan was to not stay in town today but the boardwalk-esque tourist trap ensnared us. We're sucking it up and hiking out tonight the three miles to the first shelter in the rain and possibly snow tonight. Here's to hoping the shelter isnt too full and we don't have to set up camp in the rain. Three nights from now I'

ll be in a hostel (so long as they don't have the plague there) ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. A night in Franklin

Feeling 100% recovered from whatever hit me last week. It was good to get back on the trail and just started with a couple short 6-7 mile hikes to test the body. Since then it's been back to steady 12+ miles and not feeling bad at all. A few milestones along the way since last post. Of course I have finally crossed the N.C. border. Hit the 100 mile mark at the fire tower on Albert Mountain. That was definitly a different climb, very steep and at times more like rock climbing. It wasn't too long ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Suggestions for Senior Thru Hikers

Quote Originally Posted by Coosa View Post
    What I've learned as a Senior Citizen as I prepare for a Pre-Thru Hike ... hiking the North Half of the AT starting next month ...

1- Get your physical and talk to your doctor ... and a Sports Medicine Doctor like I have will do what he must to keep me active ... IE ... Steroid/Novocaine shots in my knees ... After I hike this 'half-a-Thru' he's talking about a referral to an Orthopedist and getting shots that will replace the meniscus missing in my knees. I have arthritis in my knees