WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. Boots Got Sole

I just got back from the shoe cobbler and my favorite pair of boots is now resoled and ready for action. Sure, I could've bought another pair or gotten trail runners but, when push came to shove, I decided to go with what was comfortable and I've trusted before.

This particular pair of boots has seen me through all types of weather, all types of terrain, and all types of troubles. So, who am I to tell them they have to stay home this go 'round?

Here they sit, then, all ...

Updated 02-20-2012 at 16:37 by bgood360

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Planning my hike through the Shenandoah National Park

Well, as spring begins to show itself I find myself longing for the trail again. Since my last hike I have upgraded from my crappy $20 solo tent of doom to a new Hennessy Hammock Ultralight Backpacker A-Sym Zip. I have set it up in my backyard a few times just to get the "hang" of it and figure out how well I will be suited for this in place of grounding myself in a tent like I have been doing for 30 years. All in all, I am very pleased. I have caught a couple naps in it ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. what to expect for low tempertures?

Planing on starting in early April 2012 at Springer and do not know what to expect for low temps at night. Have been planing on using a 20 deg mummy bag but that may be over-kill. It weights in at just under 5 lbs. Along with my pack, tent, pad and cooking gear I'm at 19 lbs already. I'm soloing and only expecting to do a segment to Rt 64 in NC. I'm comfortable with as much as 35 lb load but less is always better. Can anyone give me an educated guess as what to expect as overnight lows.Perhaps ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. The Greyhound

I am sitting at the bus station waiting on a bus to Cincinati. I just said goodbye to Nicky a little while ago. I am a total wreck. I miss him already and I have not even left town yet. I left my teddy bear at home too and decided that I needed the pack space for my crocs instead.
    I also left my iPad at home. I have had it less than a week, but everyone convinced me that it wasn't worth the weight.*The good news is that my pack with food weighs *21 lbs. *The bad news is that I will ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized