WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Old bug repellent recipe

Quote Originally Posted by Surplusman View Post
    This bug repellent is basically Old Time Woodsman's Fly Dope. I bought a bottle of it when I worked on a grounds crew some years ago. It did a good job of keeping everything away, including people. It has a very pungent scent to it, and despite being careful about sealing the bottle and putting it in a small container, the scent would find its way out. The nice thing about it is, when you're in the woods awhile and you use that concoction, instead of smelling like sewer gas you have the aroma of
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Solio Bolt Solar USB Charger Backpacking Field Review

Video: Backpacking field review of the Solio Bolt, portable USB solar recharger.
    I used this product for 2 consecutive days of hiking in Harriman State Park in mid March. With no foliage to cover the sun but a chill in the air, I put this product to the test in a real life backpacking situation.

3. Asheville Hiker Get Together

Appalachian Trail enthusiasts of all types are getting together once a month in Asheville to stay connected and be merry. This month we are meeting at the Bier Garden http://www.ashevillebiergarden.com/ On Tuesday March 13 from 6 - 8 PM. All our welcome and encouraged to come. R.S.V.P. or just come and look for the white blaze!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Hoppy around on one leg

I am nowwith three weeks until my flight to Atlanta. The planter fasciitis, in my left foot went from a problem in the morning to impossible to walk on. I had switched from the Superfeet, orange inserts, to the green insert. Boots are Merrell Moab Mid waterproof light hikers. I heard that the green was better for backpacking? I hoped it would improve the Platers in my left feet.(wrong) The insert put pressure against arch near the heel of left foot, this was a warning sign that I ignored. Short ...
  5. Training for North Carolina

http://www.appalachiantrailsectionhiking.blogspot.com/
    Yesterday we loaded up our backpacks with 25 pounds for Wait-up and 15 pounds for me. Then we drove to Pond Creek bridge and walked up and down the hill on both sides of the bridge for a total of 7 miles. Time was 2 hours and 20 minutes. If you live anywhere around here, you know that the Pond Creek hills are pretty good ones; I crinch when I see folks riding bikes up the hill on either side of the creek.

Felt good to put ...