WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. Still thru-hiking

I know journalling hasn't exactly been my forte lately, but then again, neither has hiking. I kept opening WhiteBlaze, writing a few sentences, and ultimately deleting them and procrastinating. I'm currently in my own bed at home in Virginia, and I couldn't quite bring myself to tell all of you that my hike was over. I hiked out of Gatlinburg a few weeks ago feeling amped up and ready to hike. My left foot had been bothering me a little, but heck- it's the AT. Something always hurts a little. We ...
  2. Zeroing (again?) in Hiawassee

Well, I figured out the biggest challenge of being a solo female nobo. There are too many people on the trail to relieve yourself in private. It seems the goal is to stay dehydrated so you can be sure you're really alone and there wont be a plethora of other nobos passing you as you use the woods. It's almost a game of strategy- you have to keep in mind about 40 different people's hiking speed, what time they left camp, what time you passed them, and how many unknowns could be about to pass you, ...
  3. Not the best timing

2012 was going to be a year when I did more section hiking than in previous years. The simple fact is that I can not continue to hike a mere 100 miles or so on the AT each year -- which has been my average over the last five years or so -- and have any hope of completing all 2100 miles. At age 58, the math and physiology are pretty simple. Thus, Shuttle and I looked forward to a significant increase in both (1) backpacking treks in the manner of
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entr...on-of-insanity ...
    Tags: injury, knee Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized