WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. FLorida Flatlander in Training

Since I'm a Florida Flatlander and need some hill training before starting any AT hikes, I was thinking the Great Eastern Trail in Alabama may be a good place for tune hikes. However, it appears that there has been little activity on the GET web sight for several years. Does anyone know of updated sights? Or better yet, is there anyone with experience with the northern section of that trail?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. hike 2012

Have a tentative job that would start in July. Would need to hike to trail in 4 months or start super early. Is this possible? Ay suggestions?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Didn"t make the MD trip....maybe spring of 2012?

Hiking partner has a bad paw....I'm taking a rookie up to PA for a 3 day hike from Shippensburg Rd to Caledonia...If he likes it - he might join me & others in the spring of 2012....

Slow & Steady....
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Cell and Satellite Connectivity Along AT

I am planning for my thru hike and am curious about bring my iPhone, iPad, or similar lightweight device to use a a multipurpose source of information, entertainment, and communications. I know from my own experience it has been spotty here in Georgia depending on elevation and location.

Have any of you found any of these type devices useful, or just dead weight?

Any experience with a phone and Spot Tracker using satellite to send email and connect in the backcountry? ...
  5. '12 thru hiking help.

hello.

I'm planning a thru hike for 2012, ideally i'd like to leave springer early april, on the day my father died, and summit katahdin on his birthday, early october... the trek is do-able but I dont know when the "best" time to start would be.. some say march, some april.. what have been your experiences and your opinions??

tent or hammock
    internal or external
    food drop or be "creative"

decisions decisions
    Categories
    Uncategorized