WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Newbie

My buddy and I are newbies to the App Trail. We plan on making the hike from GA to Virginia. Any suggestions as to what we need to carry/ not carry? I've read the books and have spoken to several people who have either thru hiked or section hiked. Any further general advice, tips, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Water in GA?

Does anyone have any recent info about water availability on the 36 miles between Neels Gap and Dicks Creek? Are streams and creeks running? Are there many water spots or just a few locations? Trickle or good flow? Thanks, "MOTRIN".
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Curious

There is more than enough blogs and posts about what to pack for a thru hike but all of them seem to be orientated around the starting of a thru hike. I'm curious what was in your pack when you reached Katahdin. ie: cooking system, sleeping system, food, clothing, misc odds and ends etc.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Old bug repellent recipe

Quote Originally Posted by Surplusman View Post
    This bug repellent is basically Old Time Woodsman's Fly Dope. I bought a bottle of it when I worked on a grounds crew some years ago. It did a good job of keeping everything away, including people. It has a very pungent scent to it, and despite being careful about sealing the bottle and putting it in a small container, the scent would find its way out. The nice thing about it is, when you're in the woods awhile and you use that concoction, instead of smelling like sewer gas you have the aroma of
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Solio Bolt Solar USB Charger Backpacking Field Review

Video: Backpacking field review of the Solio Bolt, portable USB solar recharger.
    I used this product for 2 consecutive days of hiking in Harriman State Park in mid March. With no foliage to cover the sun but a chill in the air, I put this product to the test in a real life backpacking situation.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast