WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Chip Irons

Wide Light Warm-Weather Sleeping Bag

Rate this Entry
Does anyone know of a 2 pound bag that is at least 35 inches wide in the hips?

I like to sleep with one leg hiked up at a 90 degree angle. And because I am 6’1” tall, this means I need a bag that is 35-36 inches wide in the middle. Since I’m 185 pounds, it can be narrower at the foot and shoulders.

I found the North Face Mercurial bag (1 lb. 10 oz.), but as best I can tell (at its EU site) it is only 32 inches wide.

I have a 20 degree bag that is 36 inches wide (ALPS Mountaineering), but at 3 lbs 11 ounces, it is too much for early August on the AT in southern Vermont.

Does everyone else sleep with their legs together? I can’t be the only one who likes one leg straight and one leg bent. It seems sleeping bag manufacturers are missing this niche of backpackers.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Not much out there to meet your needs. Semi-rectangular is the way to go, but few manufactures make them. My Western Mountaineering 0 degree lets me sleep in the position you describe but too warm for summer backpacking.
    Try a Montbell Spiral down hugger. I sleep like that and it is big enough for me . They STRETCH a lot.