WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. 4/3 Little Laurel Shelter

Hot Springs to campsite in woods a couple of miles short of Little Laurel Shelter. Approx 17 miles. Enjoyed a great night at Laughing Heart Hostel. Feel like I have a head cold but w all the down time in Gatlinburg, I decided to press on. Hiking out of Hot Springs, the trail is literally on the sidewalk on Bridge St. Stopped at diner and has glutton man special. Whenever u leave a trail town, u kn...ow u have a steep climb and today was no exception. Morning was sunny but cool as I made the steep ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. saved by trail angel

Lady Jane rescued me from freezing rain at Woody Gap and drove me to Neels Gap, where I bunked the night in the Hostel. Trouble is , she left with my trekking poles! Will resume no later than 3 today, what a painful, exiliarating adventure
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. It all begins tomorrow.

Tonight finds me about 15 miles from Amicalola Falls in a very nice Holiday Inn Express. There are comfy beds, really nice high pressured hot showers and a free breakfast. I am ready, so ready, to trade that all in for an air mattress on the ground, damping rain washing my face and a quick boil breakfast of oatmeal and a breakfast bar. My pack comes in about 6 pounds more than I would like but I'm willing to start with it and also willing to bet that somethings are going to be dumped soon into the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Zeroing (again?) in Hiawassee

Well, I figured out the biggest challenge of being a solo female nobo. There are too many people on the trail to relieve yourself in private. It seems the goal is to stay dehydrated so you can be sure you're really alone and there wont be a plethora of other nobos passing you as you use the woods. It's almost a game of strategy- you have to keep in mind about 40 different people's hiking speed, what time they left camp, what time you passed them, and how many unknowns could be about to pass you, ...
  5. Too Cold and Too Windy

by , 04-03-2013 at 10:44 (Fireweed - An Older Woman Who Hikes Solo and With Friends)
    Having left the trail at Wind Gap we started into town. The locals stared with blank faces and we were grudgingly allowed to fill our empty water bottles at the home store. If this had been a B grade horror film we would check in at the local hotel and wake up dead. BUT, it isn’t a B grade movie so we did a 180, stuck out our thumbs and hitched into Palmerton, one of the friendliest towns on the entire trail.

Our ride, two great folks from the area, deposited us at the Town Hall ...