WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Trail Angels Need Angels Too!

I got to know Trail Angels Arla, Chris, and their son Josh when I was hiking through Bennington, VT last fall. I was directed to their house by a coffee shop barista and though they were taking a hiatus from being a hiker sanctuary at that time, graciously allowed me to rest my bones there for a couple nights anyways, as always free of charge. Anyone who has ever met this wonderful family who welcomed a steady flow of hikers to rest at their house on any given night for years, knows of their unwavering ...

Updated 09-12-2013 at 09:58 by Laura Minx Barnett

Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arla 2.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	23952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arla.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	23953  
  2. Greetings and Salutations

I would like to take this moment to say hello to everybody and tell you a little about me and my plans. As of November 1, 2013 I will be retired. I am retiring after over 25 years in law enforcement. Prior to that I had 11 years as a firefighter. Needless to say I have spent the better part of my life helping those around me. The one person I have neglected for most all of this time was me. This and other reasons are why I decided to join the class of 2015. I would like to go earlier but ...
    Tags: midlife Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. The Maine Event & Season Finale – Part 5 – Rangeley

Rt 16 out of Stratton toward Rangeley is a really delightful ride. It was level, nicely shouldered and well-paved enough to allow one to enjoy its scenic bounty at a brisk 55+mph. We made exceptional time on this leg of our adventure. We did experience one brief delay, however, brought about by the presence of that ubiquitous yet elusive, monumental Maine mammal and the holy grail of New England wildlife enthusiasts…..a moose…or more precisely, a pair of moose. I’d never experienced a roadside sighting

Updated 09-16-2013 at 10:49 by Teacher & Snacktime

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. The Maine Event & Season Finale – Part 4 – Stratton

After our short 14hr nap in the luxury accommodations of the reclining front seats, Snacktime and I awoke refreshed and ready to hit some more of the road. We bade Yogi our Savior adieu (after a photo of course) and headed back onto Rt 201N, with a goal of locating Rt 16/27 W and the Stratton trailhead. We stopped en route in Kingfield for breakfast at the Dam Diner, a punny little general store with a lunch counter in the back and (according to Snacktime) the best chicken burgers in the world.

Updated 09-08-2013 at 11:52 by Teacher & Snacktime

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. The Maine Event & Season Finale – Part 3 – In Search of …Sleep

I have an impeccable sense of direction, and pride myself on being able to find my way to and from anywhere, working on a system of interpretation, logic and intuition. Unless I’m overtired; then I can’t find my way across the street (never mind back again). Thus, our trip to Caratunk took a bit longer than expected, as we drove for over an hour in the wrong direction. (Who knew that the Rt 16 East wouldn’t take us west? Jeez…some mapmakers are SO literal!) However, after a wonderful dinner of ice

Updated 09-08-2013 at 05:43 by Teacher & Snacktime

Categories
    Uncategorized