WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Fontana Dam...Dang it's Cold!!!

I will catch you up all later on the past 3 weeks, but wanted finally to get something documented. Got to Fontana Dam yesterday and today I took a zero. Planning on starting up through the Smokies tomorrow. Kind of nervous because it has been so cold since I started March 1st. Those of us starting on that date have already had 3 snows and the other day rain, hail and thunder and lightening. Staying at the Fontana Lodge - beautiful but hardly any reception to post pics on Facebook. Rooming with Wet ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 3/21 Fricking Freezin!!

Fricking Freezing! Fontana Dam to Spencer Field Shelter - 16.5 miles. Crossed over Fontana Dam w rising sun at my back and entered the Great Smoky Mountains. Today was a total power day with below freezing temps and frigid in your face wind. Unlike previous days, it never warmed up - I could only press on. Tonight calling for frigid temps again so I am going to climb in my bag and try to warm up.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Packing done

All food packing is done for the first part of the trip. At least. Now, for the backpack. All is done on the home front too.
    My feet are starting to itch for the trail.:)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 3/20 Fontana Dam Shelter

Tomorrow- the Great Smoky Mountains! Today hiked 12.7 m from Brown Fork Gap to Fontana Dam. Very chilly night but no frozen water bottle. Hiked all day alone but at midway met a mountain man right out of central casting. Long grey beard and green felt hat! We chatted a bit and he told me tonight is going down to 12 degrees! Thank God Jan had surprised me with a silk cocoon- 10 additional degrees of warmth added to my inadequate 30 degree bag- it has saved me from misery! Tomorrow I hike into ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. day three. sleeping in luxury

Hi from the AT. It is day three and 31 miles or 1.5% of the journey. This night I will be staying at a hostel took a shower and will be sleeping in a real bed. For the first two days hiker Earthgirl has been with me and had helped ease the transition from the old world I am leaving behind an the new one that I am beginning to experience. I thought as she drive away it would be a moment of pause known that my way back home was that trail thru the woods. I thought that I would feel very far from ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized