WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. 3/26 Random Thoughts on the AT

More impressions of life on the AT:

The stars down here are so bright and twinkle so brilliantly that they almost seem fake.

The best camp site has level ground, a killer view, a log to sit on and a flat rock to place your stove.

Can't dry a roll of wet toilet paper. Like gun powder you must keep your tp dry at all costs.

The AT is the ultimate boot camp.

... Sometimes I feel like the guy on the Planet Fitness commercial.....I ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 3/26 Still Stuck in Gatlinburg

Severe weather alert remains in effect throughout the day ( that and the fact that the road leading to the trailhead at Newfound Gap is still closed) so it looks like I will be spending another day here in Gatlinburg. Can't change the weather so I might as well just go out and enjoy the day.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. 24 Hours till take off/

by , 03-27-2013 at 12:26 (Fireweed - An Older Woman Who Hikes Solo and With Friends)
    Here in Anchorage, Alaska it's minus 12 degrees. That makes the 30 and 40 degree temps in PA & VA look pretty tropical. Tomorrow I fly from AK toward NY. I should be on the trail Saturday. I've generally hiked solo but this time I'll hike with Seldom Seen and Doc. It's possible that 4-Iron will join us if the weather where we are is better than the weather he's headed toward. Is that a "hikers only concept?"

No changes in gear. Still staying with the warmer bag ...
  4. I'm awake way too late to be summiting tomorrow.

I can't believe I'm summiting Springer in the morning. I guess for most NOBOs it's exciting because it means they're actually starting their trip. For me, it's not only the beginning to another journey, but also a goal i walked towards for 648 miles last year. It wont be under the circumstances I had dreamed of last summer, but it's certainly still monumental for me.

My mom and I drove down from D.C. today, and I talked her into summiting with me, which cements the fact that I wont ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Journey in the Smokies...

Day one into the Smokies was an 11 mile hike up to Mollies Shelter and got me to the ridge line of the Smokies. Overcast and cold. That night it rained and then woke up with the plan to hike to Derrek Shelter. Hiked in the mist and some rain. Got up on the next day to rain and could not decide whether to hike and get to the base of Clingman's Dome or stay at the shelter. We met a trail runner on the trail and he said for us to get up and over Clingman's Dome on Sunday, because a snow storm was coming ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized